SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hind_sight_gw

Some questions about starting seeds indoors

hind_sight
12 years ago

Hi all, I am starting a bunch of seeds indoors this year and have read a lot of posts here, and a lot of information in books and on websites. I live in Northern GA and am starting a lot of my companion plants indoors(marigolds, nasturtiums, borage, dill, lovage), and some of my early veggies (broc/cauliflower, cabbage).

This is my first attempt at starting indoors. From what I have read, most sources seem to agree that a good strategy is to start in small square seedling trays under fluoro light, then once the first true leaves appear, transplant them to a larger pot and hold indoors under lights until it is time to plant outside.

I'm doing this in a spare bedroom of my house. I have the ceiling fan on low to keep the air ciculating. Room temp is a pretty constant 68 to 70 degrees. I have a seed heating mat that keeps soil temps to about 75 degrees and when a seed sprouts, I remove that seedling from the heating mat. The seedlings are in individual square eggcarton type plastic trays, 6 to a cluster. I usually wait until at least 3 sprout before removing from the heating mat. I have a hood with three 4' T8 bulbs that is 3" to 4" above the seedlings. The light is on a timer 12 hours on, 12 off in order to simulate the same daylight they will get when moved outdoors in April. I have read you can leave the lights on for longer but I don't know if that will cause the veggies to do strange things when the light suddenly goes from 24 hours to 12/12 and then the days slowly get longer as the season goes on.

While the seeds are germinating well and growing very fast, they are all leggy. Even the seeds that sprouted at the same time and were removed from the heater right after germination. I read that sometimes lack of light can do this so I swapped out my T8s for a 250 watt High Pressure Sodium setup, placed about 2 or 3' above the plants (and set on the same 12/12 timer). That didn't help though the plants are growing fast.

Any advice on how I can keep these things from getting so leggy? What am I doing wrong?

The last question is in relation to what to do after transplanting to individual pots after the first set of leaves show up. My house is an older one and surrounded by tons of trees so natural light through a window is just not an option as I get so little of it. I can't imagine a few T8 bulbs will keep the seedlings happy and prevent them from stretching out as they start to get 4 or 5" tall, and that is sure to happen before the last front in mid-April rolls around. What do I do with these plants between now and then? I'm planning on building a small cheap PVC framed greenhouse outside but this early in the season, am concerned the frost will penetrate it at night. Any ideas as to how I can keep the plants happy indoors for another month or so before I begin hardening them off?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)