SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neohippie

some ?'s about starting onions indoors

neohippie
14 years ago

I've been Googling and looking through my garden books, but I still can't find very satisfactory information.

I'm trying growing regular bulb onions from seed for the first time instead of buying plants. In my area I was told to start short-day onion seeds in October and then plant the plants out in late Jan./early Feb.

In Oct. I planted my seeds in my garage under grow lights. I just leave these lights on all the time, since I don't have a timer and I have trouble remembering to turn them on and off. Leaving the lights on all the time is how I've done it for years and it works find with tomatoes, peppers etc. The garage is cool but rarely freezes. I have a thermometer in there and lately it's been in the 50's at night and 70's in the day.

The worrying thing is now my onions have a definite swelling at the bottom of each plant, even though the plants are still tiny (the leaves are about the thickness of chives). Then it occured to me that onions are day-length sensitive! Maybe by leaving the lights on all the time I've confused them into thinking it's summer and they're trying to grow bulbs?

Or is everything ok and they're supposed to look like that? The transplants from the garden center look just like green onions from the store, with no suggestion of a bulb at all, so that's what I was expecting for my home-grown transplants.

If I've totally messed things up, then what is the right way to grow onion transplants? If I put them on a timer, how many hours of light should they get? (I really can't find specific info on how many hours of light baby onions should get.) Should I just have planted the seeds directly outside?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (5)