SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thesorting_house

Need help with soil mix, I'm completely lost !

Ok I'm admitting defeat, I have spent almost two months researching DIY succulent and cacti soil, but can't seem to grasp it....help!

I live in Mediterranean France and currently have my plants indoors due to frosty nights.

I have about 4 containers of propagation attempts, and some new additions... All waiting for a well draining, gritty mix to reside in.

I've made several mistakes already and would like to move forward and make the best of what I have.

I have standard potting soil, soil adapted for citrus plants and orchid bark to hand.

Also, impossible to find Pumice or Perlite, I leaped when I found un-calibrated Pouzzolane, which I think is lava rock? After realising it wasn't as straight forward as that, I have been trying my best to sort it for smaller sizes 4-6mm?, but can't seem to find a soil sifter that suits and it is very tedious by hand. Currently using a pot with largeish holes to get the smaller pieces separated... I don't think this is the best use of anyone's time?

I have coco coir....should I just avoid this? Or could I substitute 1 part of soil for 1 part of coco coir?

All chicken grit I've come across here is predominantly oyster!

River rocks, and small gravel is rather pricey at the aquarium place.

The builders sand I found : the chap kindly gave me a bucket to test before buying, I sifted it, and quite frankly I don't think worth the expense or wastage - I would recuperate about 15% of the bag after sifting it was so fine.

I despair, this evening I thought I had it together, with ;

1 part coarse (sifted) sand

1 part pouzzolane (sorted, between 1mm - 7mm pieces)

2 parts bagged soil (sifted to remove bark and organic matter prone to rot)

I tested my mix by watering a pot with large drainage hole (and no plant), the water pooled, clogged and is still trying to fully drain an hour later.

Please can someone help me, I would be forever grateful if I can nail this soil prep thing, for a reasonable budget, and with the things available to me locally.

Comments (10)