SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

How to extend growing season of bleeding hearts(dicentra spectabilis)

In my area they typically go completely dormant in beginning of august. How can I extend it up to late september? I'd like them to stay active at least until fall officially starts which is after september 22nd. And I know this is possible because the Japanese wikipedia for this plant said it usually goes dormant by september.

Comments (49)

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

The more moist it is, the longer to dormancy. September is asking a lot!

• Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Really? If I keep watering it everyday in August until september, won't it last until september?

• Related Discussions

When does Bleeding Heart emerge in Zone 5? Plus siting question

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks to you both. Floral_uk, that picture is luscious! 2 to 3 feet tall, that is pretty tall. I have wanted some for so long, that the temptation for the ash tree bed has to put them right down in front. I will resist and put them in the back. The bluebells are in the middle; the bed is about 10 feet deep and 40 feet long. The bluebells are gradually seeding, but not taking over by any means. The foliage disappearing works out okay for that spot. I mostly just wanted those large flowers. If I decide I want some in the front, and persistent foliage, I guess IâÂÂd better get some fern leaf types as well. Perhaps I should go ahead and plant 4, and just save 2 as the fill ins for the first bed if the potted ones planted there donâÂÂt make it. I am concerned about how long I can keep these bareroot, though. I have them in the cool dark garage. Laceyvail, do you have both? Bleeding heart and bluebells? If so, do they bloom at more or less the same time?
    ...See More

Dicentra/Bleeding Heart - How to collect seeds?

Q

Comments (3)
    I collected seed from Lamprocapnos spectabilis (formerly Dicentra spectabilis) last year. I waited until the pods began to look a bit beige coloured and then tied small plastic bags over then loosely. Paper or fabric would be better but paper wouldn't survive our weather and I didn't have fabric to hand. So I used plastic but made sure they were very loose. When the pods ripened the seed simply fell into the bags. I then sowed them immediately into a pot of seed compost and left them outside for the whole winter. I finally saw sprouts in late March this year. They have now been potted into small pots to grow on. I find that I don't get much ripe seed even though they flower well and from the 10 or so seeds I sowed I have only 4 baby Bleeding Hearts.
    ...See More

Bleeding Heart (Dicentra Spectibilis)

Q

Comments (11)
    I have a couple of them that are doing well. They didn't bloom the first year. Last year they had 2-3 little blooms. But this year they really put on a show. They have gotten about 25" long stems and are covered stem to stern with blooms. I even went so far as to yank out a bunch of larkspur growing up around them so I could see them. I have them on the north side of the house in full shade and planted in very sandy soil amended with compost. In the same bed I have an oak leaf hydrangea that's over 5' tall, some ferns, a echinacea (have no idea how that got in this bed), hydangea mycrophyla, rock rose, and a few other things whose names escape me now. But it seems to like that shady, sandy spot. Cheryl
    ...See More

Does anyone grow Dicentra aka Bleeding Hearts

Q

Comments (4)
    Yeah, you guys got your hands full with that nematode. Hey we're no Florida but it rains cats and dogs up here too sometimes. Never saw that touch Dicentra. In fact, it is precisely the moister summers where it hangs on longer. Still, you know your area better than I do. I just don't tend to think of hardy temperate-zone plants like this as being especially good bets for any part of Florida. Plus...there's just so much more to grow!
    ...See More
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago

Yes moisture and the deeper the shade the longer the foliage will last, but they will not bloom quite as well in deep shade.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok how about extreme heat and humidity even without sunlight?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

There is more than one species of bleeding heart. Are you comparing the same kind?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have both ample moisture and shade. And moderate temperatures. Lamprocapnos spectabilis still don't last until September. It's not in their nature.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

wishes and dreams may not change genetic tendencies ...

ken

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Mine peter out in July because I don’t baby them. I don’t know if September is possible anywhere...,

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

I live in a wooded area with a high water table..bleeding hearts should last as long here as anywhere..my neighbors have had them for years..it doesn't seem long after blooming before they yellow and go down..when I finally bought 2 last year on clearance (already yellowing) I planted them in my BACKYARD behind some ferns..didn't want a frontyard location like the neighbors..

Original Author
    6 years ago

Well nevermind then lol this plant is out of my list

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Heruga, you are not clear on why you need this plant to appear looking good for so long. Other than some BLE's, very few plants look good all season or longer - they all have their peaks and valleys and herbaceous perennials generally ALL have a shorter season of interest (or looking good) than most other plant types.

What exactly is wrong with allowing it to go dormant on its own sechedule? If you are clever with selection and siting, something else of interest should be drawing one's attention when the bleeding heart starts going over and it should be virtually unnoticeable. This is what good landscape design is all about!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Its not because I'm too lazy or not willing to work around this plant in terms of landscaping. I just don't like how a plant leaves too early when the growing season isn't even over yet. I know this sounds ridiculous but it feels a bit sad when all my other plants are still around but that one plant has to leave first. If the majority of herbaceous perennials have the standard spring to fall active growing season then I expect all my perennials to be the same. Many perennials in my area look perfectly ok until november. At least every perennial I grow except paeonia japonica and convallaria majalis looks good until mid fall. I only have one plant in my list that doesn't have a long active period, which is arisaema heterophyllum, but that plant is just my only one exception because its just so unique. So unless that early dormant perennial has some outstanding characteristics, I simply won't grow it. I'd like to keep my garden as full as possible with every plant still showing at the same time.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Not a fan of ghost lilies, i take it. Lol.

This has to be the weirdest think I’ve ever heard.

Why not just plant evergreens if you can’t handle change????

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    6 years ago

So you will miss all the magnificent spring ephemerals--trilliums, shooting stars, bellworts, Virginia bluebells, trout lilies etc.--just because they don't hang around all season? You shoot yourself in the foot.

Original Author
    6 years ago

You guys have your preferences and I have mine. I don't think I'm missing out on anything because to me the different bloom times indicate the 'change' and 'something going on every month' that you guys say.. Not plants going dormant. And of course when plants don't bloom in winter I go to the conifers to enjoy. And no it wouldn't look dreary at all because no flowering perennial looks the same all year round... Unless you have a garden with only ferns, mosses and conifers nothing will look the same all year round lol. Why do I need to have early dormant perennials when there are still plenty of long active perennials out there that are equally as beautiful???

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Same bed in March, May and August. All the plants leaf out and flower in their seasons and there is no problem with either emerging or dying foliage. Each wave hides the previous one.

Of course you don't have to have early dormant perennials, but without them you are denying yourself huge numbers of beautiful plants which are among the earliest flowers in the garden. Are you really not going to allow yourself that joy? No bulbs at all?

Original Author
    6 years ago

Thats a very nice garden. But for my garden, its not all about the physical looks of it. Well of course I do like the appeal of all the beautiful flowers and foliage and I do choose plants based on its looks to but to me it feels lacking when one plant goes missing while the growing season is still on. Even if they have finished blooming I still would like to have the foliage there and again not because of how the foliage looks nice but because of the mentality that the plant is still there in the garden for me...

I do have some bulbs in my garden and 3 of them are also in my future garden list. These three bulbs stay active for a long time though unlike most other bulbs. I've got lycoris radiata which bloom in august and foliage stays active until following mid-late spring, lilium lancifolium which stays active spring through fall, and allium schonoeprasum which I use for food but they have very nice flowers. They all last all season long. So not all bulbs bloom and die off early in the season.

I do have a lot of bulbs in my current garden right now that are early dormant bulbs that my dad planted years ago.. spring blooming crocuses, a lot of daffodils, some tulips, grape hyacinths. Yes they are stunning when in bloom but they won't be in my future garden once I move out and buy my own property.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

This is the weirdest conversation GW has ever had on the garden side....

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    6 years ago

Yes. The way the garden changes through the season is to me one of its greatest charms.

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Indeed, for me, a plant that goes dormant just allows creative plantings on top of it. For me, dicentra spectabilis looks old and tired before it disappears and I'm more than ready for it to depart..usually in June.

• cecily
    6 years ago

We each have our own styles. Heruga prefers a Japanese style garden and his space is limited (suburban lot) so he's making the best choice for him. Milly (above) is being hateful. My dicentra spectabilis is a large clump three feet tall & wide. It looks crummy from late June until mid August. Every summer I think about whacking it back prematurely because it's so big and ugly. It's in a corner knida out of the way so I do my best to ignore it. I understand why Heruga would choose to edit it out and that's his choice.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

I kind of like a discussion that debates the merits of seasonally disappearing plants. And Heruga is a young gardener, and who knows how he will feel in 10 years about this issue. My strategies as a gardener have changed considerably over the years.

IME I need to put such plants where the dying foliage will be hidden by other plants. When I first started planting bulbs I didn't think about how they would look in June as the foliage died off, and now I have a number of bulb clumps that need to be dug and shifted to spots farther back in the beds. And like Heugera, I do look for plants that have a long season of interest, although I can't imagine spring without daffodils even if they are one-shot wonders. They extend my relatively short gardening season as a whole, blooming during a time when we can still get snow when little else is blooming other than a few early shrubs and other bulbs.

• LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    6 years ago

Hey, whatever floats your boat, Heruga. Not my style or interest in the least, but if it makes your loins quiver...work it!

And to answer your original question, this is highly unlikely unless you look in the florus plasticus family.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Learning to deal the vagaries of the various plants in one's garden is a basic skill for a gardener. WE don't get to decide the 'growing season' - they do. And how they behave at different times of the year is part of their many features. I learned very early on in my career as a gardener that plants do not perform on schedule or necessarily to my wishes. They are living beings that are responding to their own biology. You either accept that requirement for flexibility or choose not to grow them if you just can't put up with what they offer. We have seen similar discussion on here many times, most recently with respect to oriental poppies, whch many choose not to grow because they too start declining rapidly after their bloom season. Heruga and the bleeding hearts are really no different :-)

But I would also encourage young gardeners like Heruga to be much looser in their requirements for their plants and more flexible in their expectations. And that is because it is a very valuable learning experience! Many of us here have been gardening longer than Heruga has been alive and have arrived at the point of gardening proficiency we have simply through an enormous trial and error learning process that touches on all of this. As Babs notes, what we started out doing or planting early in our gardening years has no doubt changed radically as we have gained more plant knowledge and understanding. I know it has in mine!!

Also, Heruga has expressed an interest in landscape or garden design and I would also encourage a lot of experimentation with a wide variety of plant types to that end. A good designer needs to have the skill set to deal effectively with these plant peaks and valleys and that is best accomplished by growing them themselves in a garden setting.....a least on a temporary basis :-) The experience that this engenders will make one better able to deal with client demands and generate satisfactory or even superior results.

So I would encourage Heruga to step out of his comfort zone and narrow requirements for his plant choices and try everything that is of interest (and not just because of Japanese origin or long season of attraction) and LEARN about all different plants and how to combine them. If he chooses not to include them in his own personal garden that is still down the road a few years, so be it, but at least he will have learned a lot in this early period of experimentation and that will only help as he progresses in whatever horticultural career he chooses to pursue.

6 years ago

@cecily - why do you think Milly is being "hateful"? I've not read anything in Milly's comments which would make me think that.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Some posters are often so blunt in their comments as to border on being rude. And it often just involves a better choice of words or a bit more tact :-) And less of a tendency to promote one's self as an authority on pretty much any subject/topic/forum they care to comment on. Opinions are fine and always welcome if they are expressed as opinions (and politely) and not as an absolute or definitive answer. Few - if any - of us are that skilled or knowledgeable!!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the advice gardengal. Yes I'm only 23 and I've only been seriously gardening for a year and a half and I know what I've experienced and learned so far is baby level compared to some of you who has been gardening for decades. But I do deal with a variety of plants at my job. Whether they are non Japanese native or early dormant perennials or non deer resistant I still use them for my design. And my whole workplace used to be on top of a mountain so my boss says he wants a lot of natives. So I do experience with different plants like that but when it comes to my own garden I prefer to have plants that adhere to my requirements. But who knows it'll be at least 10 years until I'll be able to buy a home and have my own garden so stuff could change until then. I am trying to let go of my stubborn mind of not letting early dormant perennials in my garden.. Maybe I could have At least one or two of them in my garden. Cardiocrinum cordatum is currently in my head lol

• cecily
    6 years ago

@ La Lennoxa - she used the word weird in both comments and told him to just plant evergreens. Were those remarks kind, thoughtful or helpful to the OP?

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Well, I will kinda echo some of the above, though in general. In life, children often will decide that one thing is the best in the world and want to only eat that one thing. As adults, we learn to savor diverse flavors and I hope, most of us have learned to try it before we make a face and say it's Yucky.

Sometimes the new dish is good. Sometimes it's not, but we have to be open to trying it. We may not like it.

6 years ago

In my vocabulary, "weird" is nowhere near "hateful". All posters have the right to express an opinion, and I've certainly seen my share of ones that aren't necessarily kind, thoughtful or helpful - indeed, I may have expressed plenty of those myself, and have been the recipient of same in threads I have posted. But again, for the purposes of this thread in case anyone thinks otherwise, let it be known that this is just my humble opinion.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Yea those comments weren't helpful or pleasant at all.

• posierosie_zone7a
    6 years ago

This is an interesting thread. I respect the OP's unique perspective although I interpret the plants so differently. I like ephemerals - they seem special and magical just popping up for a bit then fading away. Blink and you miss it! Kind of like cherry blooms and very colorful Fall leaves - special and also fleeting. Maybe more special because it is fleeting.

I find it interesting the OP finds bulbs to be impermanent as they can be the few plants that will last on a peice of land for generations - often coming up in areas where the original garden is long gone. That is one of the reasons I plant bulbs. I don't disagree though- they do fade and leave empty spots. I DO get sad when they go.

That said, gardening is about joy and enjoyment. I can understand the OP's thought process- something is "dying" in the midst of what should be a celebration of life. I think it's a visceral reaction for him. He should plant what makes gardening enjoyable to him and not what we say he should enjoy.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

If you didn’t grow up gardening, that would explain a lot, taking your age into account.

No plant is static throughout its season. They all look better or worse. The skill in garden design is making the seasons dance. Trying to squash something so changeable into a flat picture is only going to leave you frustrated. Dicentra leaves no hole when properly placed. It blooms, and then it sleeps.

It’s like someone saying they want cats that just sit nicely on a chair and don’t move around so much.

I have a hussy bed. It’s a bed that people walking and driving by see. I cram it full of long-bloomers and ephemerals and a few annuals to get maximum flower impact from March to the end of November. I plant scented things and stuff that brings clouds of dancing butterflies.

But I call it my hussy bed because it’s lovely but also cheap and easy. I take far more delight in my difficult and complicated spaces.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey guys I decided to give it a go on arisaema serratum var. mayebarai. Nevermind on arisaema heterophyllum. The arisaema goes dormant I think around august. The black blooms on the arisaema are just too unique to pass!

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Actually I suspect the foliage will yellow by July for arisaema, but I agree they're a neat woodland ephemeral. There'sa lot of those.

I grew it once...but it escaped (ie died due to poor drainage).

Original Author
    5 years ago

I took this picture of this dicentra spectabilis today and it looks like it's just started to yellow. Last year this same plant completely died out by the beginning of August. This year it still seems to be going despite 10+ heatwave periods we had so far this year. Anyone know what could cause this.

• snow (4/5)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I wonder if its roots have gone deeper and can better sustain the plant ? Their roots are formidable, in a good way! Can you add something that grows later to shade it? Depending on how much room there is.

I love my dicentra spectabilis , but have moved them to deep shade...the pink blossoms are wonderful in the shade even under mature birch trees and they bloomed for many weeks this summer .

Original Author
    5 years ago

Snow, where are you and was that pic taken recently? The bleeding heart I saw is the residents plant where I work at. It's very shady there.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

In the garden mine are pretty much cut back, but I do have one that seeded in on the north side of a building and it is still quite green. It receives a lot of moisture in that spot.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

are you in one of the areas that had a long extended cold spring???

just thinking out loud .. sorta .. lol ... if it has a 12 week active period ... if you start that period 2 weeks later... then wouldnt it last 2 weeks longer ???

its an example.. i didnt do the math ...

in my frozen winter ground MI ...BHs come up rather late ... because the soil has to warm thru the whole deep root mass ... so an extended cold spring delays it all ... [as compared to things that are much shallower rooted ...]

ken

• snow (4/5)
    5 years ago

Heruga, I took the picture yesterday. I’m in Anchorage Alaska, we have cool, moist summers allowing the bleeding heart stay green, but only in shade. I’m glad your bleeding heart at work is staying fresher this year...

when I moved mine last fall to the area under birch trees, the roots were enormous and didn’t skip a beat coming up beautifully this spring, and were less floppy in the deep shade.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh yes.. I forgot. We did suffer a terrible spring. Snow persisted until the second week of April and temperatures really didn't warm up until May. That is probably why then. And on top of that we had a very very rainy summer(still rainy needless to say) so maybe delayed dormany break+excessive moisture is allowing the bleeding hearts to stay. At least in my area. Snow, since your all the way in Alaska it makes sense the bleeding hearts still persist. I think bleeding hearts don't go dormant until frost in extreme northern areas.

• snow (4/5)
    5 years ago

Heruga, you’re right about northern climates... in a ‘good’ summer they sometimes do go dormant. I posted to offer up my theory about the root having matured, but Ken and your theories about the cool spring makes a lot of sense. We had a cool spring too, and are making up for it with lovely sunny weather now, fingers crossed!

I wonder if you’d give the bleeding heart where you work a companion or two? Do you do the gardening there (sorry, I didn’t read the whole thread). I’m enjoying astilbe immensely right now, and have recently learned to love brunnera. Shade plants look so tidy.

• StevePA6a
    5 years ago

Heruga, have you tried any of the golden foliage bleeding hearts? In my garden the Gold Heart, and White Gold varieties, typically stick around nicely the whole season.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Snow, yes I do help residents do gardening pretty often but the bleeding heart was already there. Shade plants would be nice if there is actually shade without maples!

This is the first time I've heard of a golden foliaged bleeding heart. I may look into it. Though typically I am not a big fan of any golden foliaged plants.

• snow (4/5)
    5 years ago

Heruga, You’re nice to help the residents, they must appreciate that! I purchased 3 more dicentra ‘alba’ this year, they have lovely pure white flowers. I also love the dicentra ‘valentine’ on which the flowers tend toward red rather than the clear pink. All are lovely! I have a golden foliage one, very pretty but it catches my eye, making me feel like it’s fall all summer long. (Our main fall color is gold).

My problem isn’t that the dicentra turn brown (due to my cool climate, they stay green), rather they get terribly floppy and that’s why I’m moving them to deeper shade, we don’t have maples but lots of birch.

i like calling them lady’s locket, doubt I’ll ever get used to lamprocapnos

Original Author
    4 years ago

Still around now even though we had a super early spring this year. Why some years they go dormant early and some years not?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

Moisture and temperature.