SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

When does Bleeding Heart emerge in Zone 5? Plus siting question

Chicago area. I bought 2 large potted ones last year (the old fashioned kind, Dicentra spectabilis, one pink, one Alba ). Plus I planted a small white bareroot about two years ago, which actually came up and bloomed last spring, to my surprise, considering what an unimpressive thing it was as a single root about as thick as my little finger and twice as long.

I'm making plans for where to put the 6 new bareroot Dicentra spectabilis ones I just bought. The new ones have mostly huge, impressive roots. If the ones planted last spring and the spring before don't make it, then I'd like to plug in one of these. I opened them all up to see if they were dry. None have sprouted, though one of the ones I bought today has a bit of mold on it. Is the moldy one likely to die, and best returned?

The rest will go in a shade bed with ash trees that is mostly hosta, astilbe, and true geraniums later in the season. In early spring it has bulbs and Virginia Bluebells.

How does the height and bloom time of Bleeding Heart compare with Virginia Bluebells?

With these other plants, does this seem like a good environment for bleeding heart? Thanks for the help.

Comments (8)