SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 11 - 18 - 17 page 1

User
6 years ago

Pierre Bayle Quotes
French - Philosopher November 18, 1647 - December 28, 1706

It is thus tolerance that is the source of peace, and intolerance that is the source of disorder and squabbling.
Pierre Bayle

The antiquity and general acceptance of an opinion is not assurance of its truth.
Pierre Bayle

I know too much to be a sceptic and too little to be a dogmatist.
Pierre Bayle

It is pure illusion to think that an opinion that passes down from century to century, from generation to generation, may not be entirely false.
Pierre Bayle

There is not less wit nor less invention in applying rightly a thought one finds in a book, than in being the first author of that thought.
Pierre Bayle

Properly speaking, history is nothing but the crimes and misfortunes of the human race.
Pierre Bayle

I am a good Protestant, and in the full sense of the term, for from the bottom of my soul, I protest against everything that is said, and everything that is done.
Pierre Bayle

Sojourner Truth Quotes
American - Activist November 18, 1787 - November 26, 1883

If women want any rights more than they's got, why don't they just take them, and not be talking about it.
Sojourner Truth

There is a great stir about colored men getting their rights, but not a word about the colored women; and if colored men get their rights, and not colored women theirs, you see, the colored men will be masters over the women, and it will be just as bad as it was before.
Sojourner Truth

I am not going to die, I'm going home like a shooting star.
Sojourner Truth

That little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.
Sojourner Truth

The Lord gave me 'Sojourner,' because I was to travel up an' down the land, showin' the people their sins an' bein' a sign unto them. Afterwards, I told the Lord I wanted another name 'cause everybody else had two names, and the Lord gave me 'Truth,' because I was to declare the truth to people.
Sojourner Truth

The slaveholders are terrible for promising to give you this or that, or such and such a privilege, if you will do thus and so, and when the time of fulfillment comes, and one claims the promise, they, forsooth, recollect nothing of the kind; and you are, like as not, taunted with being a liar.
Sojourner Truth

God will take care of the poor trampled slave, but where will the slaveholder be when eternity begins?
Sojourner Truth

I tell you I can't read a book, but I can read de people.
Sojourner Truth

We do as much, we eat as much, we want as much.
Sojourner Truth

It is the mind that makes the body.
Sojourner Truth

I know and do what is right better than many big men who read.
Sojourner Truth

Good man! Genuine gentleman! God bless George Thompson, the great-hearted friend of my race.
Sojourner Truth

Religion without humanity is very poor human stuff.
Sojourner Truth

I have plowed and planted and gathered into barns, and no man could head me. And aren't I a woman?
Sojourner Truth

The rich rob the poor, and the poor rob one another.
Sojourner Truth

Where there is so much racket, there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the Negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon.
Sojourner Truth

Oh God, you know I have no money, but you can make the people do for me, and you must make the people do for me.
Sojourner Truth

Truth is powerful and it prevails.
Sojourner Truth

Those are the same stars, and that is the same moon, that look down upon your brothers and sisters, and which they see as they look up to them, though they are ever so far away from us, and each other.
Sojourner Truth

If the Lord comes and burns - as you say he will - I am not going away; I am going to stay here and stand the fire, like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego! And Jesus will walk with me through the fire and keep me from harm.
Sojourner Truth

It is written that there shall be a separation, and the sheep shall be separated from the goats. The other preachers have the sheep; I have the goats. And I have a few sheep among my goats, but they are very ragged.
Sojourner Truth

The Lord only knows how many times I let my children go hungry rather than take secretly the bread I liked not to ask for.
Sojourner Truth

When I preaches, I has just one text to preach from, an' I always preaches from this one. My text is, 'When I found Jesus.'
Sojourner Truth

Though it seems curious, I do not remember ever asking for anything but what I got it. And I always received it as an answer to my prayers.
Sojourner Truth

When I got religion, I found some work to do to benefit somebody.
Sojourner Truth

Charles Buxton Quotes
English - Public Servant November 18, 1823 - August 10, 1871

In life, as in chess, forethought wins.
Charles Buxton

The rule in carving holds good as to criticism; never cut with a knife what you can cut with a spoon.
Charles Buxton

You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it.
Charles Buxton

If we do what is necessary, all the odds are in our favor.
Charles Buxton

Success soon palls. The joyous time is when the breeze first strikes your sails, and the waters rustle under your bows.
Charles Buxton

Experience shows that success is due less to ability than to zeal.
Charles Buxton

The first duty to children is to make them happy. If you have not made them so, you have wronged them. No other good they may get can make up for that.
Charles Buxton

Silence is sometimes the severest criticism.
Charles Buxton

To make pleasures pleasant shortens them.
Charles Buxton

Cesare Lombroso Quotes
Italian - Psychologist November 18, 1835 - 1909

Genius is one of the many forms of insanity.
Cesare Lombroso

Good sense travels on the well-worn paths; genius, never. And that is why the crowd, not altogether without reason, is so ready to treat great men as lunatics.
Cesare Lombroso

The appearance of a single great genius is more than equivalent to the birth of a hundred mediocrities.
Cesare Lombroso

The ignorant man always adores what he cannot understand.
Cesare Lombroso

Unfortunately, goodness and honor are rather the exception than the rule among exceptional men, not to speak of geniuses.
Cesare Lombroso

Klopstock was questioned regarding the meaning of a passage in his poem. He replied, 'God and I both knew what it meant once; now God alone knows.'
Cesare Lombroso

William Gilbert Quotes
British - Composer November 18, 1836 - May 29, 1911

He combines the manners of a Marquis with the morals of a Methodist.
William Gilbert

When everyone is somebody, then no one's anybody.
William Gilbert

Man is nature's sole mistake.
William Gilbert

In the discovery of secret things and in the investigation of hidden causes, stronger reasons are obtained from sure experiments and demonstrated arguments than from probable conjectures and the opinions of philosophical speculators of the common sort.
William Gilbert

If you wish in this world to advance your merits you're bound to enhance; You must stir it and stump it, and blow your own trumpet, Or, trust me, you haven't a chance.
William Gilbert

You have no idea what a poor opinion I have of myself and how little I deserve it.
William Gilbert

Philosophy is for the few.
William Gilbert

We will hang you, never fear, Most politely, most politely.
William Gilbert

No one can have a higher opinion of him than I have, and I think he's a dirty little beast.
William Gilbert

The House of Peers, throughout the war, did nothing in particular, and did it very well.
William Gilbert

My family pride is something inconceivable. I can't help it. I was born sneering.
William Gilbert

I always voted at my party's call, and I never thought of thinking for myself at all.
William Gilbert

And I always voted at my party's call, and I never thought of thinking for myself at all.
William Gilbert

Dorothy Dix Quotes
American - Journalist November 18, 1861 - December 16, 1951

Confession is always weakness. The grave soul keeps its own secrets, and takes its own punishment in silence.
Dorothy Dix

Nobody wants to kiss when they are hungry.
Dorothy Dix

We are never happy until we learn to laugh at ourselves.
Dorothy Dix

There isn't a single human being who hasn't plenty to cry over, and the trick is to make the laughs outweigh the tears.
Dorothy Dix

I have learned to live each day as it comes, and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. It is the dark menace of the future that makes cowards of us.
Dorothy Dix

It is a queer thing, but imaginary troubles are harder to bear than actual ones.
Dorothy Dix

You never saw a very busy person who was unhappy.
Dorothy Dix

The price of indulging yourself in your youth in the things you cannot afford is poverty and dependence in your old age.
Dorothy Dix

Clarence Day Quotes
American - Author November 18, 1874 - December 28, 1935

The ant is knowing and wise, but he doesn't know enough to take a vacation.
Clarence Day

Ants are good citizens, they place group interests first.
Clarence Day

You can't sweep other people off their feet, if you can't be swept off your own.
Clarence Day

If your parents didn't have any children, there's a good chance that you won't have any.
Clarence Day

Age should not have its face lifted, but it should rather teach the world to admire wrinkles as the etchings of experience and the firm line of character.
Clarence Day

Information's pretty thin stuff unless mixed with experience.
Clarence Day

A moderate addiction to money may not always be hurtful; but when taken in excess it is nearly always bad for the health.
Clarence Day

There is an art of reading, as well as an art of thinking, and an art of writing.
Clarence Day

We talk of our mastery of nature, which sounds very grand; but the fact is we respectfully adapt ourselves, first, to her ways.
Clarence Day

Too many moralists begin with a dislike of reality.
Clarence Day

We must make the best of those ills which cannot be avoided.
Clarence Day

If you don't go to other men's funerals, they won't go to yours.
Clarence Day

Creatures whose mainspring is curiosity enjoy the accumulating of facts far more than the pausing at times to reflect on those facts.
Clarence Day

Reason is the servant of instinct.
Clarence Day

Wyndham Lewis Quotes
English - Author November 18, 1882 - March 7, 1957

It is more comfortable for me, in the long run, to be rude than polite.
Wyndham Lewis

Prostration is our natural position. A worm-like movement from a spot of sunlight to a spot of shade, and back, is the type of movement that is natural to men.
Wyndham Lewis

I feel most at home in the United States, not because it is intrinsically a more interesting country, but because no one really belongs there any more than I do. We are all there together in its wholly excellent vacuum.
Wyndham Lewis
Home, Together, Interesting
Revolution today is taken for granted, and in consequence becomes rather dull.
Wyndham Lewis

If the world would only build temples to Machinery in the abstract then everything would be perfect. The painter and sculptor would have plenty to do, and could, in complete peace and suitably honored, pursue their trade without further trouble.
Wyndham Lewis

As a result of the feminist revolution, 'feminine' becomes an abusive epithet.
Wyndham Lewis

The art of advertisement, after the American manner, has introduced into all our life such a lavish use of superlatives, that no standard of value whatever is intact.
Wyndham Lewis

Men were only made into 'men' with great difficulty even in primitive society: the male is not naturally 'a man' any more than the woman. He has to be propped up into that position with some ingenuity, and is always likely to collapse.
Wyndham Lewis

A hundred things are done today in the divine name of Youth, that if they showed their true colors would be seen by rights to belong rather to old age.
Wyndham Lewis

In the democratic western countries so-called capitalism leads a saturnalia of 'freedom', like a bastard brother of reform.
Wyndham Lewis

Almost anything that can be praised or advocated has been put to some disgusting use. There is no principle, however immaculate, that has not had its compromising manipulator.
Wyndham Lewis

Jacques Maritain Quotes
French - Philosopher November 18, 1882 - April 28, 1973

Gratitude is the most exquisite form of courtesy.
Jacques Maritain

A single idea, if it is right, saves us the labor of an infinity of experiences.
Jacques Maritain

We don't love qualities; we love a person; sometimes by reason of their defects as well as their qualities.
Jacques Maritain

I don't see America as a mainland, but as a sea, a big ocean. Sometimes a storm arises, a formidable current develops, and it seems it will engulf everything. Wait a moment, another current will appear and bring the first one to naught.
Jacques Maritain

A man of courage flees forward, in the midst of new things.
Jacques Maritain

Christianity taught men that love is worth more than intelligence.
Jacques Maritain

The poet knows himself only on the condition that things resound in him, and that in him, at a single awakening, they and he come forth together out of sleep.
Jacques Maritain

The great and admirable strength of America consists in this, that America is truly the American people.
Jacques Maritain

Poetry proceeds from the totality of man, sense, imagination, intellect, love, desire, instinct, blood and spirit together.
Jacques Maritain

Americans seem sometimes to believe that if you are a thinker you must be a frowning bore, because thinking is so damn serious.
Jacques Maritain

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions