SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 11 - 20 - 17 page 1

User
6 years ago

Norman Thomas Quotes
American - Activist November 20, 1884 - December 19, 1968

The secret of a good life is to have the right loyalties and hold them in the right scale of values.
Norman Thomas

I walk where I choose to walk.
Norman Thomas

If you want a symbolic gesture, don't burn the flag; wash it.
Norman Thomas

Kennedy said that if we had nuclear war we'd kill 300 million people in the first hour. McNamara, who is a good businessman and likes to save, says it would be only 200 million.
Norman Thomas

To us Americans much has been given; of us much is required. With all our faults and mistakes, it is our strength in support of the freedom our forefathers loved which has saved mankind from subjection to totalitarian power.
Norman Thomas

I always get more applause than votes.
Norman Thomas

Alistair Cooke Quotes
American - Journalist November 20, 1908 - March 30, 2004

A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn't feel like it.
Alistair Cooke

Curiosity is free-wheeling intelligence.
Alistair Cooke

The best compliment to a child or a friend is the feeling you give him that he has been set free to make his own inquiries, to come to conclusions that are right for him, whether or not they coincide with your own.
Alistair Cooke

Curiosity endows the people who have it with a generosity in argument and a serenity in their own mode of life which springs from their cheerful willingness to let life take the form it will.
Alistair Cooke

Cocktail music is accepted as audible wallpaper.
Alistair Cooke

Man has an incurable habit of not fulfilling the prophecies of his fellow men.
Alistair Cooke

People, when they first come to America, whether as travelers or settlers, become aware of a new and agreeable feeling: that the whole country is their oyster.
Alistair Cooke

People in America, when listening to radio, like to lean forward. People in Britain like to lean back.
Alistair Cooke

Hollywood grew to be the most flourishing factory of popular mythology since the Greeks.
Alistair Cooke

As always, the British especially shudder at the latest American vulgarity, and then they embrace it with enthusiasm two years later.
Alistair Cooke

These doomsday warriors look no more like soldiers than the soldiers of the Second World War looked like conquistadors. The more expert they become the more they look like lab assistants in small colleges.
Alistair Cooke

It's an acting job - acting natural.
Alistair Cooke

These humiliations are the essence of the game.
Alistair Cooke

Canned music is like audible wallpaper.
Alistair Cooke

Robert Byrd Quotes
American - Politician Born: November 20, 1917

To the American people I say, awaken to what is happening. It is the duty of each citizen to be vigilant, to protect liberty, to speak out, left and right and disagree lest be trampled underfoot by misguided zealotry and extreme partisanship.
Robert Byrd

Mission accomplished? The mission in Iraq, as laid out by President Bush and Vice President Cheney, has failed.
Robert Byrd

One's family is the most important thing in life. I look at it this way: One of these days I'll be over in a hospital somewhere with four walls around me. And the only people who'll be with me will be my family.
Robert Byrd

That's what the Senate is about. It's the last bastion of minority rights, where a minority can be heard, where a minority can stand on its feet, one individual if necessary, and speak until he falls into the dust.
Robert Byrd

We, unlike Nazi Germany or Mussolini's Italy, have never stopped being a nation of laws, not of men. But witness how men with motives and a majority can manipulate law to cruel and unjust ends.
Robert Byrd

I have never seen such extreme partisanship, such bitter partisanship, and such forgetfulness of the fate of our fathers and of the Constitution.
Robert Byrd

It is money, money, money! Not ideas, not principles, but money that reigns supreme in American politics.
Robert Byrd

Hitler never abandoned the cloak of legality; he recognized the enormous psychological value of having the law on his side. Instead, he turned the law inside out and made illegality legal.
Robert Byrd

I have been in Congress for more than a half century. I have lived through times of fear and times of hope. Of despair and of achievement. I have seen our government at its best, but today I fear that we see our government at its worst.
Robert Byrd

Congress is not an ATM.
Robert Byrd

Our ideals of freedom, set forth and realized in our Constitution, are our greatest export to the world.
Robert Byrd

Is it any wonder, why the approval ratings of the Congress go up every time we go into recess?
Robert Byrd

It was the separation of powers upon which the framers placed their hopes for the preservation of the people's liberties. Despite this heritage, the congress has been in too many cases more than willing to walk away from its constitutional powers.
Robert Byrd

The ongoing strife in Iraq, and the billions of dollars that the President is seeking to continue that war, give me little comfort that this Administration has learned from its mistakes in Iraq.
Robert Byrd

It is the Constitution of the United States that has been undermined, undercut, and is under attack. It is the American people's liberties that is in jeopardy. That is why I wrote 'Losing America.'
Robert Byrd

This war is not necessary. We are truly sleepwalking through history.
Robert Byrd

And the president is all wrong when he maintains that a nominee should have an up-or-down vote. The Constitution doesn't say that. The Constitution doesn't say that that nominee shall have any vote at all. There doesn't have to even be a vote.
Robert Byrd

To contemplate war is to think about the most horrible of human experiences.
Robert Byrd

The money the president wants to borrow for Iraq will come directly out of the American taxpayer wallets in the form of Medicare and Social Security receipts. That's your money.
Robert Byrd

Corita Kent Quotes
American - Artist November 20, 1918 - September 18, 1986

Flowers grow out of dark moments.
Corita Kent

Love the moment and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries.
Corita Kent

Words have life and must be cared for. If they are stolen for ugly uses or careless slang or false promotion work, they need to be brought back to their original meaning - back to their roots.
Corita Kent

Life is a succession of moments, to live each one is to succeed.
Corita Kent

Take an exhibit, in the days when we saw the Pop art - Andy Warhol and all that - tomato soup cans, etc., and coming home, you saw everything like A. Warhol.
Corita Kent

That's why people listen to music or look at paintings. To get in touch with that wholeness.
Corita Kent

Women's liberation is the liberation of the feminine in the man and the masculine in the woman.
Corita Kent

Damn everything but the circus.
Corita Kent

A painting is a symbol for the universe. Inside it, each piece relates to the other. Each piece is only answerable to the rest of that little world. So, probably in the total universe, there is that kind of total harmony, but we get only little tastes of it.
Corita Kent

When someone drew a picture of Pope John wearing an Avis 'We try harder' button, those words no longer meant which car rental to patronize, and yet some of the overtones from its original meaning are there and make a contribution to the new situation.
Corita Kent

In the eighteenth century, it was ladies and gentlemen and swings in a garden; today, it may be Campbell's soup cans or highway signs. There is no real difference. The artist still takes his everyday world and tries to make something out of it.
Corita Kent

Someone remarked that the newspapers or the news magazines are the same as the psalms except that the names changed in the stories. Maybe you can't understand the psalms without understanding the newspaper and the other way around.
Corita Kent

When art has changed, it's because the world was changing.
Corita Kent

I am not brave enough to not pay my income tax and risk going to jail. But I can say rather freely what I want to say with my art.
Corita Kent

Groceries became a revelation: the people coming out with bundles of food. It's all like a great ceremony, and the whole drudgery of shopping has become my inspiration.
Corita Kent

You can enjoy the quality of the ad and not let them pressure you to buy what you don't really need. I have had fun taking back superlatives and just ordinary good words and phrases from ads and trying to restore some of their life to them.
Corita Kent

Nadine Gordimer Quotes
South African - Novelist Born: November 20, 1923

A desert is a place without expectation.
Nadine Gordimer

People give one another things that can't be gift wrapped.
Nadine Gordimer

Time is change; we measure its passing by how much things alter.
Nadine Gordimer

Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever.
Nadine Gordimer

The creative act is not pure. History evidences it. Sociology extracts it. The writer loses Eden, writes to be read and comes to realize that he is answerable.
Nadine Gordimer

The gap between the committed and the indifferent is a Sahara whose faint trails, followed by the mind's eye only, fade out in sand.
Nadine Gordimer

There is no moral authority like that of sacrifice.
Nadine Gordimer

Truth isn't always beauty, but the hunger for it is.
Nadine Gordimer

From Ernest Hemingway's stories, I learned to listen within my stories for what went unsaid by my characters.
Nadine Gordimer

Power is something of which I am convinced there is no innocence this side of the womb.
Nadine Gordimer

Responsibility is what awaits outside the Eden of Creativity.
Nadine Gordimer

The facts are always less than what really happened.
Nadine Gordimer

Perhaps the best definition of progress would be the continuing efforts of men and women to narrow the gap between the convenience of the powers that be and the unwritten charter.
Nadine Gordimer

I cannot live with someone who can't live without me.
Nadine Gordimer

A child understands fear, and the hurt and hate it brings.
Nadine Gordimer

Writing is making sense of life. You work your whole life and perhaps you've made sense of one small area.
Nadine Gordimer

Richard Dawson Quotes
English - Actor November 20, 1932 - June 6, 2012

I abhor grades - if a child does his best, that's all that should be asked.
Richard Dawson

Be nice to each other. You can make a whole day a different day for everybody.
Richard Dawson

About 30 million people see me every week - I'm a happy man.
Richard Dawson

God bless all the little children in the world.
Richard Dawson

And I asked my mother about it; I said, 'Is there something wrong?' She said, 'God... God makes people. You understand that, don't you?' And I said, 'Yeah!' She said, 'Who makes a rainbow?" I said, 'God.' She said, 'I never presumed to tell anyone who could make a rainbow what color to make children.'
Richard Dawson

It's wonderful to win, but don't get cocky about it!
Richard Dawson

You wouldn't want to move if you sat next to me on the bus. Or maybe you would.
Richard Dawson

The first time I ever saw people of any color was when D-Day left from my hometown in England, to go and free Europe from the war. And there was every color you could imagine, and I'd not seen that in England.
Richard Dawson

There were people I know that got upset that I kissed people; I kissed them for luck and love, that's all. That's what my mother did to me. There were people upset that I would embrace or hug someone of another color.
Richard Dawson

They kept us on the air probably a year more than they should have.
Richard Dawson

The thing that I loved about 'Feud,' we froze a moment in time for these families that had never occurred before. That's magic.
Richard Dawson

I never dreamed I would have a job in which so many people could touch me and I could touch them.
Richard Dawson

It's important to me that on 'Family Feud' I could kiss all the people. It sounds crazy but when I first came here Petula Clark was on a show with Nat King Cole and he kissed her on the cheek and eighty-one stations in the South canceled him. I kissed black women daily and nightly on 'Family Feud' and the world didn't come to an end, did it?
Richard Dawson

'Hogan's Heroes' lasted longer than the war.
Richard Dawson

I've had the most incredible luck in my career.
Richard Dawson

If I never do another thing, I've met the good, sweet people of the world.
Richard Dawson

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions