SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vesfl

New Orleans rose gardens, update (generals, noisettes, fairies...)

Yesterday I tried to post this but then it quickly disappeared. Hope there will be no glitches this time.

On my brief trip to New Orleans this weekend, I was happy that I could visit two rose gardens, one in the Botanical Gardens and the other in Louis Armstrong Park.

The Botanical Gardens are gorgeous, the landscape design brought to perfection and featuring many themed gardens. I only wish that the maintenance of their rose garden is more up to the level of those in other quarters because hardly any had blooms except for a few modern rose varieties they planted for landscaping purposes. (I was told that the best time for their fall blooms in this area is in the first 2 weeks of November.) That said, it's well worth a visit for their dainty Butterfly Garden, the magnificent Water Lily pond, the formal garden with azaleas, camellias, and magnolias, and much more. It was a feast for all senses, quite beautiful.

Earlier this August I already posted about the old rose garden in Louis Armstrong Park, just a few minutes drive from the Botanicals, and have to say that this time I fell in love with three generals (Gallieni, Schablikine, Tartas) :-) I've never seen these roses in person and thought to share their photos.

About their impressive found noisettes (and a special note to Virginia!): to my novice eyes some looked so similar that I couldn't tell them apart though I'm sure they would be distinct to the discerning eyes of many of this forum's members. Virginia, you showed interest in some of these the last time I posted about this garden. I added a few comparison comments for Tutta's and Fewell's noisettes below, but please post here or message me if you are interested in more details or photos.

A detail from the Botanical Garden with camellias and one of many architecturally stunning views.

At the Louis Armstrong Park:

General Gallieni

General Tartas

General Schablikine (not a great photo choice for its bloom form, but the color is right):

And while on this theme, why not an alliance too :-) (Franco-Russe this time)

Comparing Fewell's Noisette to Tutta’s Pink Noisette, Fewell's had more thorns on the main thick stems and the scent was slightly weaker than Tutta's. Both of their buds are pink, opening to white blooms though there is a hint of pink on some bloom edges on Tutta's. Fewell's mature blooms remain white.

Fewell's Noisette

Tutta’s Pink Noisette

And Gilbert Nabonnand (not entirely sure if it was labeled correctly) had a surprise visit from a Fairy. :-) I thought someone placed a small doll there until I came up close, only to see that it's a spent GN bloom (or perhaps it *is* a Fairy!).

Comments (9)