SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbinpa

Fall Update on 1st year No Spray Garden

bbinpa
15 years ago

I will attach a link to a previous posting that gives you my list of roses. Otherwise, I would have to type all those out again.

It is really very simple: The only clean or near clean (5% or less) modern roses are Cornelia, Buff Beauty, an unknown poly or mini, Carefree Delight(? on name), Carefree Beauty, Little White Pet, Alexander McKenzie, Folksinger, Earth Song, Prairie Harvest, Meir y Teran, all rugosas except Therese Bugnet, (mildew), Compassion, Lion's Rose and Floral Fairy Tale aka Sangerhausen Jubilee. These last two are surprises to me. Lion's Rose is currently blooming. FFT has no blooms because of rose midge.

Among the OGRs Duc de Guiche, Rose Setegeria, Tuscany Supurb, Belle sans Flatterie, Ghislange de Felligonda, Father Hugo, Abigail Adams, Russelliana, and Baron Gerod (see disclaimer) are clean or near clean. Sadly none of my Albas made this list.

Baron Gerod was a huge-8 foot rose at the end of June with totally bare canes-100% BS. I lost my cool and whaked him down to about 2 feet with the intent of coming back with the shovel. He is now about 3 feet tall with new foliage that is completely clean. Hmmm? Makes me wonder if maybe some of these roses are too tall to sustain healthy growth.

Rose midge is rampant, more so on some than others. I have noticed that some roses bloom in spite of midge like Folksinger, Lion's Rose, Earth Song, Carefree Beauty, Marie Pavie..... These and some other roses seem to produce a new set of growth directly next to the midged growth as if to ignore this pest and spite it. Folksinger in particular was examplery of this growth. Before, I would have said that some roses are less prone to midge damage than others, but I now think some roses deal with the invasion differently. FWIW, pest preferences, in my experience, for one plant over another (except for JBs) seem to be garden specific and not necessarily applicable to all gardens.

I've done nothing to the roses except spray AACT about once every three weeks, and I fertilized with Plant tone in July. I sprayed a couple of times with Easy Feed. No pesticides, no fungicides.

I have a lot of shovel prunning to do. I won't get rid of all the unworthys; that would be too expensive. But, some will definitely not be there next spring. Others I will give second chance, especially if they were quick to respond to their attack with new growth.

Any new ideas on midge-I've tried covering the ground with paper and extra thick mulch. I've been picking off suspicious growth. Of course previously I sprayed/soil soaked with pesticides. I'm running out of ideas.

TIA

Barbara

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting