SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sim_scott

What do you do for Xmas tree?

simstress
6 years ago
I'm frustrated looking for a new artificial Xmas tree. Ceilings in new house are 10'. Buying guides tell me to get an 8.5' tree to allow space for a tree topper. I'm seeing many 7.5' and 9' trees online. Very few 8' trees. I'm wondering whether it's ok to go with a 7.5' tree since there is abundant selection. If you have 10' ceilings, what height is your tree? If it matters, there's an 8' tall patio door near the spot where Xmas tree will go. (If I can't figure this out in time to order a tree next week, I will punt and buy a real tree for this year.) Thx!

Comments (30)

• User
    6 years ago

We get a real one and a size that I personally can handle as I usually have to put it up and I definitely have to take it down and haul out to the curb!

simstress thanked User
  • Geneviève
    6 years ago

Get one as tall is possible as long that you leave it enough space left for the tree topper even 10" from the ceiling ,it will look wonderful and majestic , if you have little children they will love looking up at this tall beauty setting in the room surrounded by Christmas gifts , if you can get an electric train set up at the base you will have a very special Christmas in your new home .

simstress thanked Geneviève
  • Related Discussions

How do you grow cuttings off a x-mas cactus?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi. I think these are pretty easy to root. I don't know much about them, but I found a thread for you that might be helpful. I've attached the link below. It has a bunch of different opinions on how to root christmas cactus. Good luck, Gabi Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting CC's
    ...See More

How much do you spend on your kids' xmas gifts?

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, once again, I did it! I have a tendency to shop until I drop ... all the while forgetting what I've already gotten for the kids! When the time comes to pull it all out and wrap it up, I think "oh crap, look at all this stuff I bought them!" ... :-) But you know what? I take great joy in seeing their faces. In watching them enjoy their new things ... especially when they open something they *really, really* wanted! Priceless! This year my kids got many gift certificates, and yesterday we took the kids shopping with their gift certificates. My husband told me after we got home that my stepdaughter spent one of her certificates on a birthday gift for me (my birthday's in a few days). How special is that? I'm humbled and honored!
    ...See More

What do you do with old Xmas cards?

Q

Comments (24)
    Probably because of the stage in life we're at, probably 90% of the cards we receive are photo cards with people's kids on them. So they can't really be used as gift tags, though that is a cute idea and now I'll see if any of ours can be re-used that way. I have a hard time throwing away photo cards especially of friends and family -- just seems cold -- so I usually save them in a drawer for a year or two, THEN toss them. The funny thing is when we get photo cards from DH's coworkers and my kids are like, "who the heck is that?" I agree that I am not too interested in the pictures of random coworkers' families but it seems to be a thing in DH's office -- SO many of them exchange cards and I only know who a few of them are.
    ...See More

Do you control your trees growth or do they control you?

Q

Comments (16)
    Pip, you lost me..... I said many of my fruit ripen and yes, I do get sweet fruit.Just not as good as the southern states in the middle of winter and I don't think any of us can even come as close as to that climate at best without the perfect set up which a majority of us do not have. Many ripen on my porch at cool temps and many ripen as soon as I put them out in spring. Many ripen in my work place and in my sunny greenhouse..It varies... What I think is extremely counter production is, trying to ripen them in a room only limited with winter sun in doors...They fall off, stay small. get bugs, or dry out. So if wants wants fruit just as good as the southern states, they must invest in a place that provides lots of sun and warmth, but cool nights too. ) Hey Hobby, great to see a happy person back one that knows how to treat others...I hear you..Many are afraid to cut trees back, let alone roots, which everyone eventually should do growing in containers..It keeps them very healthy..
    ...See More
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    I am a big fan of Balsam Hill. They are a little pricey but look amazing. You can make your selection based off of a number of categories such as height, light color, realism, etc.. I have 10' ceilings and a 9' tree. My tree is about 5'6" in diameter and it is beautiful year after year. It's easy to store and fast to assemble. I get complimented every year and most people don't believe it's artificial until they go in for an inspection. :)
    Best Wishes!
    Danielle Wills
    simstress thanked User
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Get a nine footer. There are thousands of toppers!!!. Balsam Hill is great. Don't get led lights whatever you do. Depressingly!!!! cold and dim.

simstress thanked JAN MOYER
  • Peter Roehrich
    6 years ago
    A 9 foot artificial tree will look great, and a pre lit tree will save you a ton of hassle! If clearance is close, go with a tree topper that sits down a little bit and push the very top branches behind it; we do this and the tree topper completely obscures the little tuft if the top branch. Also, bear in mind that the artificial tree branches are wired and can be bent as needed.
    simstress thanked Peter Roehrich
  • Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

Well your heading asks " what do I do" and not what should YOU do, so with that in mind..... I have a collection of bare branches in a large pot I collected from a humongous rose bush on my fathers grave that we radically trimmed back to rejuvenate. These are nicelyy shaped, arched and multiple-branched in a beautiful way. Love the wintery bare- branched look with lights and ornaments. May be an idea adaptable to larger/ taller height but it would be a creative project for sure.... needs the right nicely shaped branches, not any old ones youd find lying around, and some kind of base that would hold them securely .... esp if you have any bored cats around the house who like to climb!

simstress thanked Debbie Downer
  • PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

This is something that's truly up to you and how much tree you want to deal with. You could have a 5ft tree and it would look wonderful, its all personal preference. Also if you have enough ornaments to fill it helps too. :)

simstress thanked Verona Home Design
  • roxanna7
    6 years ago

Oh, have I got a tree for you!!!! I am very picky about artificial Xmas trees -- most are far too "full" IMO, leaving ornaments placed only on the outside plane of the tree (can't really put them in towards the trunk, as I prefer).

Two years ago, I found the perfect (for me!) 7-ft tree. At that time, the only place selling it was GrandinRoad -- it may be available elsewhere now, tho I don't know. It is called the Noblis Fir Tree, comes in 7' or 8' foot between $200 - $250. (Note spelling of Noblis, for searching purposes)

This tree looks just like a real tree, and can be loaded with ornaments all the way in towards the trunk. Most life-like I have ever found. One small caveat is it does not come pre-lit, or didn't when I got mine. Not such a big deal.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck!

(P.S. -- here is where I admit that I SO loved how it looked when I finished decorating it two years ago, that I have never taken it down. Ta-dah! It is all ready for Xmas right now, lol... Yes, I am completely crazy. But I am also 71 years old, and don't climb ladders any more if avoidable.)

• simstress
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I appreciate all the responses! Your tips and shopping suggestions are helpful. Next time, I'll title it "what does ONE do for xmas tree". :)

Genevieve - Your tree and space are lovely! Thx for the visual.

Roxanna - That's brave of you to admit publicly your tree has been up year-round. I'm sure it gorgeous!

I will try a 9 footer. My husband very much prefers LED lights... I'll see if there are any "warm" LED trees. If our old topper is not a good fit, I'll get something new. Thx for the tips to scrunch the top as needed. Last tree was 12' tall, so I should have more than enough ornamentation for a 9 footer.

If anyone else feels like sharing pics of their pretty tree, I would not mind seeing them. Thx again!

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

Tall isn't my issue..I just make sure it fits as discussed above. It is more the width that I can't absorb. I finally replaced one for more of a pencil type. Can't say it is a WOW factor, but it fits and we can still live in the house. LOL.

simstress thanked arcy_gw
  • simstress
    Original Author
    6 years ago

arcy_gw: I don't like wide trees either. I am always annoyed at my in-laws when I have to squeeze past the tree because they just had to have a big tree that only leaves a narrow 18" or so of passage.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I've a live Christmas tree girl, all the way! Fortunately, the place that has the best trees (they have them cut in NC and bring them in 2 days later), immediately cuts the bottoms on their trees and puts them in water, so they are fresh, fresh, fresh. They also deliver! And they move the skirted table for me as well (I do have it cleared off for them). Then I hire a lovely woman who comes and puts the lights on the tree. I like a LOT of lights - DH always got tired of doing them and say there were enough, but I wanted MORE! The next day, DGSs come over and put all the ornaments on for me. They come back around New Years and remove them and I pack them up, and DSIL takes the tree out to the curb and returns the round table to the corner. I put the skirt, lamp and "stuff" back on it.

Yes, it's a big bother, but even artificial trees are a big bother. There is just nothing like a beautiful, fresh Christmas tree.

simstress thanked Anglophilia
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

Live tree lover here, too. I'm lucky to live near many fabulous U-cut tree farms where I cut my own Noble fir every year. Well, I used to cut my own, but now my grandson and son go with to get theirs, too, so he usually cuts mine, too. We take snacks and hot chocolate for when we are finished walking every acre to get the PERFECT tree. It's nice to have them so fresh because they never have time to dry out.

I just picked up a new stand because my wonderful stand from years past just wouldn't hold the tree upright. So I tossed it, did my research and ordered a new one to be delivered to my hardware store - so if it's as good as they say, I'm all set.

simstress thanked Olychick
  • User
    6 years ago

I went tall and don't bother with a topper!

simstress thanked User
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

Speaking of fresh trees, both Lowe's and Home Depot (and probably other places) will let you have all the free, fresh cuttings you want from their tree lots. I bring home plenty to use for arrangements around the house. More nice smell! :-)

simstress thanked chloebud
  • nini804
    6 years ago

We have 10' ceilings and when I put the tree in our family room I got a 9 footer. Then I decided I wanted BIGGER, lol, so now we put a 13-14 footer in our foyer which is open to the staircase. I can get a huge fat one, and it can be seen from the dining room, living room, AND looks so pretty from outside through our glass front doors.

simstress thanked nini804
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

simstress, after no longer getting real trees as the kids are grown we invested in to artificial trees to date. The lighting has been a nightmare. Given the price of the trees you'd think that the lights would operate properly. 8 foot trees a small fortune then after a few years part is lighted and part is not. Was able to return the last one this past year as it was just under one year old and refunded.

I now have a vignette of 7 lighted birch twig trees in different heights of 7 feet and smaller. I love them.... a bit different to say the least!

This is very similar to what I do, but mine are not in the pots like shown. I have them in a bit wider/taller pieces in varying heights with big alpaca blankets in off white filling the top portion all fluffed up spilling slightly.

Maybe it was out bad luck with the artificial trees, but after paying 800.00 you think it should work consistently!

simstress thanked Porter Edun
  • simstress
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do love a live tree... I have this romantic idea of bundling up the kids and going to a tree farm to pick out our own tree one year. But we live in Texas where we often spend Thanksgiving in shorts, and DH doesn't do great with live trees.

@Porter - I love the unconventional "forest" arrangement like the pic you shared, but I've never had the space. I think I finally have the space in this house, and the kids would probably find it fun, but DH feels strongly about the single tree setup. Maybe I'll do a small forest in the front yard (so realistic in Texas! ha!).

• Mer
    6 years ago
    Our little Balsam Hill. We have loved it. It's been the perfect "girl" tree since my husband passed away.
  • PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

In my opinion I wouldn't purchase a pre-lite tree. We have changed our lights a few times over the years and with pre-lite trees you don't have that option. Also if my lights die its no big deal since I have others to replace them, which is a much cheaper option then replacing the whole tree. Plus hanging the lights is a fun part of Christmas tree decorating! :)

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

what chloebud said, have a platform built to boost the tree. it leaves more room for presents, too.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

suggestion for standing up a tall tree, so it doesnt leave a mark on the ceiling: i have a pillow case that i keep with the tree setting up stuff, and i pop it over the top of the tree when we carry it in (and out of) the house, so if its still kinda tall it won't leave a sap trail on the ceiling.

• party_music50
    6 years ago

A friend just shared this on FB.... what do you all think of these 'colored' xmas trees?!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

simstress, I hear you on the warm Christmas. Growing up on So. Ca. it was always one of our warmest months. We generally went to the beach and I always had that wish of a, "romantic cold day, tree farm, snow lightly falling"............ Be careful what you wish for you might get it and after a while not as romantic from day to day. Nice on the holiday though :)

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

I'm debating whether to buy an artificial tree or stay with real ones. Some of the artificial ones look really nice now, but in a log home?? Plus there's always storage issues, although I see they can compact real well right now... but i have plenty of other things to compact into my storage!

This year I'll probably stick with a real tree, and make the decision next year. One thing I'll never do is get a "pre-lit" tree. 1) I like changing out tree appearance from year to year - white one year, multicolors another, blue and white a third. 2) putting the lights on is part of the FUN of tree decoration! 3) I already own strands of lights.

One word of "wisdom" is to get a tree that comes close to the height of one's ceiling. Since I have a cathedral ceiling, that would mean my getting a tree close to 12 feet tall. How do you decorate and place ornaments 12 feet off the ground? (With my bad knee, I don't do ladders...) Eight feet will be as high as I will go. Too bad for received wisdom...

(I think I will do a six - 6.5 foot tree of the real variety this year to see how it looks in my new home... then next year consider an artificial one based on my thoughts... quality artificial trees of 7-8 feet or more are out of my price range....)

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

I LOVE Christmas trees. Always have. When I was a kid, I soooo admired a certain ranch house in our area that had identical trees in every front window (with all white lights, which was very new at that point), and that was a goal of mine: A tree in every room.

After I married and had my own home, we had a large /perfect artificial tree, which lasted a good 12 years and then was too ratty to continue to use ... plus it was really, really large! By large, I mean FAT -- it took up a lot of space -- as someone else said, it's not the height, it's the width. Then we became real-tree people for a while, but we had one malicious tree that seemed to enjoy hurting us with its needles. 2-3 years ago we bought a modest-sized artificial tree, and I'm enjoying it, though it isn't as special as that first artificial tree we had ... but we'll continue to use it as long as we're in this house ... it fits, and we already own it.

However, I've been mulling over a crazy idea for our new house: NO BIG TREE. I know, I know, it's crazy. All my life we've had a big tree. Sometimes we've had other secondary trees: All my adult life we've had a small dresser-top tree in each bedroom ... and we have a collection of unusual lights that rotate around from one person's tree to another ... sometimes a second tree in the formal living room.

I'm thinking that when we move, we may discard the big tree altogether ... and go with a collection of trees throughout the house. Two matching 4' skinny trees in the corners of the dining room? A 2-3' tree on a tabletop in the great room? But without the trees, we'll have to "up" the greenery in other areas: porch, banisters, etc.

I'm thinking that if we go with small trees, I'll wrap them in old sheets and put them away ... so they'll be super-quick to put up /super-quick to take down. I'm thinking that the trees could be themed: My fancy red and gold decorations for the dining room, the Hallmark and kid-made ornaments in the great room.

And if the trees are easier to manage, perhaps I'll use more decorations in other places in the house: My Mom's old gingerbread house on the half-bath vanity? My nativity scene, which shamefully doesn't make it out of the box every year? My Christmas village on the mantle? My grandmother's china angels ... well, someplace up high because those dime-store angels make me remember her. The reality is that I've been spending so much effort on THE BIG TREE that I often don't get these secondary decorations out ... but I love them too.

Will I do this? Don't know yet.

Roxanna - That's brave of you to admit publicly your tree has been up year-round. I'm sure it gorgeous!

I have a friend -- a crazy friend, but crazy in a good way -- who LOVES Christmas and decorates more than anyone else I know. Her home looks like a Christmas shop. She has one tree, though, that stays up YEAR-ROUND. She decorates it for various holidays. Yes, on Valentine's Day, her tree is covered in lacy hearts and pink lights. At Easter, eggs and a bunny topper. On the Fourth of July, red white and blue streamers and stars. It's very "her" -- I wouldn't do it myself.

I like a LOT of lights - DH always got tired of doing them and say there were enough, but I wanted MORE!

That's always a fuss in my house too!

Ah, trees are at their best after dark.

Plus there's always storage issues, although I see they can compact real well right now... but i have plenty of other things to compact into my storage!

Thing is, if you're building your own custom house, you can incorporate the storage that suits you!

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i like big trees because they are taller than me, just like when i was a child, and give me that magic feeling of 'anything is possible tomorrow'. if i was taller than the tree, well, whats the point?

we are 'real tree' people and dont bring it inside til the weekend before christmas. but i have a small artificial tree that my daughter used in college. last year i noticed it feeling unloved in its box in our basement, and set it up on a table in our front window. (our living room is in the rear of our house). it really made me happy all of december, knowing the main act would be arriving in 3 more weeks.

• User
    6 years ago

For prelit trees, if the lights die can't you pull them off and just string new ones? There may be some cutting and pulling involved but I can't see why it couldn't be done. Am I wrong? I have a very nice looking prelit GE Christmas tree. After almost ten years the lights are still great. I was planning to remove them if I ever had issues. In the future I'll probably need to downsize the tree for something not so tall and W-I-D-E and I'll purchase from Balsam Hill.

• Bluebell66
    6 years ago

Roxanna, I hope you see this. I am this close to ordering the Noblis Fir. My only reservation is it looks kind of wide at the bottom and the description says the diameter is 6'. Is that the case? Does it feel wide? I tend to like a skinny tree, but I really do love the photos of this one. I found some nice ones on Instagram. Thanks.