SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Why Do Some Violets Have Hard/Tight Crowns?

PoohBearLvr
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Why are some of the few violets I have, growing very HARD and tight crowns? The bloom stems, the few they produce, cant get through the mass of tightly growing leaves, and yet they are right next to others, that are growing perfectly 'normal'. Is it the variety, the cross? The ones that are giving me the most trouble are 'Ness Antique Red' and 'Playful Spectrum'. 'Red Ness' has SUPER hard leaves, and VERY crowded crown growth, Playful Spectrum is doing the same thing. Why?

(These are all young plants, only just out of their Solo cups for a month or so, but they were doing this in the cups as well ). Now that they have room to grow, it is getting worse. The few flower stems I found, by accident, were trapped by the leaves/crown:(

But my 'Ness Fantasy Gold', is growing/blooming just fine, it just had a long bloom flush, it is out of bloom. A 'yellow' one I have is blooming SO heavily, I have to cut off some of the flower stems, it just has SO many, it was covering the crown from light!!

It is called 'Golden Autumn'. It is a single star, mostly soft pink, white and some tiny bit of yellow in the background. Not as yellow as I hoped. But ti is beautiful. I also have like 8 or so others, all growing fine, blooming all over the place, and they are all next to these 2 that have such tight/hard crowns? Is it just these varieties?? Or am I doing something wrong to them?

I grow these under Aerogrow lights, next to each other, same water, same fert. same light....yet they have HARD/TIGHT/CROWDED crowns on them. And perfect growth on others, right next to each other. Whats up?

I rather have more blooms and less growth on these tight growing ones. Would putting these in a dark room for a few days, loosen up the crowns? Or cause them to get stressed out? Any hints as to whats up?

Comments (23)