SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigbeaks

tight crowns or lights too close?

bigbeaks
13 years ago

I have just recently gotten a new plant stand (T-12 lights), and I believe my lights are too close. They are about 8 inches from the top of the plants to the bottom of the bulbs. The plant stand is the full size light cart with four shelves. The fixtures have two bulbs, not four. Before the plants were under different lights (T-5 lights), but about the same distance. My plants are all getting really tight small leaves growing in the crowns. Leaves on some are curling under, and the blooms are much smaller than normal. This never happened before moving them to my new plant stand and I've inspected them for bugs and mites as best I can. My question is, can I correct this by simply reducing the amount of time my lights are on? They were on 13 hours before, and I just decreased them to 9 hours. Or do I need to figure out how to get them further away from the lights? Also, what do I do with the plants that have the small leaves in the crowns... Do I wait them out and let them grow or do I remove them?

Comments (11)