SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazyjz1

Tight crowns. How tight is too tight?

Jeff Zenner
6 years ago

In my never ending effort to learn more about plants in general but for now, primarily African Violets, I discovered a fairly common term called "tight crown". I searched here and elsewhere and discovered that extreme cases are easy to see/discover. (Misshapen leaves, odd colors and textures etc.) I think I can probably handle it once it gets to that point. I just don't want any of my plants to get to that point.

They showed examples where the plant had normal leaves and then a bunch of stunted ones growing above the normal ones. I think I could figure that out too. Seems like there should be a set of criteria to check long before the months it would take to grow that many stunted leaves.

Elsewhere on the net, I have seen pictures of an AV that in the local experts opinion, suffers from tight crown. (Pictures of the center of a plant growing a bunch of leaves. Yep, its crowded in there, especially the plants that grow the huge, thick leaves, but I think its supposed to be.) I DONT see it! To me, it looked just like the plants they said were great.

I would like to see a picture or two of a AV w a tight crown. One that has characteristics that I could recognize. Maybe a picture of a plant w a tight crown next to a similar plant w a normal crown.

All of my plants are growing. Not a single one that does not have a bunch of stuff happening at the crown. Nothing noticeably bad or odd but what if?

Im not worried and don't suspect I have any "tight crowns" but I would like to feel better about my ability to diagnose issues before they become problems.

I would like to hear from those of you that have encountered this, how you recognized it and what you did about it.

Comments (6)