SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_lowe68

organization in the bathroom

Jerry
6 years ago
okay so I'm being vulnerable right now showing you my mess of the bathroom I'm single live alone and I get lazy about putting stuff away as you can see on my countertop I just don't have space or storage for it so ideas would be great guys thank you. I love my shower and have a second full bath to unwind

Comments (39)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Consider getting rid of the framed mirror and adding a large medicine cabinet flanked with wall cabinets for storage. Do you have a linen closet close by? Perhaps a shelf it it could be used. Or over the door storage pouches on the inside of the linen closet.

Purging the things that aren't used is probably the first step though. Sorry.

• enduring
    6 years ago

Yes, get rid of some of your stuff. You don't need all of that, lol.

Do you own the place? If not, how about 1 or 2 small chest of drawers that could fit on the counter. Something that would go with your decor, with drawers deep enough that you could stand your supplies up into. Or a cabinet that is shallow and opens with shelving spacious enough to hold your taller containers.

You could put a couple of Rev-a-Shelves in the cabinet to give you pull out space for organizing your stuff. get measurements of the cabinets and clearance you need for the doors and any obstructions. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at the options they carry. I have 3 different ones that I have installed in my base cabinets in my kitchen. All are a little different. One has a tote that can be removed, for cleaning supplies for example. On is just a bottom pull out for tall items. Another has a lower and upper pullout. I love them. These could help you organize your stuff, without cramming things in those lower cabinets.

• Related Discussions

Updated Master Bathroom

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you everyone for your comments. cat_mom - What I was trying to communicate is that a camera shot via a wide-angle lens imparts size that could be misjudged. We've had smaller too. bethohio3 - Those additional 4" in the shower are amazing in the space provided. It was the glass company who suggested the side panel with a robe hook. AnnieDeighnaugh - There was too much air space wasted before so adding a drawer below a shelf basically lets us take advantage. bosegirl - thank you! awm03 - My DH only removed the old vanity a day before the new one arrived so the wait wasn't really much of a problem - just my impatience wondering what my vision would look like. outsideplaying - ? Believe you mis posted.
    ...See More

Bathroom vanity solution - is this a crazy idea?

Q

Comments (11)
    We very rarely have to access the attic and moving the dresser won't be a huge deal the once or twice a year we do. For now, we will put the cabinet that was over the toilet back up. There is nothing special about it, but nothing wrong with it either. I told her to start thinking of paint ideas. She painted her desk a couple of years ago with a really cool harlequin design. Maybe she will paint the cabinet too. Now that we have lightened the paint color she needs a little color in there.
    ...See More

Small bathroom renovation

Q

Comments (3)
    Why don't you look through pinterest for a few hours and save the images that you like. I am sure that it's not impossible to imagine a modern midcentury, also contemporary, also boho and also minimalist style, also organic, all in one room, but if you keep looking on pinterest, maybe you will find it. Your general ideas are so broad, it's hard to help at this stage. You might also provide a budget, in order to help those that can help you here. Also, it will definitely help to post a layout of the space, along with pictures, and let folks know what you are willing/interested to change about your layout. Finally, I'm letting you know this is the remodeling forum, which will certainly help with many technical questions. But for design/finishes help, you're probably better off in the Bathrooms forum.
    ...See More

Bathroom Layout

Q

Comments (5)
    If it is possible to put obscured glass in the window, or if it faces to a private area I would make that entire window wall a large shower/tub room. Turn the tub 90 degrees against the current shower/outer wall and the rest of the room would be the walk in shower. I would then put the toilet in the current walk in shower and move the vanity closer to the door, you may even have room for a double vanity then.
    ...See More
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Please do not take my comments harshly, but as a gentle reality check. You have plenty of room in your bathroom. No amount of boxes or drawers will magically tidy things for you. Only you know if you have too much stuff and should do a nice culling (you have two hairbrushes visible- toilet paper on the counter and not under sink or in holder, numerous lotions- find some that do double duty if you must)- then put everything away properly once and for all. Label drawers and shelves and baskets if you must, so you know where to put your things away when you are in a hurry. Do it right and you will find it easy to maintain- but you must maintain it.

Your heart is in the right place. You went to the trouble of posting here. Now a bit of elbow grease and you'll be done in an hour. If you feel a bit overwhelmed by the task, just tell yourself you'll put 10 things away/toss and then take a break off for the next small set and so forth, taking breaks here and there, until you are finished.

• User
    6 years ago

More storage isn’t going to help with bad habits.

This isn’t about storage. This is about an inability to place things back in storage. You need help to develop better habits. Call someone who specializes in dealing with hoarders. They will have the tools to turn this around. No, you’re not a hoarder. Yet. Get the help you need to avoid it.

Change your behavior, and the bathroom will be fine.

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

I agree with the others here. You don't need to install organizational tools so much as you need to streamline what you have. My thoughts:

- Yes, begin by purging what you aren't using.

- What would be better moved to other areas? For starters, I see what looks like pills or vitamins on two sides of the sink. We used to store such things in the bathroom -- we did it because we both grew up in houses with medicine cabinets, and that's where our parents always stored asprin, etc. in the bathroom. But I realized that we were going into the bathroom to fetch medicines, then walking to the kitchen to get a drink -- inefficient! Now I have 7 small plastic bins to divide up medicines: My medicines (actually just an allergy pill + a bunch of vitamins), DH's medicines, Diabetic testing supplies, First Aid, Pain, Tummy & Digestive woes, Cold medicines, and Pet medicines ... and they're stored in the kitchen. I don't like to mess with my bottles, so I purchased 4 pill organizers, and ONCE A MONTH I sit down and fill up a month's worth of pills. Anyway, what items would make more sense stored elsewhere?

- Next, what duplicates can you dump? I see three partial rolls of toilet paper. I assume you're using this as tissues? Perhaps if you had one assigned spot for a box of tissues (or a roll of toilet paper in a plastic square meant for a square box of tissues), it'd prevent you from starting a new roll. Similarly, I see a ton of product bottles -- I can't tell what they are, but some of them have to be duplicates. Keep out ONE bottle of each product you use on a daily basis -- and put your others in a plastic bin under the sink. I see two hairbrushes.

- What can you hang? I see a photograph hiding behind a bottle of soap. I have a mirror similar to yours that hangs on a hook inside the under-sink cabinet. Don't go overboard with hanging things.

- Streamline your storage. That over-toilet organizer looks clunky ... a couple shelves (or a train shelf) would look nicer. Also, since this is such visible storage, cut down on the number of things that're stored in this area. Just towels would look fine, but the baskets are "too much" for this area.

- You have a large vanity. What's in it? I'd say it should contain extra toilet paper, maybe cleaning products and unopened products that you're not yet using. Use your two "immediate access drawers" for things you want at your fingertips: Lotions, hairbrush, toothpaste, etc. Put small dividers in those drawers so everything looks nice and neat.

If you feel a bit overwhelmed by the task, just tell yourself you'll put
    10 things away/toss and then take a break off for the next small set
    and so forth, taking breaks here and there, until you are finished.

Another idea: Remove EVERYTHING from the bathroom, and when you need something, return it to the bathroom ... and assign it a space to live. At the end of two weeks, go through the items you didn't use. If you didn't use those things in two weeks, do you really need to keep them? Some things -- like Calamine lotion or Nyquil -- you might say, "Okay, I didn't use it in this two week time frame, but these are emergency items that I will need in the future -- they get to stay." Then store them in a LABELED plastic bin under the sink -- not out in the open. Other things you might decide don't deserve a space in your bathroom; for example, the deodorant you didn't really like because it smells funny ... but you hung onto because you'd paid good money for it. Ditch it.

Call someone who specializes in dealing with hoarders. They will have
    the tools to turn this around. No, you’re not a hoarder. Yet.

Overkill. Yes, professional organizers exist -- my sister in law is one -- but this is something the OP can get a handle on without help. It's just clutter.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

Sure, it's all well and good to say you should do better about putting things away, but I'm going to suggest something else -- have a way to put things "away" without putting them out of sight or out of reach. Not everyone is an "everything in it's place" kind of person and not everyone is the kind of person who likes uncluttered spaces. I'm one of those people - I like clutter (I actually prefer clutter) - but at the same time I needed to find some way to maintain utility of the space. From what you've posted, I'm going to take a gamble and say you're one of those people too, at least partially.

Use OPEN shelves or baskets, so you can easily see where things are, can easily get your hands on what you want, and can easily put them back. It won't immediately solve the problem, but you will more likely be willing to sustain a routine that maintains the things that you want (easy visibility and access). Don't use cabinets or cupboards, don't use baskets under the sink, don't use anything that tucks things away. If you wanted that, you'd know that you wanted it.....I think what you need is a storage solution that fits the way you like to live (even if that way is "lazy").

• Jerry
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Im laughing so hard at myself right now. Great feedback from everyone. And you're right if I had the right things in the right places at the right times this wouldn't exist. Lazy spot on. always rushing. poor storage choices ...perfect. most of my vanity storage space underneath can be moved...towels , and other bens of junk etc. ... so I'm using ideas from everyone. method to the madness. ...THANKS EVERYONE. I needed this help.
  • enduring
    6 years ago

You need to keep us updated on your progress. We're here for ya!

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

Agree with the consensus above. I struggle with housekeeping a lot myself and really recommend UFYH if you have a hard time keeping things clean.

6 years ago

You're a great sport. Do keep us updated. We love to see how things turn out.

• Eleanor Smith-Litt
    6 years ago

As a single working mother this is a problem for me. I finally went to various places and found plastic see through boxes that connected with a snap and had lids. I could see through them but I still labeled them for cold medicines, allergy medicines, skin creams and so forth. I got larger ones to keep hair spray, mousse, and other things and connected that with brushes and a snap together box for hairdryers. Since I am into asthetics and realized I take medications in the evening and morning I bought those weekly medication containers one for day one for night and hid the remaining bottles in these pretty round boxes. Jerry, at least you don't have to deal with makeup. Don't get me started. Eye shadows, eye liners, lipsticks; well now they each have a box that snaps together. As a woman I can tell you we have so much "stuff" face lotions, body lotions, hand lotions. Of course there are things for nails like emery boards, cuticle creams, nail polish, nail hardeners. And of course what we use on our hands we would never use on our feet. Why? I have no idea. How about hair products? Really? At times I just want to let myself go or become a Tibetan monk. How do they do it in Japan? There is nothing out anywhere.

• Jerry
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    you are too funny!!!! I'm laughing so hard. I was just looking at those plastic bins today.great idea. I use travel bags for alot of things. you can see what you're looking for. nice visual as a Tibetan monk. ummmmmmmmmmmmmhommmmmmmm
  • Milly Rey
    6 years ago

1) Purge

2) Your vanity sucks. Drawers are our friends.

3) I never understand people without medicine cabinets.

My vanity is half empty, but I'm still glad of the drawers!!!

Toronto, if I had to look at open containers of stuff all the time, I would throw everything away or set it on fire.

• beaniebakes
    6 years ago

I’m in Eleanor’s camp, and to make matters worse, whenever I go to a farmers market or craft show, I just have to support artisans by buying their 100% organic, pure essential oil, local, free-range creams, face washes, salves, masks, herbal soap bars, etc. I try to keep then organized by storing then in baskets by category, out of view. Some have to be refrigerated to keep them from melting in warm weather. Last week I purged everything that hadn’t been used in a year. Keep us updated. We’re all rooting for you.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

My 36"'vanity, which I share with my husband because we have an old home with teeeny bathrooms, looks like this:

He WILL NOT allow the toothpaste, his combs, or his nightly meds to be put up, so that's what the canister is for. :(

Still, it's as neat as it is because I have drawers and a medicine cabinet:

It's totally disorganized now, but it doesn't matter because there isn't that much stuff.

And I store things like the family humidifier and the braces and Ace bandages and a cleaning mini-kit above the toilet:

Also fingernail polish where small creatures can't find it. And two more hooks for the door after I get it painted.

I put a separate grooming station in the closet. My husband quickly put his stuff on it because again he loves to keep stuff out (there's some moisturizer and sunblock and hair products behind my tea pot and doctor-prescribed light therapy box, which I pitch back there daily so I don't have to think about them--and no, I still haven't decided on a countertop, lol). The tarnished silver needs to move somewhere else.

But I have my two hair drawers:

And my everyday makeup drawer:

And the extra medicine cabinet for anything grooming related for me that might spill:

(No, I haven't even addressed The screws on this super cheapie cabinet. I wasn't sure I wanted it so I didn't want to spend much.)

A fair amount of stuff isn't in its right place. I don't need the calamine lotion daily anymore. So it's in the wrong place now. Mosquito season is over. Some stuff in the bathroom medicine cabinet needs to move to the first aid kit.

I also have a tiny cabinet behind the bathroom door that holds empty travel containers between trips, jewelry my girls own but aren't allowed to have in their room, and extra soap, and there's the cabinet part of the vanity that holds all the other extra toiletries and main first aid extras plus toilet paper.

But even disorganized, it's all neat because there's a lot of room and I keep it reasonably empty!

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Aaaand my husband just couldn't find the naproxen in the medicine cabinet.

Hmmmmmmmmm

• Mrs Pete
    6 years ago

Milley Rey, you and I are miles apart in terms of style, but I love your organization! You are an inspiration.

Also fingernail polish where small creatures can't find it

A note on storing fingernail polish: I keep my nail polish items in a small basket up on a shelf -- mine's pretty small: perhaps 6 bottles of polish, remover and cotton balls, cuticle cream, and a few implements-of-manicure-destruction.

I like having them in a small basket because "the whole process" is easy to transport to the living room, where I can do my nails while watching TV. When my grandmother was still living, we'd sometimes take that bitty basket to her house.

In general, I like storing "all my stuff for this or that activity" in a bin or basket because then it's all "together", and I can take it where I please. I use this philosophy in my pantry too: I have a bin for my cake decorating items ... another for my cheese making implements ... another for cookie cutters and sprinkles. Makes it handy to bring out EVERYTHING I need in one fell swoop.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

The fingernail polish actually belongs mostly to a daughter. Lol. I have to keep it, though! That's why there are probably 20 bottles. I should put it together like that! But I do use other fingernail tools elsewhere.

I am just finishing the master bathroom even though it was demoed 7 years ago. I had 2 other full bathrooms, a laundry room to create from studs, a well and water treatment system to replace, all the windows on the house to replace (and add), an AC retrofit to redo completely, a roof to rebuild, a water heating system to design and install, a closet to build, acres of property to fence, flooring to replace, and part of a roof to rebuild that all took priority.

Seven years ago, when I bought the vanity and faucets, I was fighting my house and hated modernist style. I began to appreciate it first for being low maintenance and gradually to like the aesthetic. So when it came time to pick the tile, I went a lot more transitional than I would have otherwise. And when it's time for a redo in another 20 years, lol, it will go modernist!

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

I bought the vanity 7 years ago because it was the first time I had ever seen a 36" vanity that had an offset sink (meaning actual functional counter space!!!!) and lots of drawers for storage. I wasn't sure if I would be able to find one again. It was also very much in my style then and is still a style I like. Of course, now, they're everywhere!

Also, I have figured out a modernist style that lets me keep all the family hand-me-downs. (Too pretentious to call them heirlooms, but I have stuff like my great great grandmother's jewelry box and a portrait of my great great great grandmother done in the 1870s). That was huge for me.

• Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

Seems like you are doing fine except for the mess on the vanity top. I have a similar vanity. The narrow deep cabinets are black holes, stuff gets shoved to the back and lost forever. I suggest placing your toiletries in a box that fits the shelf. If you put commonly used stuff in one you'd put it on the vanity, use them then put back in the cabinet. Easy. A dollar store wash tub almost fits mine - I force a couple in anyway for pedicures and huge bottles I rarely need to get too and a basket without a job holds towels I rarely need but now I don't need to get down on the floor to dig them out! Shoe box or a cut down cardboard box are other possibilities. Once I find something that works I can cover with contact paper if I like.

If you want more organization then divide further. I did find a $1 cutlery organizer from Ikea made a nice difference for the little cluttery stuff in one drawer though. Add shelves so there's less wasted vertical space.

Do go through your stuff. It seems like it will take forever but give it 10 minutes. Use a large bag, you may find a lot more than you think you will. We went through the 5' wide medicine cabinet that wasn't even full and tossed 3 bags of nearly empty, disliked and expired items. Now go through and see about duplicates. I ended up with 5 nail clippers so tossed out the worn ones. I only had one comb but I hated it so bought one I like and so on.

• Jerry
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    cabinets on the wall or art or combination shelves I'm trying to avoid holes in the wall shelves probably I'm tired lol
  • enduring
    6 years ago

Holy Moly! That looks great!!!

Holes in the wall to hang pics are no big deal, really. They are easily spackled and repainted.

Look at Houzz photos for picture ideas.

I love it. You did a great job.

• Jerry
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    this really has been fun guys I've been working on my condo since Friday so I really appreciate everybody's feedback and pics and honesty and support and all that!
  • enduring
    6 years ago

You get the idea :)

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Much better! Your bathroom is really big. That vanity is really big. It just sucks because it's all doors, few drawers.

• Jerry
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    wow. those are awesome! thanks for posting them. by the way I haven't heard holy moly in so long . it made me laugh. I love it. are you from Indiana or Ohio! just curious
  • beaniebakes
    6 years ago

Great job!!! It looks wonderful.

• Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

Great job! Now remember to check dates every once in a while. I purged my bathroom last year and just a month ago found a number of things that were past use date. Am slowly getting the idea that maybe going through my stuff is going to be an ongoing thing like feeding myself and vacuuming........

6 years ago

Wowzers, Jerry! You rock! That bathroom looks awesome. Great work.

• roarah
    6 years ago

Wonderful job! The bathroom is quiet tranquil now.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Lol, Kathy!

I try to buy small bottles of most things so that maybe with the whole family, we will use it up before it goes bad. For drugs, I try to get each active ingredient separately and combine them myself as needed. Like cold meds--they're almost all combos of the same few expectorants, cough suppressants, pain killers, and decongestants. Buy them separately, and you can take whatever you need.

• beaniebakes
    6 years ago

Jerry... I think enduring is from Iowa. That would explain holy moly, lol.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Get the Command hooks to hang stuff. No holes in the wall.

• Jerry
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I forgot about those. thanks Sherry
  • enduring
    6 years ago

Thanks for the props @beaniebakes! "...'is this heaven?' 'No, its Iowa'"

• Eleanor Smith-Litt
    6 years ago

Jerry, you must be so proud. It looks amazing and really puts me to shame. Right now I am having an addition done and everything is everywhere. My daughter couldn't understand why I had to box everything in the kitchen, "Just because they are demolishing everything." You know, in that teenage 'voice." No, I am going to leave all the china and glassware in the cuboards and just let them smash everything. Yikes, I am so tired of explaining myself. Tibet here I come..... just imagine I will not have to talk at all. There is not one square foot of my house that hasn't been put somewhere else....and that somewhere else is the basement. All this disorganization just to get organized.

• Eleanor Smith-Litt
    6 years ago

Enduring, thanks for the great photos. Inspirational really. Loved the clip also.

• Gigi Johnson
    6 years ago

Holy Moly (Ohio). Great job. You rock!