SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fnmroberts

Updated Master Bathroom

fnmroberts
11 years ago

Finally finished! We gave our 17 year-old Master Bath a facelift without relocating any plumbing, changing the tile or bath tub. Their condition is totally satisfactory and the housing market in our area simply doesn�t warrant such additional investment. Overall the layout was/is functional. Room measures 12 x 8 so isn�t particularly large but does have a volume ceiling.

What we did:

Gutted an existing Linen Closet, opening it to 8 feet in height, and then inserting a custom-built cabinet into the space. New cabinet incorporates drawers and frosted glass doors for a spa look; replacing the original bi-fold door and wire shelving.

Constructed a matching vanity with an overall 34" height, deeper drawers and offering better utilization of counter space via enlarging it 2" in both dimensions, then replacing the builders molded faux marble with granite (St. Cecelia) and under-mounted (Kohler, Caxton 17") basins. Door/Drawer hardware (Top Knobs, Nouveau) is polished chrome. Electricity has been added below one basin for a hair dryer and tooth brush. Sink fascia�s tilt for accessible comb and hair brush storage. Overall the two cabinets have approximately doubled available capacity in the same square footage permitting improved organization and convenience. Wood selection is Maple, stained almost ebony, designed with a furniture look.

Removed and replaced the original shower enclosure with semi-frameless �" glass, incorporating a pony wall into the shower thus increasing its area. The pony wall has been capped with identical granite to pair with our vanity. A robe hook has been installed through the glass for hanging a towel while showering. Shower door swings inward or outward. Mounted (simplehuman) shampoo/soap dispensers.

The original full width mirror has been replaced with a beveled glass "floating" one attached to the wall. Really wanted separate tilting mirrors but with only 5 feet I just didn�t think they proportioned right.

Installed a 27" tall medicine cabinet (NuTone) replacing the original 18" one.

For a WC we selected Toto Ultramax II, elongated, SanaGloss and comfort height to replace the original. Much quieter.

Painted and mirror-backed an existing wall cabinet for perfume.

Faucets, shower head, towel rods and robe hooks (Kohler, Forte) are in polished chrome.

A fixed window has been changed to one that opens and exchanged the sky light too � both with low-E glass.

Installed a ceiling fan � Casablanca damp area.

Added night lighting on the plant ledge and electricity/cable connection. Probably won�t ever put a TV in the bathroom but space on the wall above the medicine cabinet could accommodate one. We previously replaced the builder strip light with a pair by Kichler which remain.

Paint is C2, Slinky on the walls and Shark Fin on the ceiling though the color distinction isn�t what I imagined it would be. May paint some clouds on the ceiling as previously had that effect and liked the look.

The entire process took 9 months, much of it waiting for the cabinet maker, a local one-man operation, who had a couple kitchens ahead of our project. My husband did all the demolition, electrical, painting, cabinet installation and plumbing. Professionals handled the shower enclosure, window install, granite and cabinet building to his design. I�m sure some tweaking will continue but right now I�m happy with the new look.

Here�s a link to photos. My first exposure to Photobucket.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bathroom

Comments (8)