SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

most mysterious BLE seedling ever found - even tho it's just an Ilex!

davidrt28 (zone 7)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I've posted before about how easily most things self-seed in my garden. There are TONS of holly seedlings under my various medium to large Ilex opaca. My non-native hollies do not seem to be self-seeding nearly so much, even though the seeds on Koehne hollies last much longer as they are not favored by birds. Anyhow they get pulled, cut or sprayed with a high dilution of RU without much thought. Soooo glad I gave this one a second look.

I need to carry out a closer examination with a flashlight tomorrow, but I am almost certain the extra-glossy and almost spineless branch IS A SPORT. NOT a seedling! It really looked like all of this was coming out of the same seedling stump, I think I had whacked with my Stihl brush blade, probably in spring 2016. If it is a seedling, the seed literally landed in a tiny crouch formed when the brush blade cracked the stem of a 1/2" caliper seedling; that seedling is also resprouting. But it seems to me, in that case, the new holly would have to be much smaller? All branches coming out the ill-defined nub are about the same size.

What do you think? Ever seen a sport with a very different leaf shape like this, as opposed to merely being variegated? Dave since you have grown many hollies, I'm anxious to hear from you. I've seen slight variation in Ilex opaca leaf shape - and I think we've already talked about the mysterious forms with reddish new growth - but this is completely "out there"!

What is so odd is at first I thought, wow, the rare Eurasian X American cross might have happened. Well, I should have said American X Eurasian...this is almost directly under a 10' Ilex opaca wilding. But it definitely seems connected with the conventional opaca looking branches. It was such a shock. They are definitely more glossy, not sure the picture captures how different it was. You see some dreaded Smilax which is what I was trying to get rid of!

Comments (3)