SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

This is the most depressing spring ever....

bethnorcal9
12 years ago

I haven't posted much lately. Been busy tweaking photos of my oft-ruined roses and irises. This has been the single most unusual and most depressing spring I've ever experienced in the 21yrs since we moved back to CA after my husband got out of the Navy. I generally stop running the heater by April 1st, even if the temps dip to say the mid-60s. Oh no, not this year. I even had the heater on this morning... June 3rd!! I cannot even fathom it. It's just so unbelievable. By now in normal yrs we would have temps creeping up to the triple-digits. We haven't even had more than one day in the last several weeks that went above 70 degrees, and that was quite awhile ago. Been averaging in the 40's lately. The roses are in full swing, and the the irises are winding down. The irises were a few weeks behind in starting up and are still blooming well beyond the normal time. It's so weird.

We've had drizzly rains for the past couple of weeks with occasional breaks for sometimes only a few hours or maybe even a full day, but the sun rarely comes out for more than a few minutes at a time. I haven't seen a cloudless blue sky in over a month. This past week or more we've had at least two tornado warnings, and had several actual tornadoes touch down, doing real damage to the almond crops and some farmland and out-buildings. Unreal!! I mean we've had occasional "funnel cloud" sightings in the past decade or so, but I don't ever remember any actual tornadoes touching down and doing any damage at all.

I have felt over the last few yrs, that our seasons seem to be shifting. Winter has been starting gradually later, and lasting longer into our normal springtime. And last summer was one of the mildest ones I've ever seen. We only had a handful of days above 100 degrees. This yr, I'm not even sure we're going to get ANY summer at all. And "spring" is more like winter. I have a feeling we'll see a few warm days maybe later on, and then just go right back into winter again. And that is going to depress me even more than I am now. I am a summer person. I hate winter. I hate cold temps and rain. I need sunshine and warmth to make me happy and comfortable. I have arthritis throughout my body and it aches with the cold temps. I can't get into doing much of anything. I just don't feel like it. And I hate feeling like this. I need to get outside and deadhead and clean up the pine needles and weeds. My garden is overgrown and messy and downright ugly right now. The B/S is worse than I've seen it in yrs. My little baby OP rose seedlings are all mildewed and beginning to get bug-eaten. I may lose many of them. I go out in the yard and just get depressed.

We also got a new dog and she's a holy terror in the yard. Digging everywhere (probably hearing the moles) and tearing up plants and dragging branches and old shoes and crap all over the place. I even found one of my older son's shirts that he apparently dropped when he left one evening, and she had chewed the collar and ripped a big hole in the back of it. She drives me crazy. She follows me around when I'm out in the yard, which is ok, but she scares the birds away. Right now we have evening grosbeaks and all sorts of songbirds out there feeding at my feeders. I want to get some pictures of them, but she scares them away every time I get out there.

I'm on vacation this week, and intended to do some yardwork. Of course, that has been impossible. I don't seem to be getting anything done, and it's upsetting. It's just so frustrating. I love the roses and irises and other plants.. and love my yard, but right now I hate it all. And to make matters worse, today my allergies are really kicking up. I'm sneezing and can't breathe. Auugghhhh!!! Sorry guys. I just needed to rant a bit. It's like having cabin fever I guess. I used to love the early spring and the spring fever feeling coming over me. I have yet to feel that and don't know if I ever will this season.

In between rainstorms, I do get out and take pics, and I thought I would share a few that came out decent. These photos are from the last couple weeks. They are taking forever to get sorted and tweaked. My new camera is nothing like my old one. It doesn't take the pics in the size I'm used to, so I have to scale them down and crop and fix the color and contrast, etc. I think out of 100 photos, I might get one that is pretty close to accurate. And then, my son put Ubuntu on my computer instead of Windows, and it doesn't have Photoshop. It uses a program called Gimp, which is very similar, but either my computer is too slow and old or it's just a slow program. It can take over a minute for the particular adjusting tool to load, and then a few more seconds to set up, and it takes sometimes 4 minutes or more to tweak one photo. I still have over 400 waiting to be fixed. It drives me crazy.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the many roses blooming and getting ruined in this disgusting weather:

CHARLES AUSTIN

{{gwi:293129}}

JANET

{{gwi:293130}}

LADY HILLINGDON

{{gwi:293132}}

JAN'S WEDDING

{{gwi:293133}}

KUROSHINJU

{{gwi:293134}}

MANOU MEILLAND

{{gwi:293135}}