SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth09

Sharing my Pumpkin Cake recipe

beth09
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I came across this recipe several years ago. I think the original recipe was by Paula Dean, however, I changed and tweaked it a bit so it's mine now I guess. It's really yummy. Not heavy. (read: you can eat a big piece after dinner) ;)

4 eggs

1 2/3 c. sugar

1 c. canola or extra light olive oil (I use the latter)

15 oz. can pumpkin

2 c. all purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ginger

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Grease 9x13 pan.

Mix the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. In small bowl mix all dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients in two increments, mixing well until smooth. Pour into pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Cool.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 stick real butter, softened

3 c. powdered sugar (I use just a tad over)

2 heavy tsp. vanilla extract

Mix butter, and cr. ch. til smooth. Mix in vanilla, then powdered sugar in 2 or 3 increments. (If it seems too thick, add a Tbsp. or two of milk to loosen it up.

To frost, I have found that trying to use some sort of instrument (I've tried everything) inevitably ends up pulling parts of the top layer up (as it's so moist) and then you have crumbs mixed in your frosting. Not a good look! Sooo, I eventually tried using my scrupulously clean fingers. This way you can control everything better, and it works perfectly. I just make little flips up all over, turns out very pretty. Like tiny little white waves all over. You could also use medical gloves if you have them. (I do, use them when working with peppers)

My youngest son says the frosting really makes this cake. He's pretty much right, but the cake part is tasty as well. Enjoy! And have a blessed Thanksgiving. :)

Comments (6)