SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamiesuec

How to finish plank walls in pre-1854 house

jamiesuec
6 years ago

We've been renovating a house in Charleston South Carolina. When we bought the house we thought it was 1940s but with more research the earliest record of the structure is 1854 and it looks like part of the house is older than that - perhaps a farm building. Under many layers of drywall and old wallpaper, two of the rooms of the house have these really wide stacked plank walls and I'd like to leave some/all of them exposed. Does anyone have suggestions on how to finish them?

There is only one wall in the bathroom. It has cleaned up nicely just with washing, but it will be directly behind a free standing tub so we need to seal it somehow, I think.

The other walls have not been cleaned yet and have many layers of old paint and wallpaper. We've experimented with cleaning patches and it's challenging where you see the white paint. I can sand them down some but also don't want to lose the giant old saw marks. I'm very open to keeping these walls very rustic and would even preserve some of the wallpaper in place if I could find a way to do it that minimized filth.

painted white boards at the bottom are the most difficult/perhaps impossible to clean wood. (stove pipe hole in the middle of the wall. not sure what to do there either)

closeup of bedroom wall above with hand for scale

single bathroom walls that had no paint and has now been washed.

close up of bathroom wall with my hand for scale

Sample thickness of the wood

Thank you for your thoughts!

(and, if you're just curious about this sort of thing, a member of our neighborhood put together this detailed history of the house. We've also found things like old inkwells, a bottle, and an unexploded revolutionary war cannon ball that required a bomb squad)

Comments (6)