SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_780057684

Lost of issues post pre-dry wall meeting for a new home

5 years ago

Hello all,

My wife and I are currently in the process of buying a new home from Toll Bros. We just finished our pre-dry wall walk through the house and found a couple of issues which got us really concerned.

Here are a few examples:

a. A load bearing post in the house has a 2 inch crack spanning more than half its length and also seems to be expanding. They claim it to be safe but are unwilling to provide any written guarantee regarding it.

b. Original plans showed a portion of the W.I.C being used for ducking. In the meeting, they told us they had to double the space. The reason was not quite clear. This is also not covered in the architectural plans I got from the county.

c. We have asking the builders for clarity on the backyard landscape. The backyard plans are not covered in any document or exhibit. We were told we will given a rough plan for the backyard in our pre-dry wall meeting. But we came back with the same basic questions we had. Questions like: At what level are you planning to level the land? What about the slope at the end? What about the slope at the window wells?

As of now, my wife and I feel the builders are being vague purposefully since it seems like its in their interest to prolong these questions in terms of the contract. Have any of you faced these problems? How do you recommend handling these issues from the builders? Can we speak to any authority regarding this?

Thanks!!

Comments (27)