SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
modegirl79

Inexpensive update ideas for family room MUCH appreciated!

modegirl79
6 years ago

We are aiming to list our house for sale around January 2018, and our family room area needs MAJOR help. Our house is a 1960s bi-level style, 3 bed/2bath/2-car garage. The family room is "L-shaped," approx. 15'x20', the largest single room in the house. We've had our house nearly 10 years, and it is the one room we haven't touched. Considering we have a fully updated kitchen and super modern bathrooms on the main level of the house, the family room is going to look absolutely terrible if we just leave it as-is. The rest of the house is truly move-in ready. The family room? Polar opposite! I honestly think this room really needs WAY more help than a good cleaning and fresh coat of paint!

Current sorry state of the room: terrible pastel blue paint and hideous, warn-out blue/green floor tile that the previous owners literally placed right on top of the foundation. The room has 3 windows with ugly darker wood trim. Best part of all? The room has an "office-like" drop ceiling with old-school recessed lighting straight out of the 1980s. We actually attempted to replace the floor several years back, but opted out when we saw cement foundation right underneath after installing a sump pump in the laundry room, which has the same floor tile.

Our plan of attack to revitalize this room:

1) Replace drop ceiling tiles

2) Replace existing OLD recessed lighting with recessed lights from this century

3) Paint the room a neutral "Greige" shade in eggshell finish. Trim areas & door will be bright white semi-gloss.

4) Installation of lighter-color, modern-rustic wood paneling on one wall without windows as an "accent" - this is where we plan to place the TV when we're ready to "stage" the house.

5) Installation of new light & electrical switch covers.

6) Installation of new temperature control panel

7) Installation of new door handle

8) We're stuck when it comes to the flooring - what, if anything, can we do about this flooring issue without breaking the bank?

I LOVE the idea of carpet tiles (something cheap & easy we can do on our own), but my husband thinks it's a bad idea to stick anything to the existing tile. It won't be our house, ultimately, so frankly, I don't care! The other idea I had was interlocking floor tile. Looking for something totally DIY, around $1 or less per square foot. Alternate option - we leave the flooring in tact, give it a really good clean and maybe it won't look all that bad? Your ideas will be hugely appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (21)