SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schmitzmg

Ficus (?) Tree Losing Leaves

Michael Schmitz
6 years ago

My wife and I purchased what we were told is a Ficus tree from the farmers market about three months ago. I know it's not a Ficus Benjamina, which I gather is the most popular type of indoor Ficus. Is anyone able to identify the species from the pictures?

Over the last few weeks it's been losing its leaves. Interestingly, its only dropping leaves from the inner canopy. The leaves yellow and develop several, very small, grey to black dots and eventually fall off. The leaves on the outside of the canopy seem to be doing fine, in fact I think they may be getting bigger. Any thoughts on why it's dropping leaves?

I should mention, the leaf drop seemed to coincide with the change in season from summer to fall. Perhaps it's not getting enough light? I initially thought the culprit might be a mite or insect, and so I have been spraying the tree weekly with an organic fungicide, miticide, insecticide mix. Also, it was in standing water for about a week soon after we first got it, but it never seemed to develop root rot. I used to think it was bulletproof.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting