SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joey_r_a_1991

Shower valve threaded connections use marine epoxy?

Joe A.
6 years ago

Hello everyone. Would really like some opinions on what I've got going on here.

I'm remodeling my bathroom. Installing a new tub and re-doing the walls. I have used copper pipe and fittings for the whole process of installing/ aligning the new shower valve. For about 2 days the walls were open with the new valve installed. There were no leaks. I checked it at the end of both days and felt and saw no wet spots/ leaks/ drips. I proceeded to installing the cement board and then tile and finally grout. When applying the last bit of grout with the float over by the hole for the valve I saw the leak! Yikes! It was a small wet spot where the threaded shower valve connects to the female copper fitting on the hot water inlet. I wrapped all the male threads in about 4 wraps of teflon tape. I admit I must not have cranked down on the female copper fitting(s) well enough. After testing the water for the tub spout and shower head, I noticed the valve supplying the shower head was having a small leak at the threaded female fitting as well! UGH!! Instead of taking the wall apart and re-doing the whole thing like I should have, I used this marine epoxy from orielly auto parts. I cleared away the showing teflon tape, sanded the brass threads as best as I could, sanded the female copper fitting near the leak, and wiped it all off with 70% alcohol and let dry. I mixed epoxy as instructed and applied with a latex glove. I used an inspection mirror to see the back side of the leaking areas to make sure I missed no spots.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/j-b-weld-4009/chemicals---fluids-16461/glues--adhesives---sealants-19861/epoxies-19863/marine-epoxy/8272/4388179

I am curious as to how long a repair like this can last? I see no leaks anywhere as of now. I have read a few forums posts about it and saw that repairs with epoxy have lasted up to 8 years. Should I re-do this? I could have gotten to it from the drywall on the other side of the wall and not ruined this shower valve. :( Looks like someone already did that exact thing before if you check out the pictures. What do you think about this?

Thank you!

Comments (17)