SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

A Brand New Garden Toy

My Birthday passed a month ago and I have been wanting this pole saw for 4 years and could not talk myself into it because of the cost, but year after year I was really aware how much I needed a good pole saw. Not on like my last one. That one was a frustration. So this is my Bday present to myself. I love my husbands Japanese saws that he has in his shop. They do make work so much easier.

A woman on the perennials forum who is a professional gardener in England and does orchard work and has an allotment with lots of trees on it recommended this saw. She lives like me in old clothes and cars but loves a good tool so my ears perked up. I decided on the 16' Hayouchi Silky pole saw.

I was out there first thing this morning in my nightie trimming cedar branches off some tall cedar trees... no hardhat... bad girl. It cuts like butter. It cut beautifully on the pull stroke and never bound or bent on the push stroke. One has to lighten on the pressure on the push . I did not go for the oaks because I have no way of spraying wound sealer on the wounds.... yet, and it is the wrong time of year to trim oaks safely in regards to Oak Wilt.

I went back on the computer to do research on it, and came up with this really simple cheap solution repurposing my useless old rusty pole saw pole into a trusty ol' spray doohickey . I just need to get/buy/scrounge a strap hinge , hose clamp, twine , a nut and bolt . Real simple. I probably have them hanging around, but finding it is the difficult part. We have walls of hardware stored in our 2 workshops. Check it out the design below.

PRUNING SEAL SPRAY DOOHICKEY ON A STICK

I do have a question . Do people oil or wax the blades to protect them? If you do, what do you use?

Here are some pictures of my precious baby. I have not named him yet. Each one of those sections is taller than me.

Comments (15)