SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

30" AG range to replace NXR... any current advice?

Stacey Collins
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum here, and I've just spent an hour reading through various threads, but I am hoping folks can give me some input about the current models (although I'm also looking at a couple of used ranges too.)

So, yeah. The NXR did NOT hold up. I won't go into it all, but we've put a lot of new parts into it and at this point, we either need to replace ALL the burners or just get rid of it. We're choosing the latter. Every time we cook on it it stresses us out.

I was really hoping we could find a used or scratch-and-dent for under $2,000. The best we've found so far is a used Viking NG (I think its the VGI3054 model) or a used Viking that appears to be sealed burners.. I don't know the model numbers right now. I know there have been LOTS of issues with Viking, though, so buying one of these (at $1600 or $1800) makes me kind of nervous....

My ideal is a Wolf sealed burner 30", but it's not in the budget. Thoughts on a sealed-burner BlueStar, maybe? DCS? Any other ideas? I don't want a Bertazzoni or any new/Chinese brand after my NXR experience. If I'm going to shell out for a new range it better last.

Needs:

• true 30" width to fit existing space
  • sealed burners
  • ease of clean-up is important. I realize different surfaces clean easier/harder.
  • not a teeny tiny oven (I'm looking at you, Bertazonni!)
  • burners at least as good as the NXRs re: power and low simmer capability

Current local prices with rebates and stuff:
Wolf GR304 $4,450
BlueStar RCS30SBV2 $3,499
DSC RGVs404 $2,999

Thoughts? Thanks!

-Stacey

Comments (5)