SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 158 - Rules that should not be broken.

beachem
6 years ago

Let's talk about common sense rules that should not be broken in kitchen design.

Aisle width:. There is a lot of give in width that people can live with but you should not go below 24" width. I think anything less wide would make it very uncomfortable to work in as you swivel from side to side. It's too easy to hit your elbow or arms on something like a pot on the stove.

Task lighting:. It's very necessary to have good lighting where you plan to prep. Knives are dangerous enough without being able to see what you are cutting.

Wood or flammable material immediately next to or on top of a stove especially if you have a high BTU. My Blue Star 22K BTU burner is incredibly hot to the entire area. It burns my hand even to the side of the stove. Imagine making a flambé with a wood cabinet right above or just go the side. My lost eyebrows and eyelashes can attest to how high and wide a flambé can explode especially if you are dumb enough to use moonshine.

What else do you think should be avoided while designing or remodeling a kitchen?

Comments (72)