SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

talk to me about maple darkening/yellowing

stillpitpat
6 years ago

Big thanks to Sophie Wheeler for mentioning the fact that light woods darken over time. I don't know how I made it to age 47 without knowing that, but I didn't know, and neither did my husband. So now we are in a quandary. We would like our cabinets to be a close match to the light woodwork running through our house (which is old, possibly very old, and has some sort of tinted varnish on it). The door to the dining room and the baseboards are the only places in the kitchen that have this wood, and the cabinets will be opposite that wall, so it does not have to be a perfect match. I can deal with installing lighter cabinets and waiting for them to darken as long as they don't darken too much. I am attaching a picture of the Scherr's maple sample we got along with the birch. I would be OK with it darkening to be maybe a shade darker than the door, but not more than that. The kitchen is small and gets little natural light, so I want most of our materials to be light colored.

Here is an example from Scherr's of how maple changes over 7 years:

Is this an example of "ambering?" I don't like the pinkish tone at all, and this makes me nervous. And would it darken/amber even more over time? Should we be looking at white oak instead? That's a bit golder than I would like. I want a wood that will remain pretty light and don't know what to do now.

Comments (24)