SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

My plan on growing hinoki from cuttings-good or bad?

I've done quite some research(including threads on this forum) on how to take cuttings and root the hinoki. As always, almost every resource state different things and everyone had their different way of doing things. So I compiled all the different pieces of resources and came up with a method of my own. Just want to know if this sounds ok or not as this is my first time propagating conifers.

So I have a 6x3 ft portable greenhouse and the 'windows' are made from plastic where you can zip open and close. I started melon and watermelon seeds earlier this spring and had great success with it. I put a bendable light on during the day inside and it gets HOT in there. Also very humid. Melons and watermelons went wild in there. So I will use that to put the hinoki tray in. I've got an annual flower tray that I can use to put the cuttings in. Of course I will bleach them and sterilize it before I start. I figure I won't need a heat mat since it gets so hot and humid in there. Probably 85 F +. Once I stuck my head in there and it felt like I was in a tropical jungle.

I'll take about 30 cuttings in the beginning of December, make a side wound on the bottom of the cutting, stick it into water, then rooting hormone powder and then stick it all in the tray of 1-1 peat moss and perlite. I'll lightly water it before it gets dry. I'm going to use both the light bulb and sunlight(greenhouse will be in front of a south facing window) as a light source. Does this sound right? Anything you realize thats wrong?

Comments (77)