SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlynn1187

Decorating the front entry hallway

jlynn1187
6 years ago

I wish we had a little entry nook where I could stick a small table and lamp, but unfortunately, when you walk into my house, you immediately see th stairway on the right, the dining room on the left and the hallway to the kitchen straight ahead. Currently I have a large dark brown mirror on one side of the hallway, and a photo collage and 8x10 photo on the other side (both also dark). I’d like to lighten up this area a bit so I figured the easiest thing would be to change out the mirror. Found one at homegoods and one at target. Let me know if you think either of these would work better! Or if you have other suggestions!

Current hallway and mirror:

Alternative 1: Silver/wood mirror from target (this one is about the same size as my current mirror):

Close up of frame...

Alternative #2: champagne colored mirror from homegoods (design is the same as the current mirror except it’s a bit taller and wider):

Heres a pic showing size difference of two new ones:

Comments (16)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another pic of both...

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another option... I had purchased some candle wall sconces to put in the dining room on either side of the China cabinet, but they might work on either side of the current hallway mirror? I was really hoping to lighten this area up, which I’m not sure this would accomplish...although I supposed light colored candles may just a bit. Is this too boring?

• Related Discussions

Do you like piece for front entry hall?

Q

Comments (15)
    The piece does not have to be centered on that wall. It can be centered with the door open. Many times we are limited to the walls and structure of the house, but I was thinking of placing the server in the center of the wall from the door stop to the interior door trim. Yes, it is the Paula Deen collection, but with her recent situation, I tried to avoid any potential negative comments! I do love the oatmeal finish and it is a nice, casual piece of furniture, I feel if I were to center a piece of furniture on that wall, it would limit me to a much smaller piece of furniture and with the high vaulted ceilings, it would dwarf the piece.
    ...See More

Help with decorating front foyer and hall

Q

Comments (5)
    You have a really nice chest in a good location. I would leave it there, but remove the cloth from the top. The lamp looks nice. If you are using flowers there, real or fake, make the arrangement larger. The striped seat is too large for that area. I like family pics, but it does look less cluttered without them. Do you have another area for the gallery? I tend to gravitate towards black for frames, but you can have a mix. You can help to set the tone you want by your choice of mirror over the chest and artwork on the wall where the striped seat is now. A rug in the style you like would also be nice. Pretty paint choice!
    ...See More

Entry hallway decor ideas

Q

Comments (3)
    Adding a mirror in the hallway will give you the illusion of having a bigger space and it's perfect near the entrance because everyone needs to have one last look at themselves in the mirror before heading out.
    ...See More

Hallway rug advice please for long hall/entryway

Q

Comments (7)
    and nothing in the hallway? I do feel I need the foot trafficked areas to have rugs to protect my floors. I like the idea of a wider rug in the entry area, but I still want a runner in the hall. I guess I’m just lost on how to approach mixing and matching rugs in a contiguous area.
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

The element that I find lacking is the rug, which is too narrow and rather boring. To bring life to this space I would pick a colorful, possibly tribal or Oriental rug which would make this space glow and take attention away from the view ahead. I would then install an eye-catching light fixture overhead which will also add drama and importance to this space. I don't think the sconces would add anything to the wall. The silver and wood mirror would be lighter, and the right size. The other one is a bit large. For myself I'd probably pick something a little more playful and not so rigidly severe and rectangular, but that may not be your style. For that matter, I might pick a colorful painting rather than a mirror.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks, Ingrid! Are you recommending replacing the pendant light there now or adding another one somewhere? I always love beautiful entry way lighting but never thought my house would accommodate it due to layout (since there’s no grand entry with a little welcome nook). What type of fixture would you recommend?

Aa far as the wall decor, I had a thought- what about using the rustic mirror with the sconces? Would that look strange?

I like the idea of a more playful piece but I’m not sure where to find that! And I don’t know what would work here. I love the window pane mirrors (maybe with a magnolia wreath hanging in front?) but haven’t come across an affordable one that I like. Any ideas?

Finally, the rug. I like the idea of bringing some freshness in with the rug. I had recently been looking for a rug to place under our kitchen table (you can see the area in my pic above). It’s a square high table so I was looking for a 5x5 square. It looks like a couple of the ones I was looking at also come in a runner. Would you suggest getting the same pattern for both or not since theyre in such close proximity? If i went with one of these for the runner or kitchen rug, what type of print or pattern would complement it? Not sure what the rules are for mixing patterns. I have lots of this light blue/aqua in my house so I was drawn to these.

Thanks!!!

• deegw
    6 years ago

I like the rugs that you picked but I think to ground the space you need something with more presence. Deeper color, more interesting pattern. What other colors do you like besides blue/gray? Do you have colored carpet going up the stairs?

Indoor outdoor rugs are great for entries and under tables. They all have different textures, some are plasticy and scratchy, some have nice soft pile.

I like your sconces but I think the mirror is going to over power them. Definitely look for new lighting too. It looks like you have a flush fixture and a school house light? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

• graywings123
    6 years ago

I can see how a lighter frame for the mirror would lighten the hallway over one with a darker frame, but I am kind of "meh" on mirrors in general. There is nothing for it to reflect, it's kind of dark there, and no one is likely to be doing any primping at that mirror. I don't think sconces are going to help. It is a pass through area, and I would keep it simple.

I agree with Ingrid that you will get more bang out of a really nice hallway rug, and one wider than the one you have now. I suspect the 2'6" width will be too narrow. And from having shopped for hallway rugs, they all seem to be that width.

I think you could go larger with the foyer chandelier. It would be nice if there were a second light in the hallway, but installing one requires some mess and some expense. You have to decide if it is worth it.

The rug is where you want to put your money. You might want to go custom made.

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

I think those mirrors are to similar to what you have. How about two large prints of your little ones? ...

do you live near ikea?
    If you still want a mirror, how about round...

From what I can see of your kitchen table, it doesn’t look like you have room for a rug. The rug is suppose to be large enough, that when you scoot back in your chair, your chair is still on the rug.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

Well, look, if you're going with mirrors, why not just paint the ones you have? A little painter's tape, a little silver spray paint, voila!

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

I, too, think a runner with bolder pattern/colors and a new more impactful light fixture would be my choice to brighten the hallway. It also looks like you have room for a bigger entry rug. Can it handle a 4' x 6' ? If so, I would get one to co-ordinate with the hallway rug. What are the dimensions of the hall-the part that has walls on each side? Also is the light fixture in the hallway centered and do you have another fixture in your entryway?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

As mentioned by others, I still suggest a more vibrant and colorful entry rug, and a much larger than the 5 x 5 ' that you suggest for the dining area. Make is as large as you can for that area. You have to be able to pull back the chairs and still have them be on the rug. I wouldn't make the rug the same as the hallway rug, just make sure the colors and patterns are compatible. Your rug choices are very "safe" and bland. You may need to step a little outside your comfort zone and make bolder statements with your decor. Try to find darker rugs which have some aqua or light blue in them, but not as predominant colors. A geometric design such as you show doesn't look appropriate.

I don't think the sconces add any interest, and I'd look online for mirrors or, preferably, go for some art. I would replace the light fixture with something that hangs down. It doesn't have to be huge, and should have some darker metal to add some impact.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, all! The entry hallway measures about 9’ x 3.5’. I measured the kitchen table and it’s about 3.5’ x 3.5’ so I’d probably need at least 6’ wide in order for the chairs to have enough breathing room. Most of the rug sizes I’ve seen that come close to fitting in this space are either 5’ x 8’ rectangle or 5’ x 5’ or 6’ x 6’ square. What’s the rule about rugs when the room size is rectangular but the table is a square? Do you find a rug to match the room or table?

I’m decorating on a (tight) budget and trying to get as much accomplished as possible before we host people at our house for my sons birthday party on October 28. Online shopping seems to be my go-to at this point since it’s difficult to get out of the house with a toddler and a newborn (who is cluster feeding right now lol). We do have a Target and a Home Depot nearby, and I can do ship-to-store at either for the rugs which would allow me to look at them before committing to taking them home. That’s why I’ve been looking at both of those places. Plus Target has a 30% off sale on all rugs that ends tonight!

I know the geometric prints I’ve been looking at may not be the most original, but I really love it. If I did use this print somewhere, do you think it would be better for the entry way runner or under the kitchen table? Then I could find something complementary for the other. Could someone help me choose something that complements this print and my house color scheme? (Preferably at Target - or Home Depot) My house has lots of shades of blue - Pottery Barn porcelain blue silk dupioni curtains, peacock blue pillows, blue and white kitchen backsplash. It also has hints of light green. Our sofa is gray, walls are light tan/beige.

I’m at a loss with the walls in the entry. I thought the distressed mirror with the sconces looked nice but I guess wall art might be a nicer option. Again, in the essence of time (and money), I don’t know if I’ll be able to find something in time for the party. Any specific suggestions? I like the idea of family portraits there but I want to inject some texture or interest in that space.

If someone could link to specific suggestions of items, I would love you forever! I’m driving myself nuts! lol

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also... if I did do family pictures on the wall in place of the mirror, what do you think about canvas prints vs. frames prints? I measured the mirror there currently and it’s 36” wide by 29.5” high. Would you recommend one larger one or two smaller? Maybe with the sconces on either side?

• 2pups4me
    6 years ago

I would not do large family pictures. In fact, I would leave the right wall bare and concentrate on a more interesting foyer fixture and rugs. It's a hallway - not a destination.

• User
    6 years ago

jlynn - You really are trying so hard to do a lot in a short time frame. I say take it easy and take time to digest advice you've been given. Don't feel that you must change so much before the birthday party. Your home is lovely. Fill it with all those people who love you and those dear little ones. Afterward, breathe and start to tackle the things that bother you. :)))

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think canvas would look good. I would probably do two, one each of your little guys. Size would depend on the size of your wall and your preference. Paper templates suggested. I too prefer simple, so I would remove all other photos. Ymmv.

I would not rush into anything. Your home is very nice and ready for guests!

ETA: I was writing the same time Delilah posted:) just want to add I agree with her!