SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Black + Color Phobia

Funkyart
6 years ago

OK.. I don't have a color phobia.. but with black, I very much limit the colors I'll wear. I go primarily for black + ivory, gold or camel. In the spring summer, I'll add aqua, pink and light lavender. And I have a deep love for bright green/chartreuse but only in a very narrow color band and it's rare that I find something in the right shade.

As I am shopping to replenish my fall wardrobe, I am forced to recognize how limited my closet is. I've evolved to primarily black for the office and for dressy occasions. Almost all of my tops are either black, white or ivory. I do have scarves-- but again, they revolve around my old faithfuls.. black and pinks, black and ivory plaid, camel, tortoise/animal print. I love the combinations but I think I am in what classifies as a rut!

I don't wear red.. ever.. and I really don't care for bright blues/electric blues... and while I like gray, I don't especially like it on me unless it's a very cool gray. I did spread out a little this weekend and bought a necklace with a brick red/orange leather band. This is as close to red as I will get lol.

What do YOU wear with black? Knowing my likes/dislikes, is there a color you suggest to ease me into something new? (noting that I will probably start with a shell or a scarf lol).

Comments (58)

• Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

If you have scarves you like already, maybe pull them out and see if there is a color in one of them you'd like to try?

Though I agree with Palimpest that there is nothing wrong with a limited color palette.

Funkyart thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • Related Discussions

snake phobia PLEASE help moving to snake country

Q

Comments (47)
    In my opinion best advice is to seek treatment for phobia. I had a severe phobia of dogs that I had to get treated and it is very worth it and I think a lot of people that have more "socially acceptable phobias" (e.g. spiders or snakes rather than beloved dogs, people thought I was evil for being scared of dogs! even though I have been up to cottonmouths before and been fine, didn't bother me,... but as a kid I got CHASED DOWN by dogs and attacked so...). We share this world with a lot of creatures, it's something to get used to. Desensitization&exposure therapy is best to build yourself up first before you ever see one. That being said, eliminating brush piles in areas you frequent/maintain a lot, keeping it open will keep snakes out of those areas and make them favor more wild spots. Keeping things open tends to be best for the more cultivated areas of the garden anyway, to maintain airflow. ALSO snakes are often not very active in the day except after rains. They don't like being out in the open especially in the day because one of their main predators, hawks, can see them. I rarely see snakes around my house and I have a bunch of brush lol I've only seen them out at night (there's the cutest baby kingsnake but i digress). avoid times when snakes are most active and you'll be a lot less likely to see them. anyway best of luck treating your phobia, it's a hard road but very worth it to be free of it
    ...See More

What are your phobias? Mine happened today!

Q

Comments (33)
    Dentists here too - I have to be sedated or have an all-out panic attack (the screaming, barfing, peeing-yourself kind). Good thing about that, though, is that I can have 4 hours of dental work done in one sitting rather than having to go to multiple appointments. My dentist is a double-doc, he's also an MD in anesthesiology. Sadly, he's also hideously expensive, so I don't keep up as well with my dental work as I ought (medical insurance won't cover the anesthesia - which is the pricey part - since it's for dental work, and DH's employer's dental plan is a pathetic joke). Heights... I still have cold sweats remembering driving through the mountains in PA and the high, high, HIGH bridges I had to cross. Really peeved other drivers because I could only go about 35mph with my flashers on. I had this terror that if I went any faster I would go over the guard rail. Oh, and did I mention that it was windy, and that I was driving a Suzuki Samurai with a u-drag-it trailer - NOT what one would call a stable vehicle! Odd one - vomit. Seeing (even on TV or movie - when did it become so acceptable to show this in detail? they wouldn't show someone having a bowel movement...) or hearing someone throw up, or smelling vomit, is enough to send me right over the edge. Add me to the list of claustrophobes, too. I had my first head MRI back before open or partially-open MRIs were common, and I screamed nonstop through clamped-shut jaws during the whole 45 minutes. (Being, shall we say, horizontally gifted, I was in physical contact with nearly the whole tube, and then they put this cage thing over your face... *shudder*) They gave me ONE puny little Xanax. DH was on the microphone repeating "if you touch that button or move an inch, you're going to have to start over from the beginning" in a very stern voice. Now pretty much all the MRI machines around here are open or semi-open and it's a piece of cake.
    ...See More

Street name phobia? Check these out

Q

Comments (117)
    powermuffin, we're almost neighbors! I live south of Longmont, but used to practice yoga at the studio on Tenacity Drive, and dated a guy who lived on Gay Street (some 16 years ago). He said the street name did give him pause when he bought the house, and though he managed to get over it enough to live there, like your husband he was quick to "explain" the name when giving out his address. My childhood home was on Walden Road, so no street I've lived on since has had a name that's half as idyllic. The streets in our current neighborhood are mostly last names, which is boring, but better than cutesie or pretentious I suppose.
    ...See More

Do you have a phobia?

Q

Comments (75)
    Bears due to encountering a problem bear on my first backpacking trip many years ago. I still go but sleeping alone at a campsite can sometimes be nervy. My little dog helps; I figure if he's not barking, nothing is out there. :-) I didn't use to think of sharks but probably would now if I still swam in the ocean. And rip currents. Not really heights. Unless I'm standing on an unstable surface that might give way and cause me to slide toward a precipice, or just a painful bouncy slide. (Loose slate or shale) Once it was snow. Probably just abundance of caution though, not paranoia. Driving on snow didn't used to bother me but after sliding back down a steep hill that I didn't make up with four locked wheels doing a 180 into the ditch, I've been known to sit at the top/bottom of a hill trying to work up the nerve to start down/up. No snow covered black icy hills here though. :-)
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    6 years ago

I feel you. I keep telling myself not to buy any more black and gray! But I dunno, I keep loving things I happen to find in those colors. OTOH, no one has ever told me I look good in black or gray, and they have told me I look good in red, orange, navy, and (according to DD) green -- so why am I not buying more in those colors?? I'm due for a clothing shopping trip, and I really am going to try to focus on more color. I actually do feel more cheerful when I wear brighter, happier colors. I need to remember that.

Maybe try ONE item in a color that is "out of the box" for you and see what happens? See if you get compliments, or if you feel particularly good (or not)?

Back to the jewelry -- is that actually a necklace, or a bracelet? I like it!!

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • rosesstink
    6 years ago

I don't wear red either. (Well, one t-shirt that was a gift.) I do, however, like maroon and burgundy with black. And <gasp> brown. And lots of other colors that you may not like. Just about anything goes with black so try some things on (shells are great for adding a bit of color) and find what feels comfortable. Don't force yourself to add colors though. While expanding your clothing color palette can be fun and surprise you, wearing what you feel comfortable in is important. (Turquoise is a really good color. Just saying.)

Funkyart thanked rosesstink
  • User
    6 years ago

I won't wear yellow in any tone (including mustard or gold) due to a somewhat ruddy complexion or peach/salmon, which makes me look washed out. However, that emerald shade of green in the blouse you showed -- oh, yes! (BTW, would you share the source?)

Funkyart thanked User
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

I gravitate to my whites! White sweater, t-shirt, hoodie. I have so many other colors, but I have to be in the "mood" for them.

Delilah, the green looks like a JJill.

Nothing wrong with having favorites if they work for you.

Funkyart thanked eld6161
  • cawaps
    6 years ago

I have a lot of black and charcoal skirts--maybe 8--and wear them with pink, purple, French blue, royal blue, teal, turquoise, aqua, red, magenta and maroon. The only shirt I don't wear with black is brown.

Funkyart thanked cawaps
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Great words of wisdom, Mtn! TY

Crl.. yeah, my winter/fall scarves are pretty much brown/black/ivory/gold patterns. Animal prints, plaids and a few florals. All the same colors for the most part. I do have the emerald pashmina and a great bright green wool plaid one (I always get compliments in the bright and funky greens). I have a few hot pink ones but they're too warm to pull out yet.

Sue.. I always think of you as colorful and fun(ky)! If you can wear the colors, do! The necklace above is also a bracelet.. Lizzie James, you can wear them as a wrap or a necklace. This one is the only one I'd wear as a necklace though-- the others are funky kinky (in the not good way) as a necklace but the one I bought lays flat.

rosestink, I do like black and brown together-- I have a number of scarves with both. I actually look better in brown than black but i wear black suits/pants. I wear brown with jeans. I don't wear any iteration of red-- no burgundy or maroon nada. I do wear turquoise but not in the winter/fall. I think I need more sun/color to wear it.

Delilah, we are like opposites. I do well in salmon, golds and pale yellows. And yes-- eld is right. The shirt is jjill. They have a LOT of green this season.

I am starting to think that I wear the colors I do because they work best with my complexion/coloring. I read the colors cawaps mentioned and about half of them made me shudder lol. My middle sister wears all those colors but she's paler than I am and has dark hair. I am slightly ruddy and blondish.

I received a new shirt last week-- it's way too big so I have to return it but the color just made my face come alive. "color". is crème brulee. I think I need to pay more attention to what does that-- makes my face come alive. I also wore a button down shirt with a lavender stripe last week. It had the same affect... so I am thinking lavender is good.

crème brulee (has a little more color to it than you can see-- it's a rich cream):

Maybe I need to revisit the "what are my colors" thread. I gave up on it the first time. I just couldn't fit myself into a category.

Thank you all.. I need to be up very early but I am going to think about what color to wear tomorrow as I head to sleep..

• cawaps
    6 years ago

I look like death warmed over in black, and white isn't great. Pinks and lavenders are very flattering on me.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

With black? mm..I wear white, cream, ivory, tan, taupe, camel, grey, deep gold, navy blue, bordeau, emerald green..brown, yes, but I find that I like black tops, brown pants better than the opposite.

I love all sorts of pinks-from blush to deep magenta, but interestingly I wear them together..same with purples(plums, aubergine etc)..less with black. I can wear them with jeans, blue or grey ones...but rarely pair in one outfit with black. Same with red. I wear it with black but only small touches. When it's a red then it's a lot of red for me..I love red.

I don't think there's anything wrong with reaching for similar things. I have things I'm in love in for years. Was lightly packing just in case to evacuate if the fires reach us..well then I decided to read instructions of fire department,and let me tell you-I obviously started from the wrong end lol. but showed me that a) I have enough clothes and b) I'll get by with that carryon too if needed..would be a pity of course..

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Sounds to me like a part of you really wants to venture out but another part of you is fearful for whatever reason. Black is a neutral and goes with any color, any shade, so you can't go wrong. Ask yourself, what's the worst that could happen if you wear color? Are people going to point and laugh? I think not. Rather I think you'll find that you might enjoy wearing some color and be happier for doing so. So I say, go for it. In fact, I'd suggest that you go into a store and try on a black jacket purposely with some colored tops that you say you don't like, like a royal blue or turquoise, just to try it on. Once you get it on, you may change your mind. You really don't know until you try. And by trying, you may be able to stretch your horizon, which sounds like where you really want to go.

I'm all for picking colors out of scarves for inspiration. If you haven't been to vivienne files, I'd suggest a visit. She does a great job of using scarves for inspiration for entire wardrobes. For example here's one with gray, green, brown, lt blue and a hint of yellow.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Since most of my ‘bottom’ wardrobe is black, I echo what’s been said. I happen to love deep reds, not tomato reds, but deep burgundy, merlot, and crimson. But if you don’t care for it, deep olive green is another fave of mine.

I love the emerald top you posted and also would suggest royal blue or deep teal.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

The worst that can happen is that you waste money on clothes you don't wear and they hang there and make you feel guilty.

so don't do it

Try some stuff on, but if you don't LOVE it, don't buy just to add color to your wardrobe. I've become the queen of free shipping because I've become very fussy about my clothes and if I don't want to put it on when I go in the closet, it doesn't belong.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

At work so will be very short for now. I am not afraid of color. Not at all I wear many colors (though not all --not all look good on me). I don't LIKE black with a lot of colors and I am trying to ease into adopting more to the work/occasion wardrobe vs jeans and casual wardrobe where anything goes.

for instance I love orange -- but I'd never where an orange shirt with a black suit.

i dont think I'll embrace colors I don't like --esp because coincidentally (ahem) they're the colors that don't look good on me. Maybe for shoes or belts -- but not near my face. I do think I need to open my eyes to the colors I like but don't pair with black.

more later .. thanks Annie and April

• czarinalex
    6 years ago

I also gravitate to black, grey and ivory. But I do have a few items of blue. I really like the combination. This is not me(I wish!), but the color combo I do wear often.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I guess my point is that what is not "you" may not be "you" simply because you don't wear it. I watch a lot of what not to wear, now in reruns, and most of the contributors go through a stage of where they are convinced that something "isn't them" because it's not what they've worn. But once they start trying stuff on, they start to see themselves in a new light and it becomes "them" in a new way with a new style.

But I know what you mean about orange and black ... too halloween. I have a yellow cardigan that I love, but can't seem to wear it with black ... too bumblebee!

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    6 years ago

I pair any color other than navy blue and dark brown with black (generally speaking). I tend to avoid orange with black due to the Halloween connotation, although I don't really wear much orange so that's not a huge concern. The only color I avoid in my wardrobe because it is unflattering on me is yellow, which means I basically pair 90% of the spectrum with black!

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

ok i went through some of my pics (for something else) and realized I don't remember myself what I wear..found myself in black plus muted pink..and in black plus a touch of rusty red plus white..and in black plus taupe plus olive green..and in black plus multi colored flowers..

it appears I'm an unreliable sourse lol

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

My clothes are pretty boring most of the time but I tend to be more adventurous with coats and accessories. I've had this orange corduroy coat for about 127 years and people compliment me on it all the time, so I need to keep it until the day I die. Here I am posing with a friend.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Sue that looks good with your hair color.

I had a yellow swing coat in my 20s. It was so ugly. It was school bus yellow. What was I thinking.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

wow Sue you remind me..of me

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I have a very bright lemon-y yellow rain jacket I love. Ah! that another thing i wear with black sometimes. lol

• Lyban zone 4
    6 years ago

Funky art,

love the necklace. Where is it from if you don't mind sharing.

edit....never mind I see you answered this already.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I wear a ton of black. When in doubt: black. The best color on me is red, not every red (esp not an orange red), but ruby, claret, Moroccan red, rich reds. I hang tops in my closet (including tshirts) by color. They are black, red (including raspberry and dark rose), white, navy. That's essentially it. I can wear any color pants as long as they go with one of the colors of my tops.

As for a rut, if you look good in a color, why force other colors that you don't like?

ETA: Idle question for Funky and Mtn. You guys don't like red. Is it that you don't like how you look in it? Or something else? You don't have to answer that. I hate pink and most pastels. They look awful on me, and I really don't seem to have home objects in those colors either.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

funkyart, I think our closets must look very much alike! When I was younger, I did wear a bit more color in the winter, but as I got older, I did not. Summer? LOTS of color, but then I look best with color when I have a tan, not winter pallor!

I decided many years ago that my jewelry/shoes/handbags were the fashion story for me, my clothes just the background for these. Yes, the black velvet the jewelry shows of his finest resting upon. It works very well for me. I do wear the occasional Hermes scarf or shawl - used to do so far more often but now that I"m on supplementary oxygen, I don't need one more thing "hanging off of me"!

If one looks at how the typical Parisian woman on the street dresses, it is pretty much like you and I do. A white blouse occasionally, but neutral colors - black, gray, brown etc, and good jewelry, shoes and handbag. It's a far more economical way of dressing - a weight gain does not mean a splurge piece of clothing is relegated to the "maybe someday" part of the closet. We instead splurge on things where a weight gain does not matter. Or age! Or gravity!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

See, Sue? You are adorbs AND colorful! Keep the jacket forever!

Alex, I love that blue/black look on her-- but it's just not one I'd ever wear. That electric blue is another red for me. I don't like it on cars.. on the wall.. or in my closet. I can appreciate her outfit but I wouldn't want to emulate it (though I WOULD consider the bag. Not sure why it's ok there but it is).

Linelle, I can't completely explain it. I do look good in some reds but my dislike of red goes wayyyyy back. I think it's too "in your face" for me. It's not that I am a wallflower or especially shy. I just think that red is kind of a bully and a blow hard. I don't like the way it seems to overtake my look.. or my home. I especially hate it on my lips. That said.. I have a 20 yo red leather motorcycle jacket in my closet that I can't seem to part with. I also have a red sequin Chicago Bulls tank that was a gift (I bought the leather jacket myself).

I am going to contemplate color for a bit before I jump to refill my closet. I did a quick google search of "black suit for women" and they were predominately shown with white or ivory. A few reds and few fuchsias. I also looked around my office. I much preferred the look of black and ivory or black and white. Sure, there were other colors that looked good.. but I found the black and ivory just much more striking. I do like this look for the cooler months.. but it is one of the colors I like with black and like on me.

I am going to give the emerald green and a darker violet a try (I do wear lighter lavender with black in the spring/summer)... and as always, I am on the lookout for anything chartreuse or funky green.

Thanks all for your suggestions and guidance. I'll let you know what I choose to extend my color range!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oh.. and since I have them saved, I do want to remind you that I do love color. It's the combo with black that gets me into a rut. Here are a few things I've saved (and I've purchased all but 2)

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Funky...I do look particularly adorbs when my face is blurry ;-)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL Sue..

Anglo, you know.. I think that makes sense. I loooove the simplicity of a basic outfit with a great scarf.. it's so easy to wear and easy to get out the door.

I used to have great shoes too but these days I have to wear flat and boring shoes. I think you just talked me into buying a new bag though!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Anglo, When we were travelling in France this summer I was determined to look less-American. Maybe so I would not have to apologize. At the same time, I think Jterri was extolling monochromatic head-to-toe looks, too, which I try to do more and more. For the trip, iI stuck with neutrals, dressed up a bit more than normally, and toned down makeup and jewelry. It occurred to me it was a good rule for anywhere. Of course I am sure I screamed "American" anyway.

Me and red. How long do you have, Linelle? My personal dislike for red runs so deep, that my family says they don't like red (except for DH who doesn't care much one way or the other), and pretty much no one in the house owns anything red. (DH has a red RedSox t-shirt he got free at spring training. It occasionally surfaces). More than once it has been color day or color wars or holiday or school colors or some darn reason we had to rush out and buy something red for one of them to wear to school. It's always a calamity.

I have had the red flowers removed from my gardens here. This summer, the gardening guy at the beachhouse planted a bed of annuals without asking me anything, which he was supposed to. He claimed I had okayed it all. DH took one look at it, saw something red, and said "that is just not possible." I have read more than once of people who ban red from their garden, so I feel vindicated.

All else equal, I would choose products that do not have red packaging. I would never choose a hotel with red in the decor. Certainly have never owned a red car, and I won't rent a red one either. I did used to wear red as a teen (I wore every color). I don't recall owning a lot of it. I recall at a pretty young age hating red roses, which is really where i think it started. I find them funereal, as they often have almost black edges? Or else they seem tawdry, and Vegas-y My beaus always knew it had to be a very pale pink.

I sound like a bit of a nut about red.

My DH thinks I must have suffered some sort of red-related trauma that I am blocking out.

I do have red lipstick, and I think it looks good on me, but I feel it is too strong for just about anything but a New Years party or a rendezvous.

And for years I felt that the only classic nail polish was red. I don't paint my nails but I do get pedicures, almost always OPI's Kennebunkport. A full-on red. A french manicure would suit me better but ski boots usually batter my feet too much for a pale color to work.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Mtn...I laughed when I read this...not because I feel the same way about red, but if you substituted PINK in every place you've written red, that would be me. I detest it. There is nothing pink in my wardrobe, I've tried to ban from the garden, but it keeps showing up, nothing in my home is pink. Thank heavens I have only a grandson who has caved to societal pressure that "pink is for girls" so he's not interested in it either.

I have to say that the only pink I can tolerate is with my European men friends who seem to wear pink shirts when they are dressed up, and look fabulous in it. I guess I love pink for men; hate it for girls and women and me.

I sound like a bit of a nut about pink!

• amylou321
    6 years ago

Oh olychick,you WOUND me. I love pink. My kitchen is pink, including all my pots ,pans, baking dishes,cooking and eating utensils,knives,potato peelers,pepper mill,salt and pepper shakers,crock pot(one of them),blender, food processor,emersion blender,my mixer,toaster, kitchen towels,teapot, etc. Pink is all over my house, and my life for that matter. I feel the need to add that also collect hearts,i have 5 or 6 casseroles in various sizes that are both pink AND heart shaped. (I never claim to have good taste ;op) SO is remarkably tolerant,or else he doesn't notice. Frankly, either scenario works for me.

(I guess we're both nuts about pink,but from different trees :) )

Most of my wardrobe is pink too. But there are also a fair number if purple,red, and pale blue items. I won't wear anything orange,yellow,green or dark or navy blue. I look weird in them,and I HATE orange anyway.

Black really does go with anything. Buy what you like. The emerald is lovely, I wish I could pull that shade off,but I cant.

ETA: When in doubt,buy more pink. (My life's motto)

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

This thread has just been so entertaining to read through! Fun, funny, and giving a bit of insight as to everyone's likes and dislikes, color-wise . . . and the whys. Oh, and I hope it's helping you, too, Funky (LOL)

Although white is my favorite color, I do have a lot of black in my own wardrobe, too. And I do wear other colors with white or black, mainly turquoise, pale buttery yellow, taupe, a clear medium purple, Kelly green and a softer paler green. I LOVE pink, but I look terrible wearing it, so it's relegated to my one garden.. I look terrible in bright yellows, medium grays, any dusky colors (the worst being the hated mauve) and orange. I do like red, but pretty much never wear it . . except for OU Sooner events. Then, I wear cream with crimson as the secondary color. And, red paired with black reminds me of a deck of cards and Las Vegas for some weird unknown reason. I almost always avoid that combination because of it.

So, after many years and many fails, I do know what colors I look good in. And, although I love seeing other women in scarves that make their outfits really stand out, I am like a 5-year old when it comes to wearing them myself (seriously). Someone out there should write a book called "Scarves for Dummies", and I'll buy the first copy! So, my alternative is to wear bold necklaces and earrings. Not cutesy pieces (ugh!), but classic ones in mainly silver with turquoise, amber, amethyst, onyx, etc.

• llitm
    6 years ago

I haven't read through all the responses so apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned. Have you considered a color analysis? It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Every color will go with black but not every color (hue?) will go with your skin tone. I assure you, a color analysis will make clothes shopping so much easier; you'll shop with confidence and no more second guessing yourself.

• Kitchenwitch111
    6 years ago

I wear a lot of black and grey. Whenever I do wear a color, I get compliments, so they must look good on me, or maybe it's just that it's something different. Recently, while packing for a weekend trip, even though I have a full closet I realized that I don't have many different looks to choose from – I could pack a black V-neck, boat neck or turtleneck, silk or knit,short sleeve, long sleeve, tight, loose, and then mix it up with a grey shirt but that won’t look right with the grey cardigan -- I got to the point of why pack anything they’re all essentially the same and would anyone actually notice that I have on a different black shirt
    than what I wore yesterday.

Now when I shop I don't allow myself to buy another black or grey item and I usually end up not buying anything!

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

I just started a thread on colors.. a personality quiz I found on Facebook. My least favorite color of all --"salmon" -- was not a choice. I think I'm a bit overblown on my dislike, unless it revolved around a nice piece of salmon filet. I'm not fond of pink, but will wear it. Well, okay, I have ONE pink top, and nothing else pink at all.

It is actually chartreuse I run and hide from.

Apparently, this means I have a fear of being misunderstood. I'd agree, yes.

I actually don't care what color that flowers in my garden grow. Anything, red, pink, chartreuse, even salmon! Just vary it up!!! And don't expect me, necessarily, to wear it...

Noting - Mom always told me I looked best in red. Perhaps, I just never was clothing conscious, and really remain that way now.

I went out to dinner at a causal place with several friends last night, wearing a black t-shirt over dark blue jeans. (The t-shirt has an awesome aboriginal Australian artwork on its front Predominant color of the art is dark tan, with some bits of white and a rustic red.) I remain finding a place for nearly all colors somewhere, if only in the garden...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I can't say that I don't like, say red, because there are so many shades of red...some I like, some I don't. And it also matters what the colors are with and with what intensity and proportion of the whole outfit. I think about what I learned making my crocheted quilt and how even though these are all the same colors with exactly the same pattern, which is background and which is accent makes all the difference.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Funky and Mtn, thank you both for taking the time to answer my question about red.

Funky, I will admit I'm not a fan of primary red (primary blue and yellow, for that matter). When I wear it, I don't feel bossy or assertive or in your face. The last thing I want to do is make a splash or stand out in a crowd. The simple fact is, I look good in red and there are precious few colors that flatter me. I love Middle Eastern/North African colors and motifs and that's the kind of red I'm talking about. Please don't hate my red!

Mtn, as much as I love wearing red and/or having it in my house, I don't have it in my garden either. Not because I hate red, but it seems that red flowers are kinda shrill. I go for purple, magenta, white, yellow or gold. They go better with my gray house. If a red volunteer appeared, I'd probably go, sorry honey, you just don't look good here. Maybe something happened with red that you're suppressing. Sorry. I know what you mean about red roses, not my favorite. Give me white or Peace roses any day. But then, I'm not a big rose person anyway. I'd rather have a bouquet of wildflowers.

While we're talking about colors in our garden, I can. not. abide. tropical colors in my garden or anywhere else.

Oly, yes, pink must die!!! But I feel exactly the same as you if it's a man's shirt (and he has enough coloring to pull it off). What is up with that? A girly color I hate but it can be gorgeous on a man. I once saw a pale pink stucco house and I loved it. I have a passion for gaura in the garden right now, and I'm fine with the pink variety. Just don't make me wear it.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

..if I'llI post several pics of me in different black plus..

.. white and red

..white and pink lol (I had a year of being platinum blonde. yes..all the stereotypes are true!)

..gray, taupe, and olive green

.. camel and tan

..plus pink and more black

..plus jeans:)

(I didn't dig too much to find florals.. and that favorite lemon raincoat, etc..)

..will you think I'm having a strange evening? lol

• Bunny
    6 years ago

April, you’re adorable! I had no idea you were so young and cute. You’d look fab in anything. Love your hair.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I also have no idea I'm so young..the pics were taken during past 10 years..:) some are older some newer. The middle ones are the newest I think. it all started feeling like just yesterday..

thank you Linelle, you're too kind

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

April.. thanks for the inspiration.. and yes, you are adorbs too!!

I am wearing army green with my cream today-- but I am also wearing dark jeans vs. black. Baby steps.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

April, you're gorgeous! You remind me a little of my cousin's wife, who's also gorgeous!

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

thank you so much..for kind words, and patience too..don't know what fly bit me yesterdsay..))

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

April, love your hair in all its various colors!

I cleared out my closet yesterday now that fall is actually here, and realized I have more colors than I realized...one top in particular that I always like is a dark turquoise/teal color -- I think I need to find more tops in that color! I recall a salesperson telling me and a friend that that's supposedly a universally flattering color. Maybe that's one to try, Funky!

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Bunny
    6 years ago

I'm in Santa Rosa, CA. I'm hoping to get gas service back on today so I'm sponge-bathed and on third day hair. Not complaining as I'm grateful and fortunate to have a home and electricity and my dear kitties are safe and with me.

But, colors. Jeans (natch), black tshirt, red/black checked flannel shirt. I would wear this every day if I could.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

funkyart, you can find good looking flats but some will be expensive. My new go-to flats for spring/summer/fall, are by Toms - cheap and SO many varieties. They also work with the orthotics I must wear in my shoes.

When I need to look a bit better, my old standbys are my Belgian loafers <http://www.belgianshoes.com>;. They are only sold in NYC or by catalog. I take a 7 1/2 in most brands but in my Belgians, I take a 7. They come in many widths - in regular shoes, I wear a C width; in Belgians, a M. Ordering from them is a pain - they make a run of one color/leather at a time in Belgian, so one asks what is available in ones size and one gets whatever they may need for the next 2 years! They are unfailingly rude to everyone, no matter how many years one has been buying them. But they're worth it! They're wonderfully comfortable shoes, can take an orthotic, and are very attractive. I can wear them with church clothes and a fur coat and they "work".

When one buys them, they come with a sole that is soft, just like the leather of the uppers. Wear it that way for at least 6 months to a year - doesn't matter if the sole gets worn or even is beginning to develop a small hole. Then, when they've truly molded to your feet, take them to a local shoe shop for a VERY thin sole to be glued to the bottom. If you're not sure of your local shop, send them back to Belgian Shoes and they'll do this for you. They also offer a refurbishing service - they can really make a tired pair look like new again.

If you can wear a low heel, Ferragamo's classic bow low heel shoe is a classic winner - comes in a jillion colors. They are now also making it in a flat. Again, expensive, but I have ones that are 20 yrs old and still look good!

If you're really willing to splurge on a low heeled shoe, Roger Vivier makes their classic pilgrim buckle in a low heel and a flat. I one of each. I've had both now for about 10 years and they have held up very well.

Funkyart thanked Anglophilia
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sue, that's a color I'll have to try. Light turquoise works well for me.. but not sure about the darker color. I just walked around the house looking for something to try next to my skin-- nothing. I'll try soon though!

Anglo, I don't mind spending good money for shoes-- and I usually do-- but I generally stuck to under $200 unless they were really something special. I was a die hard cole haan fan -- and I still am to a degree but I find the fit and quality isn't the same as it used to be. They do last longer than most of the others I've bought in the same price range so I have stuck with them. I don't mind cheap shoes for scruffing around or something cute for a specific outfit but I don't bother with them for every day/work shoes. Tom's don't work for me but I have my share of cute/cheap shoes.

I really like the Belgian loafers. It's more than I would normally spend but I am seriously considering a pair now that I am limited to flats. There are a few cute styles-- though I didn't see what they have in my gargantuan size yet. I don't have a need for anything this dressy all that often anymore.. but how cute is this ferragamo shoe??? If it wasn't $600+, I'd get it just because!

I just returned from a vision therapy session and they have given me a small window of hope that they'll be able to bring back my depth perception. I don't think I'll ever wear heels again but I may be able to work a smaller heel and wedges again. Until then, these are pretty cute too!