SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anon_username

Range hood ductwork through crawl space?

Anon Username
6 years ago

I'm looking at a new house that has what appears to be a pretty nice kitchen, including a nice hood over the rangetop. I open up the cabinet above the hood and see a nice 8" duct, but it takes a 90 degree turn and goes into the wall, and after that, you cannot tell where it goes.

So I talk to the builder. Turns out, it then goes down into the crawl space and terminates to the exterior.

So it goes up, then takes a right angle turn to go horizontal through the wall, and then apparently takes another 90 degree turn to go back down to the crawlspace, and then apparently takes at least one more 90 degree turn to go horizontal again to make it to the outside crawl space wall.

Am I correct that this is a highly disfavored way of running a range hood duct? Seems like having a minimum of three 90 degree turns (including one that is effectively a 180 degree "U" turn) would seriously diminish the effectiveness of the vent?

And, as an aside, this is a brand new building company. The owner has been in the industry for about 20 years but just recently created this company. The choice for how to run the range hood duct work makes me wonder if they made other weird decisions in the construction of the house. Is that a valid concern or am I being too picky?

Comments (18)