SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjknsf

Talk me out of a suede couch!

rjknsf
6 years ago

I haven't spent much time on this page, but thought I'd throw out a question. I am looking to purchase a new couch. We have decided we want to go for leather. The couch has to serve double duty. It is both a couch for entertaining and a couch for lounging/movie watching. I popped into Restoration Hardware today and totallly fell in love with a couch upholstered in full grain leather suede. It was like sitting on a soft baseball glove. It also looks very fancy. I am aware that suede runs the risk of being stained and difficult/impossible to clean. Setting cleaning issues aside, how will suede wear over 10-15 years? Is it likely to dry out? I ask because I know that it is very difficult to condition suede the way you would a normal leather couch. If anyone has a suede couch, I would love to see photos and especially if it is a few years old.

A few notes:

I am unlikely to actually purchase the couch at Restoration Hardware. I am aware of quality issues and find the price a bit high for the quality of the product. I am having a difficult time finding a couch maker that provides the quality I seek at a reasonable price.

I am comfortable with high maintenance things. Most of my other furniture is reclaimed wood, I have marble on my kitchen counters, and I love patina.

Comments (3)