SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miscemail11

Remove redundant fuse box

miscemail11
6 years ago

Hi, discovered dryer won't stop and no heat. Traced problem back to small 2 fuse box near dryer. One of 30A fuses blew. Replaced, dryer ran and then blew one fuse again. Found lint trap was completely covered and also did some research and found someone had issue with corroded contacts in fuse box. Checked and mine looked dark so cleaned them to bare metal, replace fuse again and dryer ran without problem.
I would however like to remove this fuse box and also replace the original dryer wire (house 50 yrs old) with new 10/3 wire. About 12 yrs ago had reno and contractor upgraded fuse panel with breakers, but left dryer wiring as is. Today the dryer is running into that small two 30A fuse box near it and then wire runs to 220v 30A breaker. So dryer is double protected.
I'm just triple checking there is no valid reason to leave the small 2 fuse box, the main breaker is all that is needed. Even though only one fuse blew, the breaker would have tripped correctly had it been the only thing between it and the dryer?
Thanks!

Comments (2)