SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Sandwich Generatin Vent

bpath
6 years ago

I'm taking a turn at venting.

On August 5 my dad had a stroke. 2 weeks in ICU and stroke recovery unit, in rehab since then.

Mid-August, change of caregiver at their home, where my mom (who has Parkinson's) is still staying.

Late August, took our younger child to freshman year at college 11 hours away. Grabbed the wrong box of bedlinens and the expired credit card on the way out the door.

Have bounced between parents' house and rehab since then. Mom's Parkinson's is affecting her communication skills (constant word salad, inability to make decisions). We just reinstated Home health (which had ended two days before Dad's stroke) and at the same time just by chance found out about a Parkinson's program nearby. If she goes to any of its programming, she's not eligible for home health. If she sticks with home health for another 6 weeks, she misses out on a lot of socialization and the support group.

Just found out DS is struggling at college, old performance anxiety issues in full bloom.

"Take care of yourself" "Put on your own oxygen mask first" yeah yeah. Every time I try to do that, something interferes: someone has to go to the ER, or the nurse calls, or the painter contracted 2 months ago starts work and we need to leave the front doors open while they dry.

My saving grace is my Dear Husband. He likes to cook dinner! He does his own laundry! He picks good movies and shows that we enjoy with a(nother) glass of wine after dinner. We walk 2 miles almost every morning and talk about almost everything but our troubles. He makes the coffee lol!

Some days as I drive to a parent, I'm about to cry in the car. I just picked up another Jen Lancaster audiobook to give me a giggle while I drive. I hope it helps.

Thanks for the vent. You may now return to your regularly scheduled activities. Though, I know we all have similar things going on. There IS no "regular", am I right?

Comments (164)