SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sipsy_gw

Need to vent !! :-( (very long)

sipsy
15 years ago

Does anyone here have in-laws who are just selfish and just really don't care?

I married my DH very young (I was 17) and have been married to him for 30 years. His family has caused us nothing but pain, heartache and anguish ever since we have been married. It really started before that because for my wedding gift I received from my MIL and his 2 sisters a display mixer and display can opener with the open boxes in a TG&Y sack.

We left the area and moved away from them when we had been married only a year. My DH went on to earn a degree while I worked and later got a well paying job. No one was really proud of us yet they showed up for the graduation. I felt the whole time he was in school they were hoping it wouldn't work out since they showed very little concern for us.

Through our marriage we visited them and were not treated very nicely but continued to go because we both thought that is what "good" children were supposed to do. While there I felt like a total PITA as on some occasions for meals MIL exact words were "tonight we are going to fend for ourselves". On another occasion after we arrived from the 5 hour trip over there she did have some turkey ham (gag me) for sandwiches and the potato chips were a conglomeration of all the leftover chips from the past 2 or 3 weeks. We watched her take all the ends of 5 or 6 bags of different varieties of chips and pour them into a bowl and place them on the table in front of us. All I could think of was how many hands have been in those chip bags.

All through the years I cried and got upset with my husband and told him how wrong this all was and how much they apparently disliked us. He made excuses for them and we continued to visit them occasionally. The last straw was when his GM died in 1993. We all gathered together to attend her funeral yet a few weeks later when her things were divided up we were the only ones that we not contacted to see if we wanted anything. I had given her many nice gifts over the years and even some furniture. No one asked us did we want anything. Later, DH did casually mention that we were left out & his mom said she thought we were there. As a matter of fact, DS who got most of what I have given her insisted to his mother that we were there.

I can count the number of gifts MIL has given me over the years with the fingers on one hand. One of the gifts was a necklace that they gave you at the grocery store for spending so much $ each week. When she gave it to me she told me that if I didn't like it she would just keep it and wear it.

The years have gone by with limited access to them. When they have come to my home I always went out of my way to have good food and show them a good time. While visiting her home it was repeat of the potato chip incident and the like. I left with my feeling hurt saying I would never go back, but always did for the sake of my DH.

Now here we are 30 years later, we have a beautiful home because of our hard work and determination and are both quite happy. We have managed our money so well my DH has taken an early retirement. We have both worked really hard decorating it and making this home our own. MIL was here last week for a visit and never said one word about how nice it was or anything.

I have tried and tried to be like family to these people and they won't let me. They have made my life miserable and I am tired of trying to make it work. I think my DH is finally after all this time beginning to see what I have seen and fought with him about all these years.

DH has a 35 year class reunion next month that he would love to attend because he has never been to one before, but going will mean that we will have to stay with MIL. I just really don't think that I can go over there this time. I am thinking we could stay at a motel and not let anyone know we are there, but the town is so tiny we likely run into one of his relatives over the weekend. And even if we didn't, a photo of the class is always published in the local paper and they would see it.

Unfortunately, there is no one else to stay with there. I guess my DH could go alone, but I hate for him to attend a reunion without me.

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thx for reading this and letting me get it off my chest.

Sipsy

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH