SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayled

Am I crazy here?

kayled
6 years ago

Hired a highly recommended handyman to convert a half bath to a full bath. i bought a standard tub with a front apron and a flange on three sides- seemed like a straightforward install. Handyman has installed purple drywall over the studs (no vapor barrier), placed the bathtub over the drywall, and drilled THROUGH the flange into the drywall to hold it secure (when I asked how he intended to install tile over the screw heads, he said he was going to "grind them down."). Walls also aren't square with the tub everywhere- I suppose he was going to use a big lump of thin set to fill the gaps? Anyway, I told him I'm concerned about moisture, and that minimally I wanted him to put up a couple of coats of Redgard before he tiles so water would run behind the flange. He said that it's not necessary because the drywall he used (again, purple drywall not cement board) is water resistant. I said something to the effect of I'm going to insist on it, it's for sure not up to code the way it is now and this would make me feel a little more comfortable. Well I irked him and he left the job in a huff. Guess he didn't want to be bossed around by a girl.

I started asking around to find someone to help finish the project. We got one guy to look at the pictures and he said "oh that isn't an issue, I've seen plenty of baths done that way." And he sided with my handyman saying I don't need Redgard/other liquid barrier.

Question for the builders out there:

1. AM I CRAZY?! Because everyone is making me feel crazy. Can this install work?

2. If I'm not crazy, can anyone point me to the relevant IRC codes? I would like to be able to point to the codes this is out of compliance with. I'm in enforcement-happy New Jersey if that's relevant.

3. My thought going forward was to install a plastic barrier and then cement board on top of the existing drywall. This would mean I'd have almost no edge on my tub but would be the fastest solution that might work (time is majorly of the essence here). I grew up in construction so I'd consider myself an above-average handy(wo)man.

Thanks all. Don't know where else to turn. Help!!

Comments (46)