SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

Anyone seen? tried? salvage from Timeless Timber, Ashland WI?

formerlyflorantha
14 years ago

Some years ago a project was started for salvaging sunken logs from the cold waters of Lake Superior near Ashland, WI and Chewamegon Bay. The wood was cut a century or more ago and is said to be very dense in grain because the logs grew slowly in dense forests. Apparently there are unusually colored pieces also, giving exotic bluish or greenish or reddish boards occasionally. Currently they have elm, maple, birch-- birch being the favorite of customers. The website is a mess, but if you root around on it, you can find photos of the products. I have talked to a salesperson and will go to the lumberyard to look at their wares in person. (Like other companies that are involved with the construction industry, they're cutting back on staff, etc. ) He says they sell everything from a little piece of wood all the way to large orders. Boards, flooring, countertops, violin wood, veneers, whatever. The company has also salvaged logs from other sites in U.S. and Canada.

I am curious as to whether anyone else has looked into this product or knows anything about it. I'm considering a couple of 24 " x 24 " butcherblock slabs for use on each side of my range. Am I crazy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood salvaged from Lake Superior sunken logs

Comments (15)