SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Vintage Formica?

mtnrdredux_gw
13 years ago

http://www.countryliving.com/homes/house-tours/marthas-vineyard-cottage-0510?click=main_sr

I am redoing a 1902 Connecticut farmhouse on a pond. I want a high end yet casual kitchen that doesn't look fussy and is unique ( call it 'Peacock 2.0"). So far I am planning on wideplank wood floors, painted creamy white light distressed cabinets, a wooden work table, and white marble (preferably aged) island. The only place I planned to use color was on the beadboard inside the cabinets (a very light robins egg blue). I also planned on zinc countertops.

Then I saw the kitchen above (see page 8). I love the look of the old formica. It just looks like every summer cabin you stayed in growing up, doesnt it? I love it, although I am usually all about neutrals. I also would like the surprise of using a humble material among upscale cabinets, appliances, etc. But I have been searching and I don't think you can buy it anymore. It is a linen look. It seems all of the formica you see today is either faux something, or it's retro 50s boomerang (not at ALL the look i want).

Before I give up and go back to zinc, has anyone been able to find linen look formica in cool colors like this one?

Thanks!

Comments (16)