SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eplumeng

Updating this 1940's kitchen?

eplumeng
8 years ago

Hi all - we moved into our house a few years ago, which was built in 1917. The kitchen is adorable with a definite vintage look. The counters are actually 3 different types - part is stainless, most is faux-wood Formica, and then another section is butcher block. The cabinets are in ok condition but it may be that we'll need to completely remodel in 5-10 years once we have more money saved up. The problem right now is that the Formica around the sink is warped. I would really love to update the kitchen, focusing mostly on new counters/backsplash, and have been researching like crazy but cannot make a decision! Because our house was built in a farmhouse style I would rather make it look more like that as opposed to going full out 40s/50s vintage (colored Formica, etc).

Anyway, all this to ask: if this were your kitchen what countertops would you use? Butcher block is appealing but I am worried about water around the sink - I am a messy cook and lazy cleaner! Right now I'm thinking plain white Corian but wonder if all the white is too much. I haven't thought about Quartz or granite just because I wasn't sure how that would look with my cabinets.

Any other suggestions for how to improve the space (like removing some upper cabinets? I don't have the vision for that but it may be needed) would be welcome! Thanks!

Comments (33)