SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heelg

Looking to revive some house plants

heelg
6 years ago

Hi,

Plant noob here looking to revive a couple of neglected house plants. The first one pictured, I believe is a pothos. I've faithfully watered and occasionally fertilized the pothos for several years now. It was a wedding gift to my wife and I. Fast forward 6 years later and my 8 month old son started messing with the plant since it was now within his reach on the end table in our living room. I moved it to our extra bedroom for about a month and neglected it due to a busy work schedule and the baby. Tonight, I remembered I hadn't watered it in a while. It seems droopy and the growth seems stunted. Might sound silly, but I kind of feel an attachment to it. It is a living thing after all and I would like to help it thrive. Have a new location with indirect sunlight picked out in our bedroom. New location is also out of the reach of the baby!

I read about "pinching" or "cutting" the pothos vine and replanting the cuttings in the same container to get a fuller plant with less of that scraggly vine appearance. That would be my goal, but I'm just not entirely sure on the proper technique. Also wondering if the container is too small and if the brown specks pictured on the vine are called "scale," which I read can be detrimental to the health of the pothos. I have attached a pic of the stretched out vine as well as the way it looks when I coil it up to save space. I also attached pics of the mystery brown specks on the vine and the stunted leaf growth at the end of the vine.

The other plant(s) pictured in the blue ceramic container I have no idea about. I know there used to be a good bit more variety in that planter, but a lot has died off. Admittedly, I probably overwatered this one. Any advice on what to do with those plants is appreciated!

Thanks!

Looking to pinch or cut the vine for fuller appearance

Brown specks on vine/poor growth at end of vine

Not sure what these plants are and what can be done to grow them fuller.

Comments (19)