SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Reviving a dying grape vine and some backyard trellis ideas?

cziga
14 years ago

Hi there, I'm new to growing grapes and looking for a couple bits of advice.

The first, I picked up a plant from our local nursery for free because it looks dead. It pretty much looks like a stick stuck in the ground (not just dormant as other grape vines are budding out by now), but the roots look like there might, just might, be some life left. How do I go about reviving this plant? I was thinking of pruning the ends of the "dead stick", soaking it overnight in a mixture of rooting hormone and water, and then repotting it with good soil into a larger pot until I see if it is going to recover or not? What do you all think?

And secondly, I've done a lot of reading on trellis systems for grapes and I'm still a little fuzzy. I'll be growing them on some sort of trellis up the side of our house (there is enough light). So the trellis systems that vineyards use (the one vertical stem and then horizontal top growth) wouldn't work for me. I need a trellis idea that I can put up the side of a house. It seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that grapes need to grow somewhat horizontally . . . how do I reconcile that with a trellis on the side of our house? Any ideas would be great. Any pictures would be even better, as I've found very few in my searches!

Thanks a lot!

Comments (9)