SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Your Favorite Roses

rosecanadian
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what your favorite top 10/20/30, etc. roses are. Quite often this changes every year. Could you state why they're your favorites? And any pictures are a bonus!! I didn't take many pictures this year...so I'll opt out on pictures.

1. Chicago Peace - this has been a favorite of mine for many years. There's no fragrance (or very little). The flowers are so large and colorful and there are so many of them! It's unusual (for me) to have a rose that blooms that much in a container. It's never been transplanted, but just keeps pumping out these gorgeous flowers. It's quite a large rose in breadth which makes it look incongruous in its pot.

2. Night Owl - quite cold hardy in that its winter spot is at the entrance to the garage where it sits uncovered with the garage door left open for a long time during shovelling. It's a stiff climber...so it does well in a pot (hard to put a trellis in a pot). Blooms continuously all summer and even looks great from far away.

3. Buxom Beauty - very fragrant, large blooms with gorgeous coloring. It's a fairly new rose, yet there are always at least 2 roses, and sometimes up to 8. The blooms are very large and full.

4. Grande Dame - Pink petunia coloring. Lots of flowers, and the bush is always so nicely shaped.

5. Pink Peace - love the fruit loops fragrance! The flowers always have the teenies silver edging to the tips of the petals. Lots of large flowers.

6. Peter Mayle - really long lasting flowers that smell incredible! The plant is quite large

7. Memorial Day - fabulous fragrance and lovely color! Lots of blooms with scalloped edges

8. Jubilee Celebration - Intense sharp fragrance with lots and lots of flowers. I cut the canes back after each bloom so that the canes don't droop. Really lovely shape to the rose bush. Has an incredible fragrance even in cool/cold weather.

9. Bishop's Castle - wonderful fragrance and lots of non-stop blooms. Incredible

10. Chandos Beauty - Wonderful fragrance, beautiful flowers...and there are a lot!!

Upcoming potential favorites from new bareroots. Fragrance on both is incredible!

A) Pope John Paul II

B) Souer Emmanuelle

Carol

Comments (93)

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ann - Oh swoon!! All of your roses are so double stuffed and gorgeous! I really have wanted to try Tahitian Sunset...and now doubly so since you say it's superfragrant! Amazing roses!

Carol

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

Ann had enabled me into a Tahitian Sunset too, mine arrived last week. Carol, you enabled me into Acapella, which also arrived a few weeks ago. We'll have to compare notes, our climates are so different.

• Related Discussions

Your favorite rose pic of 2017-One pic only

Q

Comments (123)
    Hello BenT, Ahh, thank you! Yes, i’ll Have to dig out the name tags I have stashed away. I’m terrible for remembering names of plants. I’m a true blonde. Haha. I recognise you from a previous thread. You help me decide on varieties to buy for my next rose border. Thanks for your help! :)
    ...See More

Photos of your favorite rose plant groupings

Q

Comments (62)
    Ohh Kristine all three :). What lovely colors. Those would just really look great with every rose color. My only irises were a gift from a neighbor and they are white with yellow. I would love to have something like those you are getting.
    ...See More

South Carolina, show me your favorite roses!!

Q

Comments (2)
    You might also try going to https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php and scroll down to HMF Members on the left-hand column. Click on that and choose 'Search by Location'.... USA and SC. Everyone listed gardening in that state will appear and you can go to each one and see their garden and roses grown. This might give you a good idea of what does well there. Please note not every member has the same info showing publicly, so you may need to visit a few until you see 'member garden' on their tabs. Hope this helps. P.S. you can join for free and keep a rose list when you get more than one, which I suspect (and hope) you will! : ))
    ...See More

Post some of your favorite Rose of Sharon aka Althea photos!

Q

Comments (4)
    "Ken-adrian Adrian MI" those blossoms were removed from twigs that I rooted and long gone now. Twigs are in terrariums hopefully forming roots....so I can't photograph them again.
    ...See More
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    6 years ago

Ann, I love your collages! When I try to do those, they're a jumbled up mess. Candace is on my list for spring. She looks similar to Augusta Luise to me. Your roses are the big, flouncy type I love.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Everyone's roses are so beautiful. I am particularly fond of all the beautiful Austins. I have a few that used to do so good for me, and I wish I could still count them among my favorites, because I truly enjoyed them when they were at their best!

QUEEN ELIZABETH and FOLKLORE, both pictured in these two photos. BEWITCHED, MISS ALL AMERICAN BEAUTY and MIDAS TOUCH also did really good for me during this time.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

BenT - you'll love Acapella's scent!! It's the most unique rose scent I've ever smelled. Mine (grown in a pot) hasn't been the most floriferous...but it's not bad. Ooooh!!! Lucky you to have gotten Tahitian Sunrise!!

Sara-Ann - the kids are soooo cute!!! Awwww! I've always thought about getting Miss All American Beauty...but I'm just not sure if it would be a very good rose. What do you think of yours for repeat? What is the deep pink rose by your front door - or is that a peony?

Carol

• Ann9BNCalif
    6 years ago

Carol - I hope you try Tahitian Sunset - it's one of my best fragrant HT roses.

BenT- I hope Tahitian Sunset works out for you; she seems to be ok in hot weather but the first year she might be slow to grow. Just be sure to water!

flowersaremusic - Thank you and I hope you do get Candice, she's a great rose!

Sara-Ann - love your roses and your kids are real cuties!

Ann

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Who sells Candace? I'm having a hard time finding her.

Garden, your Irene ford is yummy

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    6 years ago

Thank you so much. The kids are my three oldest grandchildren. These pictures are over 12 years old! My oldest granddaughter is 19, oldest boy is 16 and the younger one is 14. they're good kids IMO!

Carol, I think the Rose you are referring to is Miss All American Beauty, its the one closest to the house. I had two of them and the blooms were always gorgeous, and were very dependable. The fragrance was always light, but I've heard it is sometimes strong.

rosecanadian thanked Sara-Ann Z6B OK
  • Ann9BNCalif
    6 years ago

Kristine - I purchased Candice in 2016 from Ludwig's Nursery in Phoenix, AZ. Ludwig's (a South African nursery) has since left but I believe many of their roses are still sold by the successor company known as Agave Farms. There was some difficulty with purchasing and receiving roses from Agave earlier this year by members on this forum.

Eventually many, but possibly not all people received their roses. It appeared that some forum members have said that once the weather cools, Agave would be shipping roses again and they would be placing orders. I'm not sure where that stands, but you might want to review this Ludwig's thread.

Ann

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ann - if I can get Tahitian Sunset - I sure will! Love to hear that it's one of your favs.

Garden nut - I really love the 2nd picture - looks a lot like MIP!!! Barbara's Pasture Rose is wonderful too. No matter that I say I have enough pinks..I'm still drawn to them.

Sara-Ann - that's what I thought! Oh darn - light fragrance sometimes....hmmm...

Carol

6 years ago

Thank you you Ann. I wondered if I would be ordering from South Africa LOL. I will check out the Agave website

• ebharvey1
    6 years ago

I've been a huge fan of Silver Shadows recently - these little first and second year plants from Chamblees just keep cranking out the blooms...

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ebharvey - that's utterly gorgeous!!!! I looked it up on hmf - and it has a great fragrance too!! Wow!

Carol

• ebharvey1
    6 years ago

it has one of the most unique fragrances I've smelled - a mix of fresh grapefruit and lemongrass, if you can imagine that.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow! That is very unique!! So do you like the fragrance?

Carol

• ebharvey1
    6 years ago

I do, in a bouquet all by themselves - its not a small that blends well with other rose scents though. Goes excellent with lavender, to my nose anyway. My wife adores it - so glad I planted a whole hedge of them right in front of our house - can't imagine how it's going to smell walking out the front door in the morning when the plants mature.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think the coloring will look really ethereal in the early morning...well planned. Sure wish I could smell it.

Carol

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

Kristine, lilyfinch and mossy and others that I haven't seen, or seen much of, before, (sorry, I can't remember now), your photos have caused me to add you all to the list of gardens owned by people on this forum that I would love to visit.

Carol, sorry, I don't feel inspired to list my favourite roses - possibly because of comparisons to what I see here!

6 years ago

Titian, please never feel like you shouldn't post pictures. You have so much to share with us. This forum is all about being being able to share and encourage each other. Sometimes we have moments of triumph and sometimes we are just trying to compete with Mother's nature.

We post a picture of a beautiful rose and sitting right next to it is just a dud. You are only seeing the most beautiful ones posted and that's pretty typical . We want to showcase what it is working and certainly not what is not working.

So please feel free to share we love to hear from you. I feel like we are all kind of a crazy obsessed family and each member is so important to the overall group.

kris

• fragrancenutter
    6 years ago

In early Spring MIP is my favourite as she covers my wall with flowers nonstop for 3 months. Fragrance is also excellent. She performs really well in a position with only 4 hours of morning sun a day when most other roses would have struggled.

As the weather warms up there will be many other favourites.

Sonia Rykiel has excellent production and fragrance.

Barbra Streisand with her amazing large flushes on long straight stems and a fragrance which is definitely one of my favourites.

Ebb Tide, gorgeous colour and super strong rose fragrance. This is a Rose I keep diving my nose into.

Evelyn, my favourite DA rose. Excellent production, drop dead gorgeous huge blooms that last a very long time in the vase.

Augusta Luise with fragrant flowers that look perfect both half open and fully open. Beautiful dense bush with dark green leaves.

Double Delight. One of my old favourites. Always beautiful and fragrant even in mid summer heat. Love the colour and lychee fragrance. Opens slowly in the vase maintaining beautiful shape for a long time.

PJP II, the most productive and beautiful white rose I have ever grown. Also beautifully fragrant when weather is cooler.

Firefighter is my favourite red rose which is highly productive with long stems. Flowers open slowly in the vase and has one of my favourite Rose fragrances.

Memorial Day, my favourite pink HT with very fragrant flowers that are produced in large numbers on long thornless stems so easy to work with as a cut flower!

6 years ago

Wowza!! You have so many gorgeous roses. Hard to picka favorite. Seeing your Ebb Tide gets me excited for mine to arrive. I also have a band new Memorial Day thanks to seeing your pictures.

you are a great enabler

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

Wow, Fragrancenutter, those pictures are just amazing, you are an inspiration for so many. Love the PJP arrangement, and the bush shots of DD and Ebb Tide...don't think I've seen those before, but every picture is spectacular.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    6 years ago

Yes wow fragrancenutter!

Everyones pics are very nice! Great thread!

6 years ago

Your pictures of DD make me want to order another one. Mine never had a great rebloom. But, the blooms it did produce were so pretty and fragrant .

• garden nut z9b
    6 years ago

I figure Irene ford is a hybrid perpetual or bourbon close to mip. The blooms tend to look more like the first picture most of the time.

• Ann9BNCalif
    6 years ago

garden nut - I love your Copperopolis! It never seems to be in bloom at the Sacramento Historic Cemetery when I’ve visited. Perhaps I keep missing the occasional flushes.

Ann

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Titian - if you noticed :) I didn't post pictures...you can just post a list if you want. :) We're all friends here. :) I would love to see your pics though. :)

Fragrancenutter - I may have one or two roses that can compete with the least productive of yours...wowza!! Glorious roses!! I especially love your Augusta Luise and Evelyn. My Evelyn hates me. LOL

Carol

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Titian, my garden as a whole is a disaster, what with midge, defoliating BS, the squirrels, chipmunks, sawfly, deer, opossum .... you name it, but lately I'm getting a few lovely blooms. I don't feel comfortable showing the dilapidated setting, but the roses are the stars! My plants themselves haven't been looking as good as they could, so I focus on the bloom. I could never get tired of seeing your setting, EVER, so feel free. : )

I also misunderstood the title of this post. I thought it was BEST rose, not FAVORITE. : (, although those seem to overlap for me. Given that, however, I'd like to add a few more. ; )

Please click to see the full & enlarged picture!

Molineux,

Parade

and Maggie

to the list. They've given consistently gorgeous bloom in pots all summer. Honorable mention should go to Sugar Moon which I transplanted to a pot to allow her to regrow. She BSs, but the blooms are worth it.

I'll post pics in a bit.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, pics please! :)
    My roses weren't the best this year either. We're at the end of the season, so hope springs eternal for next year! :) But vaporvac - sheesh you've had a lot to contend with.

CArol

• vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    6 years ago

Oh my goodness, as I'm scrolling down I can't help but be in awe with every single of your beautiful roses. Absolutely gorgeous.

My favorite still remains Marchesa Boccella though Madame Isaac Pereire just this summer got planted in my garden and already won my heart.

Marchesa Boccella this year

The first ever bloom of Mme Isaac Pereire in my garden. I look forward to this beauty

6 years ago

Vesfl, your photos resonated with me. I'm beginning to appreciate the beauty of Marchesa Boccella, although just her name is almost enough to satisfy one's love of beautiful things. My two closely planted bushes showed me what she can do this year, their 2nd year from own root bands. I didn't expect her to be so free flowering.

I planted a 3 gal. Mme IP this year, and her first bloom was more than I had hope for, also, and she just kept on producing more and more. Both are lovely roses, one being delicate and the other quite bold.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

vesfl - gorgeous roses!!! Marchesa Boccella has so many flowers on it ... and they're all gorgeous!!! My oh my!! And MIP also has such a beautiful shape to the flower! There's something special about OGRs...

Carol

6 years ago

Carol, Marchesa is a blooming machine! And very low maintenance to boot.

flowersaremusic, hope you'll share photos of your MIP next year. The same age as mine so it would be wonderful to see how they are both doing. Mine was a 2 gal. rose. I bought her for the scent and indeed it's true to its reputation, but when she started to bloom I was overwhelmed with her color and flower form... didn't expect it at all.

6 years ago

vesfl, I would love to share photos of MIP, but that color is so hard for my iPhone to capture. I can't get a decent pic of her or several other roses in that color range. They end up looking neon and when I use filters to tone them down, they look too doctored. Do you use a real camera or a phone camera?

6 years ago

Flowersaremusic, I use iPhone camera as well but completely agree with you about photos not doing justice to the color of MIP. This is one of rare photos that *nearly* captures the right color. It's more magenta in the actual light. I also find it difficult to capture deep crimson colors so instead enjoy looking at other people's photos and all of them are just stunning on this thread. Carol, thank you for starting it.

6 years ago

Whoa, MIP, I need that rose

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

Thankyou for the kind words kris, Carol and vaporvac. I have a problem listing my favourites too, as many are ones that haven't done well for me.

Of the ones that are doing OK,

Anna Olivier, this one planted just over a year ago, pretty shaped bush, and generous bloomer, the colour is much more apricot than shown here

And two new ones that I'm happy with...

Mrs BR Cant

and Mme Lombard

The colours are much nicer in reality. My camera is pretty rubbish.

And Titian

6 years ago

Whoa, titian is a cool color

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

I added some pics above.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

kris, that's the nearest I've managed to get to the actual colour of Titian. That photo looks slightly purple to me though, and it doesn't have any purple. The colour is extraordinary, and difficult to describe. Pinky red is all I can come up with, and in no way is it a shocking pink. It sure hits you in the eye!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Titian - I didn't know there was a rose named after your "call name." I love, love, love the color!! Mrs. BR Cant is my favorite of yours...I especially love the movement of the petals. I looked up your Anna Olivier to see if it was a tea...and it is. Lovely color.

Is the rock fence in the back one that you made? It's made a lovely spot for your roses. :)

I love your roses!! Thank you sooooo much for posting photos. :)

Carol

6 years ago

Boy, sometimes it is so hard to capture true color.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

Trish, I'm so glad you posted some of your lovely rose photos. I love Titian, and that it is growing in front of your balustrade. They all look healthy to me, and I hope that continues. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

Hi Carol, I didn't build any rock walls, just painted the balustrades, and yes, I did paint that bit you can see in the photo.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Titian - oh...I didn't mean the bottom picture...I meant the top one. So that isn't a rock wall in the first pic??? Looks great at any rate...well done!

Carol

• TheOutrider-PA zone 6b
    6 years ago

Many of my roses were purchased this year (and the majority this fall) so it's far too early to speak to them at this point so my favorites will likely change by next year haha

My top 3 favorites this year:

Star of the Nile: Definitely isn't my favorite for disease resistance (BS has been an issue) but I'm OBSESSED with the fragrance of this rose. Absolutely beautiful, sizeable flowers with lots of petals and has bloomed almost continuously from spring to fall.

Chrysler Imperial: Once again, amazingly strong fragrance. Has been quite healthy and haven't had issues with disease. The flowers stay a true red for me. The only fault I can find with it is that it's not very vigorous (possibly because I keep it in a pot)

Desiree: This one is fairly new but so far it's been disease resistant for me. The color and form of this rose makes me SWOON. I love the yellow at the base of its petals--reminds me of Tiffany without the BS issues. It has pumped out quite a few blooms for me for being so young and the fragrance is so sweet.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh!!! I am so envious!! :) I've wanted Star of the Nile for such a long time!! I really wish I could smell it!! Swoon!!!

Desiree looks very similar to Just Joey. I was thinking of getting Chrysler Imperial...glad you mentioned its lack of vigor. I'll pass on it.

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My favorite roses in zone 5a (-20 below zero in winter) and alkaline clay. 11th year own root Christopher Marlowe. Too bad Roses Unlimited no longer sell this.

11th-year own-root Radio Times. Roses Unlimited also stops selling this. Very thorny.

Annie L. McDowell bred by Kim Rupert (Roseseek). One bloom perfumes the entire room. Survives three zone 5a winters so far. Smells like lilac/musk.

Sweet Mademoiselle. Shade-tolerant, giving 40 blooms in 4 hrs. of morning sun late fall.

Dee-lish smells like strawberry-guava-rose. Fast repeat as 7-year own-root.

Sonia Rykiel (left) and Evelyn (10-year own-root) both like alkaline clay.

W.S. 2000 as 11-year-own root (intense violet-rose scent), and The Dark Lady (right, 7-year-own-root) with wafting old-rose scent. Roses Unlimited won't be selling Austin roses, so I really treasure these own-roots bought from RU.

CPM is my most shade-tolerant rose, giving 60+ blooms in partial shade as 10th-year-own-root.

Peter Mayle is also shade-tolerant, blooms well as 4th-year own-root, with largest blooms. Very disease resistant in my no-spray garden:

Comte de Chambord as 10th-year own-root, 3 flushes a year in partial shade:

Below Duchess de Rohan (almost thornless) & best scent among my 134 own-root roses, very healthy 10th-year own-root, blooms well in 4 hours of sun:

Carding Mill as 9th-year own root, best looking & compact bush:

7th year own-root Munstead wood prefers alkaline pH, I constantly have to lime to offset acidic rain:

rosecanadian thanked strawchicago z5
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oooh!!! Your Christopher Marlowe is SUCH a pretty rose!!! That color!!! Wow! Your ALM blew me away...all of your roses are exceptional...but I love your ALL the best!!! My favorite of your pictures is the one below ALM!!! Oh my, Teresa!!! SWOON!! And thanks so much for reviving this thread!