SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

My Flooding Update (long)

Cherryfizz
6 years ago

Things are moving along after the flooding we had from torrential rains August 30. I lost my washer, dryer, freezer, rented hot water tank and furnace in the flood. I called my insurance company to see if I was still covered for flood insurance because a week or 2 earlier my broker called and said because the new company that took over my insurance might get rid of my flood insurance if I didn't have a back up valve in my basement. I said I had one but it was an older model from when the house was built in 1948. So when I called to see if I was still covered I was told I was but if I submitted a claim and because this would be my 3rd since 2005 or 2007 most likely my insurance would be cancelled. I still have an open claim to have my ceilings replaced from the water damage from last years torrential rain.

Once I found out my furnace was toast I called to put in a claim anyway. If they cancel my insurance so be it, since I live in a flood prone area I was going to end up not having flood insurance anyway. So I submitted the claim and the adjuster called me back a few days later saying she didn't need any receipts or pictures and waived my deductible and said she was just going to cut me the $10,000 cheque because I did have that amount of flood insurance and my claim was just a drop in the bucket from what others were claiming.

My cousin is one of the owners of a heating and cooling company and messaged me to cancel where I rented my hot water tank from and he would give me the same quarterly payments, install the water tank the next day or I would have had to wait longer for the other company and give me 3 months free rental plus a $200 gift card. I went with that. He also gave me a discounted price for a new Armstrong furnace that was installed 2 days later. I was lucky to get such fast service because over 6000 homes flooded and all workers and trades people are busy.

In all the times my basement has flooded I have never seen this much water so my appliances never had water damage because they are up on the top of the sloped floor of my basement. This time my washing machine floated the water level was so high. So I decided I was going to put a full size stack able washer and dryer set in my kitchen where my computer table is next to the fridge. It will fit perfect because the plumbing would be right below. So my cousin and I went to look at washers and dryers. I settled on an LG set-5.2 cubic foot front loader washer and 7.4 cubic foot dryer but because everything is back ordered because of the flooding and not a lot of stock out there I have to wait until October 20 to have it delivered. I still have to have someone come in to put plumbing in and put in a 240v plug. So I am hand washing the clothes I need right now.

13 percent tax on everything sure does eat up the money when buying large items but that is what the insurance money is for. I am not going to replace the freezer because I wasn't using it because there was no grounded outlet down the basement to plug it into.

So my friend Ken was going to disinfect my basement but then he got swamped with people wanting to get things fixed so the day Ken stopped by I wasn't home. I thought I would be able to just bleach the floors myself like I used to do but because I injured my back I tried to do it but gave up. The house just got worse smelling and I was getting a scratchy throat and any fruit I left out on the counter started to get mould on it almost right away so I had to do something to get the clean up underway. I called Good Samaritans Purse that I knew was in Windsor to help flood victims and they were still here. 2 days after I called volunteers were here to power wash my basement. I was sitting on the porch talking to them after they were done and they asked if they could pray for me. I hesitantly said sure and when they started I just started to cry - I do that if I go to church too. I don't know why I get so emotional but I did. Later on in the afternoon 2 people from Billy Graham's ministry showed up at my door to talk to me. One was a chaplain. I listened to them but when they wanted me to read a passage of prayer out loud. I felt uncomfortable about doing that and said I would read it silently. I was just uncomfortable about them being here but if they were helping me with my basement I would at least listen to them.

Then I got a call yesterday from one of the supervisors for a follow up and he said one of the workers noticed there was a door to another room in my basement and when he opened it he encountered lots of spider webs and mouldy wood and he asked if they could come and clean it out. I realized he was talking about the coal bin under the front porch. I don't ever open that door, I had a traumatic experience of being locked in there by my brother when I was a child and when I came out I was covered in spiders and webs and my older brother had to use a stick to get them off of me. Many people have come into this house and wanted to open that door and I would never let them. I really didn't know what was in there but my brother said when we got rid of the coal stoker in 1964 my Dad took out some of the kitchen cupboards to have the kitchen fixed up and he put them in that room and never put them back up in the kitchen. So 4 guys came today to clean out the room. I just asked them to make sure none of the 8 legged creatures got out into the rest of the basement. He assured my he would get them all into the shop vac. After they were done one of the guys showed me a before and after picture and wanted to know if I wanted the door taken off because it might make me more comfortable about that room now that it was cleaned out. haha I was terrified of that room or having anyone open that door in my presence. They decided to keep the door on to keep out any cold air that might come in through the coal bin outside metal door.

I am so grateful for this group and their volunteers and I told the guys that. One guy said we aren't done with you yet. They are going to come back and spray the basement with disinfectant. I am going to have a nice clean un scary basement now and I won't have any reason to go down there once my washer and dryer are installed in the kitchen. I just hope I made the right decision of having them in the kitchen. With the left over money I have enough to buy a smaller drop leaf kitchen table that will fit better than my huge round cherry wood table that is in my kitchen now.

There are a lot of good caring helpful people in this world.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County