SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennavanowsc

Update on my friend with cancer (sorry.. long)

JennaVaNowSC
12 years ago

I posted earlier about my dear friend Donna, and her cancer diagnosis, wondering how to help her. We have been over to see her a couple times. She finally got in to see an oncologist. The news was not good. Doctors are saying that the cancer is in her spleen, liver, retroperitineum, lungs and probably cervix (she is seeing a Gyn Oncologist tomorrow). Yesterday she told us that it is stage IV, Inoperable, and because the doctors cannot determine where the cancer originated, they cannot treat with chemotherapy either. I did not know this, that chemotherapy is cancer-specific, which means they do not know which therapy to use.

Yesterday, we took her the faux fur throw I bought (gave up on finding the shawl after 7 stores), some soup, rice pudding and a journal. Her husband had called and said, come now, she is having an okay day, pain-wise.She looked bad, so thin and drawn and weak. (I did not tell her that).

She loved the throw, so thank you all for suggesting it . :) We didnt visit long, and tried to keep the conversation light. She talked freely about her prognosis,, saying she has 'had a wonderful life, and is ready'.

It sounds like she has given up, and does not want to fight. I am hoping we can visit when she is up to it, and still praying for her. I don't know what else to do. I guess there is nothing. How do you tell someone to FIGHT, when they think it is too late?

Thank you all, again, for listening and advising.IT means so much.

Comments (35)