SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bungaloonie

Help! Flooring guy chopped all our planks into three foot lengths

bungaloonie
6 years ago

I purchased gorgeous old growth white oak planks from a demolished 1920's bungalow to lay down in the extension of our 1920's bungalow. It matched our original floor beautifully. It had never been sanded, it was from a reputable architectural salvage company, and there were tons of long, magnificent pieces. Some were over 12 feet long.
Our contractor was equally excited at the quality of this rare find. HOWEVER, his flooring subcontractor took it upon himself to "make it better" by cutting all the lengths to two and three feet! He tried to tell me it made a "brick" pattern!
I have never in my life heard of such a thing! The contractor was not present while this happened, and I was in the front of the house the whole time. No one came to me until the damage was done.
I'm sick just looking at all of those old wood pieces, chopped to two and three feet! I guess the only way to sort of fix it is to make the contractor buy long pieces (new, won't look the same, no tiger grain, nothing), and put a bunch of the new ones in.
So, I have two questions:
1) Anyone in the SOCAL area know where I can buy 1920's or 30's white oak that has tongue and groove in tact and never been sanded?
2) I have to know, is cutting long flooring into stubby pieces actually a THING? If so, who does that and why?
I feel like a crime against wood has been committed :(

Comments (12)