SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Giving excess cooking utensils to co-worker's student son

Lars/J. Robert Scott
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

A co-worker that I like very much has a son who is a student at UC Santa Barbara, and he likes to cook, but he has almost no cooking equipment, and his mother barely cooks at all, and so she does not have that much either. In fact, she is giving him the old KA mixer that I had given to her when I replaced it with a new one - I just wanted a red mixer with a glass bowl - the old one was fine.

Anyway, he will be coming over Friday morning (I'm off on Fridays), and I told his mother that he can have a lot of what I have stored in the garage that I have been intending to give to charity. Her son's father is from France, and he is a fastidious cook, and the son has been getting recipes from me to impress his father! I even made a YouTube video for him to show him how to stretch pizza dough. Evidently, I am even more fastidious than the father, and I think he is getting a bit competitive with me, although I am not directly involved. I taught the son how to make lasagna starting with making the pasta by hand as well as how to make the pizza dough. I think the son likes to one-up the father from time to time.

I am happy to be able to give my old cooking utensils to someone who will appreciate them. My nieces (or other relatives of mine) have no interest in them. At first, I thought it was odd that my friend's son was so interested in me, but then I began to understand that it was a way for him to impress his father. The parents are separated, and the father now lives in Cabo San Lucas with his new wife, who speaks Spanish and French, but not English. The son is fluent in French, of course, which I think is nice.

I hope I'm not getting too O/T, after that airline scandal!

I think the son needs pretty much everything, but I don't know what facilities he has for cooking (I think he is in an apartment) or how much space he has, but if he took the KA mixer, he must be fairly ambitious. I'll probably give him a thumb drive with some of my recipes. I gave one to my niece's husband, but I don't think he's used any of them, although he enjoyed eating what I prepared when they came to visit last December.

This should be a good way for me to clear out a bit of space in my garage and kitchen. I have duplicates of so many things, and I got criticized by one guest at my last party for having too many strainers. I plan to keep those, however - she didn't know what she was talking about.

I'm also going to be a little bit interested in hearing what his father's reaction will be. I think he'll be happy. I'll have to find out where in France he is from. I'll post more details after I make the donations.

Do you have stuff that you need to get rid of that you would donate to a student? I thought you may have had a similar experience. This is my first time donating to a student.

Comments (19)