SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Favorite Lavender Daylilies of the Season

shive
6 years ago

Please post your favorite 3-5 lavender daylilies from this season.

Here are mine.

Carolina Cool Down

Odds and Ends

Beyond the Sea

All Things To All Men

Palace Garden Beauty

Debra

Comments (37)

• lilykate7a
    6 years ago

This will be quick for me as I don't have many lavenders!

Siloam David Kirchoff shows up as a pale lavender.
    This is my Ava Gardner.
    And guess what my all time favorite is!!! Entwined in the Vine. This is last year's favorite picture.
    And yes, I am using it for another of my favorites! This is this year's favorite looks.

Kate

• Related Discussions

Favorite Purple Daylilies of the Season

Q

Comments (39)
    Sherry, I'm the same way. When I get a daylily, I will see what the official color is, but don't necessarily go by that. It is not just a daylily in a different area [like Celeste's purples, for example] but on the official AHS site there will be a photo submitted by the hybridizer along with their description, and they don't match at all.
    ...See More

Favorite Lavenders of the 2019 Season

Q

Comments (73)
    Maryl, is it a desk top? The motherboard can be replaced, though it may need a few other things replaced too in order to be compatible, like the processor and memory. However, they should be able to find a motherboard to match the processor socket; then possibly the memory will match too. it would save you a bundle. A decent inexpensive motherboard can easliy be under 100., often around 80.00. Your hard drive with all your stuff will be able to be used. If you had windows 10, no trouble to reinstall and keep your stuff. As to motherboards, if there is any choice, you want Gigabyte brand. Asus would be second, then MSI. Based on experience and about every web site that rates them this is true. Don't let them talk you out of it. Knowing all this will tell them you know something! Let me know if they give you conflicting info. For example, if they want to replace the processor too, ask and let me know what socket the processor is. If they claim the processor is bad, ask them how they know. They virtually NEVER go bad.
    ...See More

Favorite Lavender Daylilies of 2021

Q

Comments (30)
    BRAD, I guess I shouldn't spoil your anticipation on the seedlings by showing you what that cross gave me.....so I'll show a few other crosses with Spirit of the Dove as parent. It's easy to see her influence in the kids: first year seedling, 'Carmen Renee' x 'Spirit of the Dove' 'Spirit of the Dove' x 'Blue Dolphin' 'Spirit of the Dove' x 'Dream Sequence' sibling seedling 'Spirit of the Dove' x 'Dream Sequence' 'Luna' x 'Spirit of the Dove' This seedling looks exactly like SOTD, the only difference is the bloom is larger, a whopping 9 inches! sibling to the first seedling, 'Carmen Renee' x 'Spirit of the Dove' another seedling 'Spirit of the Dove' x 'Dream Sequence'
    ...See More

Lavender Daylilies of 2022

Q

Comments (36)
    I agree with Brad. You have quite the selection of lavenders. I envy all those people who get lavender not mauve. Don't get me wrong, I like my mauves, but would also like a little variation............ Christopher Hitchens is one that draws my attention. Don't see that working in my garden though. I also like the pattern on Contributing Editor as well as the color. Really, all of them look lovely so hard to single out only a few................Maryl
    ...See More
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    6 years ago

Lavender is one of my least favorite colors so we don't have many in that color range. Some might consider these pink, but I am rather picky about what I call pink.

Glitter Gal was moved last year and rewarded us by doing better.

Gripping Power is rather unusual but not a very good grower for us.

Chartreuse Edgings is an erratic flower. It heard me threatening it with exile and it shaped up and gave us this bloom. I do like the edge and the big green throat.

Now or Never is one of the few from Nicole Devito that has done well for us. Unfortunately, it was set back this season because it was a club plant and we had to split it this spring.

This is a seedling we got from Richard Norris. I love the eye and the triple edge.

Nancy

• daylilybedmaker
    6 years ago

Here are my favorite lavenders from this past year:

Lavender Blue Baby: Great performer. Blooms over a long period of time.

Palace Garden Beauty: Another good performer. Not a very rapid increaser.

Lighter Than Air: Love the appliquéd throat.

SKYHOOKS: Just moved it this summer to a better location.

ROARING FORK: Great plant. Very similar to an old Munson NILE CRANE. I grew both of them and RF bloomed above the foliage so NC left.

David

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

My favorite lavenders!

Lee's Loss had its third season in the garden. It's multiplying nicely but bud count isn't as advertised yet.
    Flutterbye is my favorite lavender so far. It's supposed to be an early bloomer but blooms mid season here.
    Orchid Corsage, a favorite oldie!
    Soft Hearted Mother I was on its second season here. I love this one, a triple colored edge!
    Lavender Stardust had to make the list!

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

Nancy, your seedling looks exactly like my Soft Hearted Mother, check out my photo!

Kate, my favorited, Entwined in the Vine! I'm gonna have to find room for that one, I've loved every photo I've seen of it.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Kate: Your Ava Gardner is very pale. I'm assuming it's in full sun. Just by instinct I keep mine in PM shade as pastels usually don't stand much of a chance of holding color in our summer sun. Interesting to see yours and I'm glad you posted it. I like Siloam David Kirchoff. Delicate beauty....Nan: Glitter Gal is about like I like them. The edge sets it off. Same with Chartreuse Edging. Form could be a little more rounded maybe. Wow on the Richard Norris Seedling. I'd like to see more of that one. Because I don't know, can you register someone else's seedling if they don't?.........David: Lighter then Air is my favorite. I too like the pattern......Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

AOL updated with new software today and has made this non computer person's life a mess. The change affected Houzz. If you see double postings (which this was until I changed it) you will know why. Wish me luck........Maryl

• mantis__oh
    6 years ago

I have problems with Palace Garden Beauty often not opening well. Good pic of Lighter Than Air. Carolina Cool Down was nice here this year, but sometimes blooms low. Don't know what to think about Entwined in the Vine, as Debra was disappointed in its bud count and performance.

Dawn of Aquarius --like it a lot

Linda Sierra

Chateau Belair --described as "lilac chiffon) Look at that branching.

Flight of Orchids --bloomed over a long period, but not a bouquet bloomer. Perhaps a bud builder.

Star of India --earlies were generally not good this year (dry and cold)

Spiritual Corridor --not heavily budded, but has been decent the past two years

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    6 years ago

Mantis, we have had trouble with Palace Garden Beauty also. Bob was never a fan of it and when we lined it out to sell, it just dwindled away. Apparently, it doesn't like to be disturbed. We also have Dawn of Aquarius, but haven't had it long enough for it to show us what it can do.

Maryl, Richard sold me this seedling because I saw some breeding potential in it and he wasn't going to register it. Only he could register it unless he gives that right away. I have gotten quite a few seeds from it, so I can't wait to see if I get anything good.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Nan: Ever since I saw that color combination at the daylily show this spring I've been enamored of it. I catch glimpses of it in Mr. Norris's seedling.

COACHES TIME OUT

Note: The base color is a pinky/apricot. Not a dirty beige parchment color. Hope you get some good seedlings out of it.........Maryl

• celeste/NH
    6 years ago

Wow....some really pretty lavenders on here. I found it difficult, almost impossible to limit myself to five. Just like purple, lavenders are plentiful in my gardens and I seem to love them all.

SPIRIT OF THE DOVE

This one bloomed for over 8 weeks this year.

SWALLOWTAIL KITE

SKY OVER SCHUYLER

LAVENDER HEARTTHROB

MYSTERY BEING WRITTEN

I have to list my Honorable Mentions: Blessed Art Thou, Irving Schulman, Spiritual Corridor, John Karl Seager, Carmen Renee, Entrapment, Inquire Within, Berma Abercrombie, Orchid Corsage, Windham Tropical Waters and Loch Lomond Lilac.

• lilykate7a
    6 years ago

There really are some pretty lavenders on here. I actually have some of these but forgot about them. Linda Sierra was moved last year and pouted this year with horrible blooms. Berma Abercrombie was most likely volerized. I think Irving Schulman is in the jungle bed. Sad stories. And I totally forgot about Frank's Star of Bethlehem. He blooms on low scapes anyway but were even more so this year.

Maryl, my Ava Gardner is indeed in full sun. At first, when I first ordered it, I thought they had sent me the wrong plant. Then I received it as a bonus from another garden so now have two clumps and they are the same so I suppose the sun does make a difference. Another example of placement and sun making a difference, maybe? Entwined in the Vine is a few lilies down the row from Ava and also in full sun. I have no problems with bud count or garden performance. Perhaps another difference in climate? I am about four hours south of Debra.

Kate

• shive
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mantis - I think my comments about Entwined in the Vine have been misunderstood. I am not disappointed in it. Because I lost my first plant that was growing in a pot, and replaced it only two seasons ago, I don't have a large clump like Kate. The cultivar is only registered as having 15 buds per scape. I get between 7 to 11. Mine gets about 5 hours of sun a day. I purposely planted it in a place with afternoon shade for hybridizing purposes. I've tried to set seeds on it each year, which, by the way, have always aborted before harvest. Some plants like Entwined in the Vine don't take kindly to that kind of abuse in hot summers. They respond by either having low bud counts the next year, or by not blooming on those fans where seed was set. If you're not hybridizing with Entwined in the Vine in my heat, I doubt that you would have the same issues. I did check the fan count on Entwined in the Vine this past week, and it's up to six or seven fans now. So it seems to at least double in size each year. I do love the blooms, which why I try so hard to cross it each year. The only reason I didn't post it with the lavenders is because I didn't get many good photos of is this year, and I planned to put it in my top five patterned eyes instead.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    6 years ago

Debra, I am glad to read your assessment of Entwined. It has always performed so well for me. Perhaps I should have saved it for patterned eyes as well but it is, after all, my favorite lavender too!!! I do look forward to seeing your photos of it. I wish you could set seeds on it. I would love to see some of those offspring!

Kate

• AaronK79
    6 years ago

Ra Hansen

Newberry Touch

• Brad KY 6b
    6 years ago

Wonderful Lavenders. It's hard to pick favorites among all these, but I'd say Celeste's Spirit of the Dove is always eye-catching for me. Carolina Cool Down is also a beauty, as is Ra Hansen.

I'm like Celeste--I've as many lavenders as purples, and it is so hard to pick, but here goes:

Carmen Renee, my very favorite and an awesome bloomer.

Noid

Fiordiligi

Seedling Fiordiligi x Siloam Amazing Grace

Metaphor

Runners-up would include Lavender Dew, Flutterbye, Tune the Harp, & Franklin Edward League.

• avedon_gw
    6 years ago

Berma Abercrombie--my number one favorite lavender

Here's the clump.

Turkish Turban--listed as a lavender-orchid blend

Ada May Musick--pink-lavender blend

Isabel's Spider

Moonlight Orchid

Stardust Heiress

I probably have more, but will stop with these.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Celeste: your purples and lavenders are just so beautiful in your climate. I can see why you have so many..... Brad: Since I like them rounded your Fiordiligi gets the nod in my book. Is that someone's last name I wonder? Can you pronounce it?......Akoop: I like that Newberry Touch. Nice arrangement of colors.....Avedon: Berma Abercrombie has a very nice clump going on for you, I can see why you like it so much....Someone Mentioned the color Orchid as falling into the Lavender group. I had two orchids last year, but one didn't bloom this year and the other died over the freaky up and down winter we had. But I do love orchid too.............Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    6 years ago

Maryl, No I have no idea how to pronounce Fiordiligi! Perhaps like Fjord from Iceland? Part of the reason I chose it and Siloam Amazing Grace for a cross is they are both rounded. Since my seedling-which I like a lot-is not rounded, I crossed the 2 of them again this year to see what happens.

• shive
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love all these lavenders. Lavenders and pinks work the same for me. I don't think I've ever seen a daylily in those color ranges that I didn't like.

Kate - Even though I can't get Entwined in the Vine to get a pod to harvest, I do have several seedlings just planted where it's the pollen parent. The pollen is very strong!

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Debra: I still remember your English Lavender. Do you still have it? Such a real beauty it was.............Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maryl - English Lavender is still one fan that didn't bloom again this year. I moved it, but it got covered with vines. So it's still a very tiny fan. It's amazing how fast and thick morning vines can grow when you're away for several weeks.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

I tried for years to find a rust free source for English Lavender, but the few places I found it always had it listed as "display".. From experience, I've come to believe that if a daylily has that designation year after year, it means that it's not going to be a vigorous daylily. English Lavender was, as you notice, memorable to me. I know how hard it has been on you this year though and that daylily blooms were the least of your problems, but I hope that next year it will be much better for you.........Maryl

• DebbieON zn4-5
    6 years ago

Alexa Kathryn

Diviners Handbook

Heartbeat of Heaven

Regency Heights

Spacecoast Cool Deal

• Brad KY 6b
    6 years ago

Debbie, I love Heartbeat of Heaven and Regency Heights! The others a good too!

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Debbie - Diviner's Handbook looks like a great one. How does it perform for you?

Debra

• DebbieON zn4-5
    6 years ago

Brad - Heartbeat of Heaven is new here, has gone through one winter, Regency Heights has been here many years, a real good one.

Debra - Diviners Handbook is excellent, it is hardy, clumped up quickly, I have had it about five years. It was a single fan. It also has been moved once, in its third year. Sometimes the blooms did not open all the way initially. I gave a friend a single fan about three years ago and his clump is now larger than mine. His flowers have always opened just fine. When people visit him, they want Diviners Handbook, it is very showy in a clump, high bud count (see photo). Mine is still in quite a bit of shade, but opens fine now with maturity, my friend's plant is in open sun on a large hill. Almost everything I give him looks better there, lol.

I live in the middle of a forest basically, and have alot of shade. My friend lives in open fields of farmland on top of a large hill. It makes a huge difference with alot of daylilies. I was told some time ago that Curt Hanson daylilies need the sun. It does appear to be the case with some of them.

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

I love lavender colored daylilies but the color is so tricky to get when the weather is not right. I am really jealous of your lavender colored daylilies, Celeste and DebbieON. Yours are what I really wish my lavender colored daylilies would be esp. the shade of SPIRIT OF THE DOVE and Heartbeat of Heaven.

Here's Daisy (Thanks Brad) that looked the most lavender of all.

Ring the Bells of Heaven

• Brad KY 6b
    6 years ago

I'm glad to see Daisy doing well for you, Karen. I gave up on it. It's only had a couple of good years here; probably too hot for it.

• statmam22
    6 years ago

Hoosier_Nan, do you happen to know how much a hybridizer charges for the right to register one of his/her seedlings that he/she won't be registering? I'm sure it can vary, but I'm just trying to get an approximate idea of what it might cost.

• tarheelgirl_7b
    6 years ago

So many beautiful blooms! I have a few lavenders in my garden.

SPINY SEA URCHIN - registered as lavender with gold edge.

LINDA SIERRA

BACKSEAT ROMANCE - registered as a deep lavender.

HEARTBEAT OF HEAVEN

FRIEDA ALLEN JERRELL - registered as pale lavender pink

Lori

• shive
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lori and Karen - You have some gorgeous lavenders. Thanks for posting your photos!

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

I like Frieda Allen Jerrell! THe color is much lavender than pink - very nice.

• Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh
    4 years ago

Beautiful photos but...They all look pink to me. Except for MYSTERY BEING WRITTEN and I googled it and a Plant Data Base showed it and there it also looked pink.

Is it just the photos, or are we talking the pinkish lavenders? since there are no blues in Dayllies? I recently bought Daylilies described as "our favorite puple" and they are as maroon- red as they can be. Nice deep color but not purple.

Please share any advice - in my quest for lavender and purple Daylily?

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sue,

Almost all lavender or purple daylilies have a reddish tint since there is no blue. When looking at a color chart, and I've looked at many, including Crayola crayons!, the lavenders are actually orchid, which is a lavender-red color, and the purples are mostly medium violet-red, expect for the darkest ones. Sorry, no true purples or lavenders. Some are closer than others, but without a blue gene, it's not gonna happen. If I ever name a seedling, I will name correctly, not for popular notions.

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Soil and night temperatures play a role in how "blue" purples look in your garden. With cooler night temps in the 50s and low 60s, many of my purples and lavenders will look more blue. In my regular summer night temps in the 70s, they look more reddish. A lot of the lavenders are pinkish lavender.

Debra