SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

A quick update

I am sorry I have not been doing updates. I have been pretty sick and very busy with phone calls with insurance companies and dealing with the red tape. My stomach has been in a state of constant turmoil and I have been hurting quite a bit. I have been trying to walk and get around too much with out using a scooter. That is going to change soon!

I have decided on the scooter to get with the help y'all have given me! And I found it locally so should be able to get it hopefully this week. I will post a picture. It is a nice substantial one similar to my old one but this one can break down into 5 parts for transportation should we need to do that, like put it in the rv. We saved my carrier from my Hummer to put on what ever vehicle we get. I have been using the wheelchair that was here but I will be getting myself a nice new light weight one. This one here weighs a ton.

We got information about the rv and both vehicles, they were all totalled and they are being very generous with the replacement value. We have been online rv shopping for the Floorplan we prefer that has adequate area for me to get around easily. I have a favorite. There are some good sales on now for flood victims.

The wonderful people from the Southern Baptist Convention that helped my husband clean out the house did a great job so we definitely want to give that organization a big shout out! They deserve donations they are actually on the ground helping the real people who need help!

We still have not received notification from the flood insurance as to how much we will be getting to redo the house. We are again waiting for the people at Bank of America to send the proof that everything was completed in last year's flood. They are once again being difficult to work with and not responding. They could have faxed the forms over immediately but refused to and said they would mail them. It's been a week and still no mail from them. It's absurd that our life is on hold because they are a**holes! Our insurance adjuster must have the forms before initiating our claim! Our neighbors have already received their advance checks and they are getting started on the work. I wish someone somewhere with the power to make changes would smack down these mortgage companies that are doing this crap to us. It's so unfair. I will never ever do business with bank of America again. They are a disgrace and very rude.

We may possibly sell the house to investors. We would not make any money but we would be done with it and bank of America! That would allow us to just walk away from it and move on with our lives. We have to balance what our lives and sanity are worth against the money from the house. We don't want to live there anymore.

That's about it for now. My sister is in the hospital with congestive heart disease, please send her your thoughts and prayers.

Here's the scooter I found.

It comes in red or blue.

Comments (40)

• 6 years ago

Good news on the vehicles and scooter! I'm betting the necessary papers will be arriving in the mail tomorrow. At least I'm hoping for you! Your stomach issues would surely benefit to get your hands on them. So sorry about your sister. I'll keep her in my prayers.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • Related Discussions

A Quick Update

Q

Comments (13)
    Kath, so sorry to hear your news. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family at this trying time. It is never easy to see a loved one suffer. May G*O*D give you the strength to cope and get through this, and peace and comfort for your Dad. We are all here for you. (((HUGS))) Candy
    ...See More

Quick Update ~ Ken

Q

Comments (26)
    My dad, in his eighties, had a bad stroke, eventually going to hospice. We expected him to pass away, but he improved, went home and continued to improve. That was almost two years ago and he is still doing okay. I know Ken is in good hands, and it helps so much that you are by his side. I wish the very best for you both!
    ...See More

A quick update

Q

Comments (27)
    I'm so happy for you and your family. Things are moving along in the right direction. Good for you for discovering your inner and outer strengths. You are a living example of that Eleanor Roosevelt quote: A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong it is until it's in hot water. Dont forget to take care of yourself. The worst of it may have passed but you still need to nurture you.
    ...See More

Just a quick update on me....

Q

Comments (42)
    Thank you all! I did have a lot of help along the way. First of all, my amazing DH. He really stepped up to the plate. My 2 children came for the garage sale weekend, carried everything out to the driveway and then stood there(it was about 90 degrees that day) in the sun all day. We've been snowbirding to Orange County, CA since 2016. I cry when we leave and count the days till we return. When my DH finally said "it's time to sell in PA and move", I wasn't letting anything stand in the way(pun intended!). I'm really not amazing or any of the other nice things you all attributed to me. Ask anyone who knows me... I'm just really stubborn. When there is a will, there is a way.
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

I am so impressed with the Southern Baptist Convention for all they have done (and I am not Baptist- I am RC). I hope you feel better soon. You are one of the angels you speak of, Raven.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • 6 years ago

I also no longer deal with Bank of America. They really are jerks. I'm using a small regional bank now and couldn't be happier. I really like the scooter!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked cooper8828
  • 6 years ago

I want to levy a curse on BoA, but not until you are clear of them! Hard to resist, but you never know where the evil you call will actually land!

Also a hard call about selling out for less than you might recoup if you did minimal work to the house and found a private buyer. Huge difference?

I would be inclined to sell to the sharks and skip additional mental and physical strain. Is there a time limit on selling out? Are these investors sure payers? Entire 'bird' in the hand immediately, and you're out?

You'll have some relief with the new scooter. Can you give yourself "Office Hours" and "Time Off" while you deal with this mess?

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked chisue
  • 6 years ago

I agree about BoA, as well as other big banks. They treat people terribly. I had to deal with BoA regarding my Mom's account and with Wells-Fargo with my mortgage. Don't have to deal with either of them now and plan to never work with a big bank again. If you are eligible, I encourage you to join Navy Federal Credit Union. They are wonderful and treat their customers with care and respect. Am so glad y'all are moving to another location, Raven. You don't need any more travesty in your life, nor does your husband.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Best wishes for a speedy and personally tolerable path to better days, better health and moving on. No one should have to deal with two such disasters in a short period of time.

Banks, like insurance companies, live by rigid rules and procedures. Individual employees, even those at a reasonably high managerial level, have no leeway nor opportunity to apply common sense when the rules lead to illogical or unnecessary results. I have accounts with several banks and also with a credit union and I'd toss any of them overboard if I could find a better solution. The people at the credit union are nice but are like country bumpkins living in a world several decades ago, not in a good way. My credit card account with them has no transaction download capability - say what?

Whenever I have something out of the ordinary to try to accomplish with any financial-related entity, it's usually a hold my temper and hold my nose experience and I hope for the best. I don't always get done what's needed. So don't feel like you're being picked on or that B of A is all that different from others, I don't think that's the case. Maybe it's just a inept department that's overwhelmed with the flood of customers facing disaster recovery issues.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • 6 years ago

That scooter will be a great help for you. I'm glad the carrier was savageable to be used on the next vehicle you get. I hope you can get a new RV soon and have a place to call home. You sure don't need all the frustration dealing with Bank of America "again". Praying for any kind of buy-out so you can get free of that house and find yourself a new, safe location. Do you know of an address where a check could be sent to the Southern Baptist Convention? I'd like to do that and also send you a check if you will please email with an address. Maretich@Comcast.net

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked lindaohnowga
  • 6 years ago

We asked for the address to send donations to the Southern Baptist convention so we could pay back a little. They are amazing, all retired people working so hard. They are now helping my neighbors.

The address for donations is:

Southern Baptists of Texas Convention

Disaster Relief

PO Box 1988

Grapevine, TX 76099-1988

Online donations can be made at:

SB texas. com

• 6 years ago

Thank you for the update. Have been wondering how you were.Hang in there. they won't make it easy , but YOU shall win in the end.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked greenshoekitty
  • 6 years ago

Glad to hear back from you. Sorry about Bank of America... they're way too large to care about the "little people". I've heard about other issues with them (from first hand friends, not just from the internet.) I am glad you are aiming to move and get away from there to someplace without flooding, and preferably without the insurance and banking nightmares. That scooter looks awesome!

Hang in there. If you read my post in another thread... my brother did fine in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. He lost some fencing and other minor things, but effectively he's totally fine. You and MarilynC I worry about.

EDIT PS: I see that scooter in bright red. Since there's a choice...

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked artemis_ma
  • 6 years ago

When having trouble with a (large) company, the advice used to be that it was a good idea to call them out on Twitter. Is this still true? Yes, there are rules, but there's absolutely no need to be rude or heartless-sounding when dealing with all the poor people affected. I'm sorry your sister is having a tough time, Raven. I'm glad you found a good scooter.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked sjerin
  • 6 years ago

That's a darn good looking scooter, one you'll enjoy I hope. Better days are a coming Raven, take time to slow down and live for today. I know the pressures of what you're going through, been there. Put on some music twice a day for 20 minutes and relax and listen. It's very easy to do and calms the mind.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Yayagal
  • 6 years ago
    1. Sorry you aren't feeling well and sending good thoughts for your sister. Glad things are moving along and you will be getting a new scooter to get around. You have been through so much. Taking action so you won't have to go through this again is a good idea. Too much loss for you and worry every time there may be possible flooding. Dealing with insurance sure can be a pain and stressful. Wishing you well Raven.
    ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Cherryfizz
  • 6 years ago

Thanks for the update. And wonderful to hear about your plans for the scooter and wheelchair! So happy things are coming together for you on the vehicles too.

I totally agree about BoA. We had one rental house financed thru them for a few years (until we refi'd) and every year they had our insurance screwed up. We always had our insurance company pay the premiums directly when due, but somehow BoA managed to lose the payment within their system. So we would always get a notice & I'd have to go thru the same process every single time with our insurance company having to contact them and tell them they already had the payment. They would tell me I sent it to the 'wrong' routing or some such. Gee, what happens when we send it where YOU told us to send it!?? I have to say though that we had 2 houses financed with Chase at one time and they were awesome to deal with. Now we just use a local bank.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 6 years ago

sjerin, I don't think that's a good idea. Many companies track dealings with customers, rewarding ones that have been fair and giving somewhat less than that to those who haven't been.

Quick personal experience - in the early days of TSA Pre, before I got it permanently through my own action by getting Global Entry, I found myself at a busy airport, the unexpected one-time recipient of that status from the very large airline I was flying with that day (I'd had a frequent flyer account with it for decades but for which I didn't have any premium status that year). Chatting in the very short (by comparison to the regular) line with the guy behind me, I expressed my surprise at having a lucky day. He was an employee of the airline in the IT department and asked "Have you been a longtime customer, have you ever had a beef with us or complained in any way?" I said Yes longtime customer, No to the rest. He replied "Do you sometimes get unrequested upgrades?" I said Yes. He said "we keep track of customer interactions and people who've complained or have been unreasonable either over the phone or in person have their files noted each time and don't get the bennies you get. Keep that in mind, that's probably why you're here".

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • 6 years ago

Thanks Raven for the address for Southern Baptists of Texas Convention. I will send them a donation. And thank you for emailing me.

Prayers going out for your sister.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked lindaohnowga
  • 6 years ago

Love that scooter! What color are you getting? SO GLAD you'll be able to walk away from that house. How could you ever be comfortable there again, every time it rains or blows, you'll be nervous. Start over someplace fresh!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked FlamingO in AR
  • 6 years ago

Thank you for the update! So glad you have found a scooter you like and will be able to get it soon, that will make your life a bit easier , I'm sure!

And I sure don't blame y'all for not wanting to live in that house anymore! ! I do hope you will find something somewhere that you will love just as much, but that will be as safe as a house can be for you! And please take care of yourself! You are under so much stress, there is so much work and worry, don't let it get you down. It will all come together in due time. Keeping you and yours in my prayers, also your sister.

Rusty

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Rusty
  • 6 years ago

Nice to hear some good news from you. Sorry you're not feeling well. Hopefully, that soon passes.

Where are you thinking about living? Will you leave Texas?

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Raven, for all that you have gone through and will continue doing so for a long time, you sound so 'all together' in dealing with it all. I admire you and your strengths. And if I was choosing a scooter, I'd choose the one you picked.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked gadgets
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I'm glad you are open to selling the house and walking away. No one needs the stress of constant, unexpected flooding. So much area in major cities has been paved over, that rain no longer has anywhere to go, and places that were dry for decades are no more.

Try to do a bit of walking. I KNOW it's hard, but it's better for you. And even with a wheelchair and scooter, one must be able to do a bit of walking. The more you do, the easier it gets. I'm assuming that your doctor has not forbidden walking...

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Anglophilia
  • 6 years ago

I hope something happens soon and you can get out from under this stress.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked adellabedella_usa
  • 6 years ago

Raven is your stomach problems related to your medical condition? I am Praying daily that you recover from Harvey physically and emotionally soon. I know this is going to have an impact on you for a long time maybe forever, but I hope it will fade at least a little once you put down roots again. God Bless you and yours.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked mamapinky0
  • 6 years ago

Prayers and blessings to you, raven!...you have been through so much in recent years.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked phoggie
  • 6 years ago

Raven, I'm glad you got your chair, and I hope things start to smooth out for you. I hope if you decide to sell the house, it goes fast and you can get on to relocating in an area that doesn't flood. Having to rebuild and then flood again such a short time later is enough to break the strongest person. Hugs to you and Mr Raven. I know it has been very difficult for him as well.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked marilyn_c
  • 6 years ago

I love the chair in red!

I'm also glad that you and Mr. Raven have made the difficult decision to sell your house. I'm afraid by now, it would just have bad memories for you. Even breaking even is better than nothing, and it might change. There might be a buyer out there who will offer more. Now if the bank can only get their heads out of their butts and do their job!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Jasdip
  • 6 years ago

Marilyn I sent you an email!

Jasdip you are so right about the bank lol I think they are permanently stuck there though.

Thanks!

• 6 years ago

Thanks for the update and the BEST wishes for the future.

Moni

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked OklaMoni
  • 6 years ago

Thank you for your update. I am so sorry for all of your troubles and for the sadness and frustration you are going through. I wish you the very best for the future and I love that awesome red scooter! And BTW my hubs recently went through (not his first) extremely annoying/frustrating issue with BOA. He is talking about changing banks.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Janie
  • 6 years ago

did I miss it -- did you get red or blue? either way, it looks snazzy!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked nickel_kg
  • 6 years ago

I am so glad to hear of the progress that you've made! Fingers crossed that you get the scooter soon. I hope that the tummy troubles go away.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • 6 years ago

Oh yeah we will buy a brand new one from an area here that was not flooded. It would be difficult to try to sell an rv that flooded.

They are supposed to come get ours today. I hope they can get it out of there. All the slides are out so is the awning and the batteries are dead so they don't work to pull them back in. I explained that to them.

My husband's company owner surprised us with a bonus check to help out. Very nice, husband has worked for him for 20 years. Good people.

We found out that all the new electrical wiring that we had done last year must all be replaced and the entire electrical panel must be replaced too. Mucho money! They are trying to run dehumidifiers and dry out fans but they are tripping breakers. Water and electric do not mix well.

• 6 years ago

How wonderful of your hubby's company owner to give you a bonus check. Trying to dry out the house is going be very difficult with the electric problem. Will you actually have to do that if you are just going to sell your place to someone who will just rip it down? Hoping you get that brand new RV soon, along with your new scooter and new wheelchair.

Could you contact the Southern Baptists Convention that helped your hubby and send them to Marilyn's location?

• 6 years ago

That is terrific. Love when people show they care in such meaningful ways.

Raven, are you still thinking about remodeling?

• 6 years ago

You had a Hummer? Dang! I saw an H2 for sale yesterday....rubber necking it. I understood you'd buy an RV and travel for a bit? Is that still the plan?

• 6 years ago

I hope it's the plan Nicole. It depends on if we can get a buyer for the house now or if we have to go ahead and fix it to sell it.

I had a Hummer H3 the small one with only 20,000 miles on it. I really hated to lose it. It got great gas mileage and was a dream to drive. My husband had a brand new Ford f250 truck we pulled the rv with.

They hauled those away. The rv is supposed to go today.

Linda yes I can do that.

Today friends took me to lunch. All of us have lost our homes and vehicles. It was nice to get out together. We are all exhausted and need a little change.

• 6 years ago

I hope they don't try to make you go through with fixing the house up again. That isn't right.

• 6 years ago

Good thought and prayers to you, your husband and your sister.

• 6 years ago

What SUV are you thinking of buying next?

Going out with neighborhood friends sounds pretty nice. You all have so much in common because of circumstances. It would bring you together.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022