SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickk382

1st Timer Here, Need Your Help!

Nick
6 years ago

Hey everyone,

I live in South Boston or how many people here in the city refer to as "Southie" and I really need your help. My girlfriend and I moved into our new place and we have a nice backyard with any area at the very back to grow grass. So last night, I went online to try to get an understanding of what I need, but my impatience of not understanding anything I've read told me to just go to Home Depot and ask the 'master' in the gardening section and go from there.

I have a good record of picking the right guy to go to when going to places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Anyways, go up to an employee by the name of Jake, showed him my picture of the grass area of my backyard and asked him what I needed to buy and what would be my directions.

The Home Depot I went to completely ran out of top soil and Jake asked me if this is something I want to jump on right away. I told him yes, I want to get stuff now, go home, and get to work. He told me there is an alternative and proceeded to point to Scott's Humus and Manure. Based off the picture of the grass I showed, we concluded that 8-10 bags would be good and I grabbed 10 just to be sure. He then continued to walk me to get Scott's Turf Builder Sun and Shade Grass Seed (3.46lb) and I bought one of those. He then walked me to get a spreader and since the 'yard' in my backyard is not big at all, I just got the cheapest one that I can use with my hand. Lastly, he took me to get lime and I couldn't remember exactly which one he had me get but it was a white and lime greenish looking one. Before I headed to the cashier, I grabbed a rake and off to home I went.

Oh and as for the instructions, Jake from Home Depot simply told me to clear out all the leafs and crap with a rake, get a tiller or a shovel and dig out all the grass/weed/whatever roots. Pour out the Scott's Humus and Manure and spread it evenly. Then grab the lime and spread that over evenly, then start spreading seed (no more than half of the bag), and water the area.

Those were the main points that I got from Jake, I forgot the rest, and that's why I am here. I was hoping if the stuff I got from Home Depot are good for me to get grass in my backyard, did I misunderstand Jake or did Jake not know what he was talking about, and I was also hoping if you could elaborate any further on my instructions before I proceed. All I have done so far is rake out the leaves and crap, and I also took out some of the roots with a small shovel until I got tired.

Also, if you could please explain to what to do as if I was a 26 year old who has no idea what the hell he is doing and has never really done anything with lawns/gardening before, that would be awesome.

Thank you in advance, everyone!

I also posted a picture to show you all what I am working with.

Comments (3)