SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_calero

1st timer embarking on a kitchen remodel: Best to call in a designer?

Danielle C.
5 years ago

I know nobody can make the decision FOR me, but I'm really trying to weigh pros and cons of hiring a pro. We just moved in a couple of months ago to our house, a really great eclectic kinda rustic house, and its kitchen is in SORE need of remodeling. It's a combo of the previous owners having not taken care of the place, tried DIYing some stuff (badly), and also just not having taste that meshes with ours. It's more or less functional, but that's about it.

When we moved in, we had to prioritize sprucing up our bathroom, for mostly the same reasons, but really made a mistake in hiring someone whose work was mostly fine, but I ultimately wasn't very happy with the quality. I'm coming away with a lesson learned though, and want to be very careful in who we have fix up the kitchen. But frankly, while I know generally what I want, I'm not super confident in spearheading it and am wondering if I need to just hire a designer that can coordinate the contract work.

It's a small kitchen, we're not changing the footprint, and I have a budget of up to 20K (ideally less). Not the biggest undertaking but I still am daunted by it. But I don't know on average how much these services would cost, or if my budget is going to get eaten up by it. I'm also new to the area and don't know anyone to ask for recommendations. What do you think? What do you think I should be aware of if I opt to hire a designer or if I opt to try to do it all myself and handle hiring contractors?

Comments (38)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I'm not sure your budget allows for a designer. If I were in your position, I would begin learning all that I could about kitchen remodeling. I expect there should be many books on the subject your library. Then I would begin putting some ideas on paper and bring them here for review. There are many talented pros and amateurs who generously share their expertise with the community.

Once I had a firm grip on what I wanted to do and how much it would cost, I would then feel more comfortable in finding a designer to help me put everything together. That way I could use the designer's time efficiently.

• della70
    5 years ago

With a small kitchen redo, I think a certified kitchen designer is the way to go. I had an initial consultation prior to our update, and she charged $60. You set the parameters -- the budget, the layout, what you want to change. It's a good investment in the value of your home to have it done right and within budget.

• Related Discussions

Debating removing 1st floor office for decent mudroom - resale???

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for all of your thoughts. Housefairy - I really like the idea about contacting our realtor. Agreed about the permits as well, we would definitely not move forward without them. The way the house is configured we have a small living room attached to the dining room The living room is just the right size for a piano and couple of chairs, so I'm content to keep that space in order for our piano to not have to be in our family room. Fahrenheit - for our family this would by far be the most functional. And I like your point about office space constantly changing. I've been wondering if the whole office of the main two story hall-way that is in every house around here will soon be out of style. But perhaps that thinking is just self-serving since I'm thinking of removing mine! hcj- my home is notin' special. Just part of a builder track where you have models A,B,C or D to choose from. So I do believe most of the homes in the neighborhood have some sort of 1st floor office space. Realistically, we will probably be here at least 5 years, but most likely more like 10. I don't see my husband changing his job anytime soon and if we stay in this area, we won't move. We have put in a lot of sweat equity already and it might take me a long time to get the energy to start over! (This is the third house we have remodeled in the last 10 years, so I'm beat!) Without a doubt, by taking away the office I would be so thrilled with my mudroom. It would also solve a lot of annoying elements of our home. 1)We could create a front hall way closet, as there is not one now. (silly designed builder homes) 2)We would have a space to store our vacuum on the first floor. 3) We would be able to enter from our garage without tripping over shoes or someone doing laundry. And 4-10) everything that an incredible laundry room would give us. I guess a call to the realtor might be helpful. Of course 10 years from now the market will expect different things...but a good realtor might be able to see how things might change. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts.
    ...See More

Old timer Roll Call- Please read

Q

Comments (138)
    Wow I feel older now.. I guess I am. My preferences say it was Feb. 2004 but I know I too signed up a few times before then and remember when we had to pay as well. I remember starting out reading about roses, and stumbled onto the home forums. From there it was a marathon reading session because we were *thinking* about a bathroom remodel. I remember wanting to adopt Bill Vincent when we actually did it, he was awesome. After that I tackled the second bathroom. There was the deck and backyard remodel, and of course the pet's forum, which I always check in on. More recently it was the huge kitchen-gutting and remodel. A most recent of all was my den, which I haven't even posted any pics of yet. Next will be the master bedroom -- am saving the best for last. My fondest memory was the outpouring of sympathy when Rusty and Mocha both passed away last year. I'm not so sure I'm fond of the MCM trend, but I sure have noticed it. I have graduated from British Colonial to Art Deco however - at least somewhat. I've also noticed the trend shift from chocolate/blue to grey/yellow lately. But I can't give up my chocolate love :)
    ...See More

1st home! help ideas and input needed

Q

Comments (20)
    @denita I think we got the cheapest build offered for our house. most have access to the garage and their layout is slightly different (powder room isnt right behind the kitchen/fridge wall like it is for us) seems like a builder upgrade they chose. we get a lot of snow in the winter and it would be better to have access from the inside. but I don't really know how I could fit a landing there it's a weird configuration being in the kitchen and all? "and all" entails having a wall that seems to be a supporting wall right between the kitchen and the foyer/extra room. I have contacted the city and they do not have the blueprints or plans for my home on record. I have spoken to a few contractors but most of them ask me to have architectural drawings done(3k+ last I checked) @nahomi for decoration, I'm not really sure lol! I'm all over the place really but I like neutral tones and a natural feel. Earthy and comfy zen if that makes any sense. The house is very dark inside not much natural light gets through. The front of the house faces SE but the garage takes most of it and the room on the top does not really give out natural light to the rest of the house. I'm thinking of painting the "big room" - the room above the garage, all white or off white something bright but soft enough and painting the fireplace the same colour. I'd like to change the floors of the big room but I'll wait a bit and then probably do an engineered wood or something of the sorts. I'm thinking that MAYBE i need a designer. i feel I cannot make all these decisions myself!!! my partner has no input besides he trusts my style and decision but I feel slightly overwhelmed O_o'
    ...See More

HELP! Remodeling kitchen (removing a wall) Unsure of the best layout

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you both very much for your responses! Biondanonima, we just have 2 adults and one small child. Mostly it's one cook, because right now we just get in each other's way. I agree that placing range and fridge on the east wall could create a lot of distance - would you consider that helpful for two cooks, or would it just be less efficient for one? Would having range and fridge side by side be awkward/an eyesore? Renan, I very much appreciate the diagram - I had a 2nd company here today to take measurements for a quote, and offer thoughts on design, and we talked about a breakfast bar the way you've illustrated it. It very nice to see it drawn up! It does look functional, and I totally agree with inverting the opening of the side door in that scenario. Curious about the 5'3" space on the northeast corner - were you being generous or would you say that is a firm distance for clearance/capping the end of the counter?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

20k for a kitchen, even a small one isn't huge. Rita is right that the best way to start a renovation is to become knowledgeable. Also, have a complete plan before doing anything. Make a list of what you need and want in a kitchen, take inventory of everything that needs a home in the kitchen, and think honestly about your lifestyle so you can pick the best materials for it.

Consider IKEA if you have one, they're good quality for the price and the people are helpful in planning.

• Susie .
    5 years ago
    I can recommend IKD if you want to use IKEA cabinets. We remodeled a house that was for a rental with IKEA (that we also lived in for a year). IKD did the design for us (and were more knowledgeable than the IKEA kitchen staff). I think I paid $250 for design and my cabinets came in around $5000 for the shaker cabinets. If you want nicer doors, you can do semi handmade. We diy-ed the installation, but hired plumber and electrician to move pipes and bring it up to code. The cabinets are very high quality for the price. Mine included great storage and soft close hinges and drawers.
  • User
    5 years ago

Tight budgets and small spaces are the ones who most need design help. It costs less than mistakes and hiring the wrong people. You can’t afford to NOT hire a KD.

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you can get a kitchen designer for less than 1k, then I would still first become as educated as possible about the process of kitchen design and my particular goals and then, sure hire a KD.

You mention in your question that you do not want to coordinate the trades. I believe that is the Gneral Contractor's job, no the KDs. The KD provides the GC with a plan and the GC works with the trades to accomplish the plan.

• User
    5 years ago

Smaller jobs, like when someone has their cabinets coated, new counters, and a backsplash, are often GC’d by the homeowner, but Project Managed by the KD.

Even on larger jobs, a KD often handles the project management duties, if the customer wants that to happen. It would be best if the design phase wasn’t suddenly severed, leaving the GC to interpret the documents how he sees fit as the easiest route to doing it. And who wants to take off work to be there for every time the major construction milestones happen? The KD can be there for the start of the install, to be sure that the documents are clear. And can be there for the counter templating, not only in home, but in shop, when the layout of the template onto the stone happens. And can be there to discuss the backsplash layout, and any challenges that it has.

Creating the vision is only part of the potential service. Ensuring that the vision comes true is another big part of why a KD can be useful.

5 years ago

I understand your point about how it all works, Sophie. I was just having a hard time understanding how you could get anything done with a 20k budget. Design fees alone can eat that up in my experience.

• FlwrGal
    5 years ago
    Best decision we ever made was to hire an Interior Designer for our kitchen remodel. Everything pulled together perfectly and she kept us from making any costly design mistakes. She was also willing to work with us as DIYers. Finding the right person is invaluable (we interviewed several).
  • acm
    5 years ago

not an interior designer -- you don't want advice on colors and fashion -- a Kitchen Designer, who knows about work priorities, appliance guidelines, and lighting layouts and will save you a ton by catching the details you might overlook... (lots of dilemmas on here about cabinets that waste space or fridges that don't open properly against a wall because a spacer was omitted; also, there might be types of cabinets you didn't even know existed!)

• User
    5 years ago

I have never met a KD who ever made 20K on a single job. Unless it was an upper end whole home build, and she was providing the cabinets and project management both. But that is still a stretch. Margins are not what people think they are on cabinets.

A 20K remodel for a kitchen will not involve new cabinets. That’s just reality. Not even if someone was to DIY every single thing from demo to installing the light switches. That’s bareky room for lower mid products. And no room for labor at all.

A 20K budget will get a “refresher”. Either the cabinets get changed color, or the floors get changed. One or the other. Not both. New counters. New lighting, including under cabinet. New sink and faucet. New backsplash. New wall and trim paint. An inexpensive rug. And done.

5 years ago

My figure was for an ID, so the price I am familiar with had a lot baked into it and was for a large house, small kitchen though. At any rate, I appreciate the explanation of what 20k can get you and what kind of fees you can expect for that kind of work.

• User
    5 years ago

20K? Put your kitchen on hold.

Think long and hard about your needs. Ask friends and neighbors to recommend carpenters, plumbers and electricians. Find out the condition of the flooring, windows, wiring, pipes and duct work.

A small, simple kitchen might not require a kitchen designer, or a general contractor, but only if you take time enough to work out a sensible plan and are ready to show up and take responsibility when needed.

You'd have to squeeze every dollar. Spend on things that can't be easily changed, like flooring and cabinets and counters. Save on things that can be cheaply replaced, like faucets and appliances and lighting.

• Glenda Miller
    5 years ago
    I am three months in on a total house remodel. Phase 1: gutting the main living areas which includes the kitchen. Organize your "must haves" . Then, find a good kitchen designer as fast as you can. I thought I could make decisions on my own. The simplest misstep can affect everything from your wallet to robbing you of that "it's perfect feeling". I am not an expert but there seems to be some significant shifts in design trends. I am stepping back and doing what a good leader would do..... seeking expert counsel and then make an informed desicion. Best wishes.
  • chispa
    5 years ago

And even when you have done all your homework and have a generous budget, you never know what you will find when you open up the walls in a house. In our 18 year old house we found rotted wood and termites when the sink cabinet was removed. The rot went all the way through and involved taking apart that section of the wall, a window, the outside stucco and a cement landing to a side door. We also ended up tenting the house for termites. It probably added another 5 weeks to the project and I don't even know how much more for my GC's time. I'll guess another $10k for all that extra work no one will ever see, but had to be done.

5 years ago

For those who have worked with a KD, could you illuminate for us how they charge? I have gone through some of the invoices for the work done at my house, and the KD was a part of the ID's team, so it's hard for me to break out his cost. I have just started a new project and I expect to go through the ID for the KD again.

Are there designers who just provide plans? And how does it work if the designer is overseeing the trades? Is that a separate kind of KD or can all KDs do that?

I found this online:

Redesigning a kitchen is not as cut and dry a job as it seems. While you can certainly help get a cooking space looking new by switching out cabinets and countertops alone or use a simple architect's plan in a new build, both convenience and style go beyond the actual space and must fuse to deliver a truly usable and beautiful room. In fact, to many homeowners, the kitchen is one of the most critical areas of the house and is certainly a "selling point" for many real estate agents. In this regard, adding a functional, modern and stylish kitchen is one of the best investments you can make, no matter the age of your home.

The cost of a high-end professional kitchen designer can easily equal 8–10% of total kitchen remodeling costs — a figure that often ends up in the tens of thousands. In general, remodels that cost up to $100,000 have design fees of 10%, while those $100,000 and up have designer fees of 8%. Take a look at some of these examples to see fee amounts incurred at each level:

• $10,000–$20,000 project cost: fees of $1,500–$3,000 on average
    • $30,000 project cost: 10%, or $3,000 fee
    • $76,000 project cost: 10%, or $7,600 fee
    • $127,000 project cost: 8%, or $10,160 fee

There are other options, however. In fact, whether or not you need to hire a kitchen designer and what level of designer your home needs are personal and very budget-based decisions with a variety of answers ranging from in-house, big-box design services to magazine-ready professional designers. Fortunately, finding the right kitchen design help for your budget and needs is easier (and maybe even cheaper) than you think.

https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/kitchens/kitchen-designer/

5 years ago

PS I totally disagree with the article about the need for a stylish kitchen in selling a house. It is not needed. It is a bonus. It gets the house sold faster- but that's it. If yo live where I live- nobody cares about your kitchen- it will be torn out even if it's brand new and the latest and greatest everything. If you live in a less affluent area, I can't see how the cost of kitchen remodels can be a good investment.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Rita’s post with an article about the cost of hiring a kitchen designer disappeared. It was right above her PS referencing the article.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Before anyone can make assumptions about waht you should do a floor plan of what you have along some pics would be helpful, Also are you keeping your appliances the IMO if the kitchen is small you certainly could do Ikea for the cabinets with a counter from them .Use their designer along with a very detialed drawing of your space that is the best way to save some money, but for sure use a kitchen designer.I disagrre with Rita I believe a kitchen is the best investment you can make for your own enjoyment and for sure a return on that investment when you sell especially in a not so affluent area where people are watching how they spend their money.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

Whatever you decide to do, I believe that you need to know the basics and you should definitely know how will you use the kitchen, what will it make functional for you, you need to know what colors you want to use, what materials you prefer. Basically, you need to know what you want. I wouldn't recommend IKEA. I think your budget is enough to find a well-equipped specialized kitchen remodel store where you can buy everything, from kitchen cabinets, countertops, to backsplash, floor tile, sink, faucet, etc. These stores often have 3D design and designers that can help you. They also often work with contractors so they can recommend a good one.

5 years ago

Here is the post that went missing. Thank you for pointing it out Zalco.

Patricia, I certainly love having a great kitchen. I suppose my views are skewed from living in an area where once you can afford a nice house, you tend to want everything done to your exact specifications, or conversely, you can barely afford the mortgage on your house and will live with whatever is there. Those tend to be the two kind of buyers on the SF Peninsula. I know nothing about normal real estate.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

For those who have worked with a KD, could you illuminate for us how they charge? I have gone through some of the invoices for the work done at my house, and the KD was a part of the ID's team, so it's hard for me to break out his cost. I have just started a new project and I expect to go through the ID for the KD again.

Are there designers who just provide plans? And how does it work if the designer is overseeing the trades? Is that a separate kind of KD or can all KDs do that?

I found this online:

Redesigning a kitchen is not as cut and dry a job as it seems. While you can certainly help get a cooking space looking new by switching out cabinets and countertops alone or use a simple architect's plan in a new build, both convenience and style go beyond the actual space and must fuse to deliver a truly usable and beautiful room. In fact, to many homeowners, the kitchen is one of the most critical areas of the house and is certainly a "selling point" for many real estate agents. In this regard, adding a functional, modern and stylish kitchen is one of the best investments you can make, no matter the age of your home.

The cost of a high-end professional kitchen designer can easily equal 8–10% of total kitchen remodeling costs — a figure that often ends up in the tens of thousands. In general, remodels that cost up to $100,000 have design fees of 10%, while those $100,000 and up have designer fees of 8%. Take a look at some of these examples to see fee amounts incurred at each level:

• $10,000–$20,000 project cost: fees of $1,500–$3,000 on average
    • $30,000 project cost: 10%, or $3,000 fee
    • $76,000 project cost: 10%, or $7,600 fee
    • $127,000 project cost: 8%, or $10,160 fee

There are other options, however. In fact, whether or not you need to hire a kitchen designer and what level of designer your home needs are personal and very budget-based decisions with a variety of answers ranging from in-house, big-box design services to magazine-ready professional designers. Fortunately, finding the right kitchen design help for your budget and needs is easier (and maybe even cheaper) than you think.

https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/kitchens/kitchen-designer/

• caligirl5
    5 years ago

Here's what I paid for design help for a kitchen/bath remodel in HCOLA with significant structural changes. I would not do it all piece meal like this if I were doing it over.

• Kitchen designer $1143: I got really good design ideas and plans that were intended to be enough for permits. She would have applied the design fees to cabinets, but she sold Wood-Mode, so we both knew upfront the cabinets would be out of budget.
    • Architect: $720: My project went on hold for a few years once I started getting estimates (needed to save more money). Once I'd selected a GC he said we needed more detailed drawings for permits, so I used his recommended architect to do that. Basically she just did drawings and didn't change much with the design.
    • Cabinet design: $375 (was refunded). The cabinet design had changed a bit from the original KD design, so KD at the cabinet dealer did drawings for that. Nearly everything was refunded in my cabinet order. If I had to do it over, I would have gone back to the original KD, who was way more knowledgeable, even though the cost wouldn't have been refunded.
    • Interior design: $500 for 2 hours. A local interior designer came and helped me finalize finishes and paint colors.

Total $2363 on $125K kitchen/bath project. None of this was project management, but I do wish I'd had more/better project management either from a designer or GC and in hindsight would have spent more for that. I think that's what the OP realized too with her last project.

So I am a big advocate of paying for design help, and think the more the better, but you do have control over how much you spend. I also agree that small budget and small space projects absolutely need design help. Remodeling is so expensive, it's important to do things right the first time. If your budget is $20K, you probably can't afford do-overs if something goes wrong.

Danielle C. thanked caligirl5
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for that information caligirl. That is so incredibly helpful!

• Danielle C.
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This thread has given me a lot to think about! I do have room to bump up my budget but coming right off of purchasing the house I don't want to go over 25K, frankly. But, to answer Allie, the list of what needs to be done is:

Cabinets, Floor, Backsplash, Counters, Sink, Oven (*could be put off), Dishwasher, New Light Fixture, Pantry Shelving in Nook by Fridge.

We bought a new refrigerator when we moved in, so that's not on the list. We're not knocking down a wall or changing anything about the footprint, not moving any appliances from where they presently are, or anything like that. Since it's somewhat limited on counter space (but still functional) I will likely purchase a moveable kitchen island later. The previous owners left one behind and I've been utilizing it; at just shy of ~200 sq ft, I don't see installing an island in the middle of my floor as a viable solution.

I initially planned to put the kitchen off until next year but the cabinets are simply too small, but worst of all, they're practically falling apart. I actually suspect the cabinets might have been salvaged elsewhere and installed-- they are warped in ways that might suggest water damage though there's no water damage in the house, one door is literally taped together, they're crackled/chipped, and so on. The sellers took a lot of very odd shortcuts in their house and tried to badly DIY things, and I think the kitchen was a victim of this.

Since it doesn't seem plausible to just change out all the cabinets alone, that's why I'm trying to figure out my steps in just undertaking the whole kitchen job.

• User
    5 years ago

What is your DIY skill level? And how fast can you save another 25K. Because 20-25K is about average for just cabinets in a medium grade kitchen remodel.

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2018/

5 years ago

Ikea is a great value.

• alcapulco
    5 years ago

It is overwhelming. we are doing our kitchen over too. not changing the format. we have a new refrigerator but everything else goes. My budget hopefully will be $20,000 . I found sink-faucet-range hood-range and counter microwave online which will be shipped free no sales tax. We went to the slab yard and found beautiful quartzite for $900 each we need 2 slabs. The biggest saving will be the cabinets. Look at the RTA cabinets in your area. Ours will be shaker style, all solid maple doors with dovetail joints, soft close and furniture grade plywood on the sides. Our 42" cabs with molding , slide out shelves, some doors and some drawers , and some glass doors will cost $9000 for a avg size kitchen. with all the labor and supplies i expect to pay around $20000---$22000. Say what you will about RTA cabs but we have them in our bathrooms and they are beautiful. WAY cheaper than the junk sold in the big box stores. Good Luck

• Danielle C.
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To Sophie, I only have a total of 8 cabinets presently in my kitchen that I would replace. I definitely have heard plenty of people say that cabinets take you by surprise price-wise, but another 25K would be just over 3K apiece. My expectation is not to have them custom-built; is that where the cost projection would be coming in?

• User
    5 years ago

Non faux parts assemblers, aka real Custom would be more.

Quality, American made, semi custom in a 12x12 kitchen, with the bells and whistles that people demand, such as paint (+20%) full overlay (+15%), all drawers(+20%) , trash pullout (+$500), uppers and stacked molding to the ceiling(+25%), a fridge cabinet alcove(+$1000-1500), a pantry with pull out shelves(+$1500-2000), etc.++++ is where that number comes from. And 40 years experience.

If you choose lower quality stock cabinets, your kitchen is smaller, you don’t want painted cabinets, you’re OK with partial overlay, you’re OK with shorter cabinets, etc.- - - then your number will be smaller.

Stay away from cheepchinesecrapola, which 98% of RTA cabinets are. It’s Terrible quality. Most people have zero ability to judge cabinet quality, because they have no idea what to look for. All they do is hear buzz words and think that means it’s good. It isn’t.

Post an actual measured layout of your kitchen space, and you can get concrete suggestions, and potential concrete numbers. On average though, mid grade semi custom for a small kitchen with few of the upgrades listed above could be half or less than that of an average sized kitchen.

• alcapulco
    5 years ago

our "upgraded" merrilat cabinets have lasted 20yrs and are still going strong. We want to upgrade and i'm sure these RTA will last longer than us. Our home is not in the million dollar range so a $50,000 plus kitchen is not needed. Our bathroom vanities look beautiful still 5 yrs and ongoing. And the company has an aplus from the BBB. good enough for me.

• Jim Foreman
    5 years ago

Well, this is Kim--not a pro, but I get the do it on a budget thing. I think it's imperative that you get a good contractor. I also think that you need to do your research. We did our kitchen for less than 20K. everything new but the flooring, fridge, and oven. We did plan and research for about a year. Find your contractor now--if you get a good one, it'll take 9 months to a year before he/she is available to do the work. If the contractor is available any day now--beware. If you are new to your area, this first step may be a tough one. Ask people you know. You may even be able to get some references from this site, or Angies list, or Home Depot/Lowes. You may even be able to do the remodel in steps, so that you can save up and get higher quality products down the line. It sounds like your cabinets are the main driver.

Interview your contractors. Get more than one quote. We have an excellent, well trusted contractor, whom we have worked with on many projects. We like this contractor, because he is a good communicator. He will talk budget with us, and he spells out cost for products and labor in his quotes.

There are cabinet lines that are lower end. Sophie doesn't use those lines, because she has a wealthier clientele, and has excellent experience and taste. She also probably makes bank on those better lines, so who can blame her for the position she takes on this subject? It makes sense that she put her opinions out there, and she is right about the quality to a certain degree. Perhaps the lower quality cabinets you purchase won't last quite as long, or get your home onto the most saved photo list on this site. However, if your cabinets are falling apart, have an unpleasant odor, are rotting out, and your budget is 20 K, then you have to get creative and savvy. New cabinets that function and aren't rotting are a priority. Sometimes the driver isn't house beautiful--it's function over form because of the budget! (But don't throw form out entirely--that is still important too! That's where creative and savvy come in!)

You can go to Ikea, or to Craigs list for gently used cabinets, or RTA, or a big box store...or any number of other places--but you have to do your homework! Learn about the products, measure your layout--realize you may need someone- contractor and/or KD who can tell you that you need a spacer here or there. You don't HAVE to set your refrigerator back to be in line with your cabinets--it looks nice, flows better, but may be cost prohibitive. I think that $3000 on a 20K budget seems quite high, but $1500 if you know that you don't have a very good handle on how this all works may save you a lot of dough down the line. You know your ability to do this better than I do.

We went with Wolf cabinets, which have several lines--less expensive to more expensive. There are fewer choices/finishes in the lower cost lines. The lower end line cost was comparable to the RTA in cost, except these come assembled. Also these are made in America--check out their site. The lower end cabinet boxes are well made, and these have all the high quality, soft close features ( and use the same hardware used in the more expensive lines and custom cabinets). You can get 42 inch high wall units, Lazy Susans, drawer units. You CAN get full overlay in the lower end. You don't need crown molding right now--but you can plan to add it in the future if you want to do so. You can Rev a Shelf for your trash unit-Amazon/Build/all the box stores have Storage solutions that can save you money too.

Measure your space--standard depths are less expensive--24 inch depth for lowers 12 inch for uppers. Think about how/when you/your spouse cook/use the kitchen. We kept the footprint of ours essentially the same, but made small changes that had a BIG impact in how smoothly things run in the mornings with 2 cooks in a very small kitchen. Hopefully this will help you. It can be fun, creative, and nerve wracking at the same time. Good luck. There are all sorts of good advice already given on here. You're going to have to tease out what will work for you.

• girl_wonder
    5 years ago

Yes, hire a designer! We remodeled our guest bath 10 years ago. It’s a big improvement but now that I’m looking to do a big kitchen and master bath remodel I’ve brought in designers and as part of the interview I’ve walked them through the existing house and mentioned that the guest bath feels like a lost opportunity—it could have been better. They’ve been able to point out some of what’s working and not working. So for me, if I had invested in a designer for the guest bath, the cost for materials would have been about the same, and the result would have been better. Live and learn!

BTW, you can call and find out about each designer’s pricing structure. Some charge a flat fee. Some charge an hourly rate. Sometimes they are able to pass along some trade discount to you. And..in the process of interviewing them (and having them look at your plans and your space) you’ll get a better sense of whether it’s worth it to hire then. I don’t think it’s kosher to expect them to give you all (or any?) or their design answers for free, but in hearing what factors they will consider, that might convince you that their knowledge and experience are good investments.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Danielle, another option for cabinetry is Green Demolitions.

I understand the thinking of those who say you can't afford to hire design help, as well as those who say you can't afford not to : ) . But I would at least start without paid design help, using the assistance of the talented amateurs and professionals on the Kitchen forum, and see how far you can get.

Read through the Kitchen forum FAQ, which has lots of useful information about getting started. Also read through the kitchen forum archives to get an idea of just how forum members here can help you.

And then draw a layout of your kitchen, with measurements, and then post it here. There's a good chance that folks here can help you maximize the storage and efficiency of your kitchen.

If you end up having to hire a professional, well, at least you tried : ) .

• Kate
    5 years ago

How does one find a kitchen designer? I live in a small town.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Get a piggy bank, listen to Sophie, and delay. Unless you soon plan to move again, the kitchen you DO will be the kitchen you remain stuck with. Once done and love it, is far better than "hurry, gotta have it, and oh well.............."

Don't lipstick a pig. You will just get a pig with some lipstick on it. There ARE some skilled sales/KD'S in cabinet shops......... and they often have decent contractors to recommend. Example?

I'm not one to test drive GC's. I have two great GC's But in a very tight pinch recently, I took the word of a KD I used in a good local custom cabinet shop who recently struck out on his own. Pleasantly surprised? You bet I was. I found a GEM of a GC. I mean a true gem with incredible pricing, super subs, matched with great skill, and a "picky picky picky" trait that I love. Yeah.......call me VERY pleasantly surprised. I now have three: )

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

If you want to see what what GardenWeb members have accomplished with only free advice, look through the Finished Kitchen blog here. Admittedly the heyday was a number of years ago, but there are still many people getting invaluable assistance in the Kitchen forum from members like cpartist, Mrs. Pete, buehl, and more.

It will be easier to understand just how far your $20,000 will go with some photographs of your current kitchen and a layout with measurements (hand-drawn is fine).

And it might even be possible for folks to recommend reasonably priced KDs, builders, GCs etc. if we have an idea what region of the country you're in.

• allie
    5 years ago

Our kitchen is ~200 sqft too. It's not so small that it's mini, but it is small. It's perfect for just my husband and I though.

1. Floors would come first because that is the foundation of it all. There are many opinions on this, but ideally, running floors under the dishwasher and cabinets keeps everything on the same level. You can save money by not doing this, but depending on your flooring choices, a leaky dishwasher can be less of a nightmare on a tile floor than sitting on subfloor. (budget for tile floors: $1800 for tile and installation, saying that you did the demo yourself)

2. The dishwasher needs to be selected prior to the cabinets. There are standard sizes, but there are several standards. (budget: $700, keeping in mind that nothing lasts like it used to, and you need the items that will last for decades to be where your budget goes)

3. Cabinets could come next. (budget: $13,500) Keep it simple, no special drawers, pullouts, etc. These are cheaper to add when the cabinets are made, but your budget it too tight for extras. Instead, select the best construction you can with no particle board. If you have a woodworking school near you, having your kitchen be a student's project would mean you have the instructor's experience alongside a student, and that can save some money with an impressive result. This choice isn't for everyone, but the quality return per dollar can be well worth it if you have the patience for a slower turnaround.

4. Then select the sink and, if you aren't reusing your faucet, a new faucet, followed by the counters (fabricator, installer, actual product). (budget: $4000 if you stay away from the higher end choices like Cambria quartz and quartzite)

Backsplashes, Light Fixtures, Pantry Shelving (in fridge nook), and Oven (*could be put off) can be done independently, after the others are in. I actually changed my tile selection quite a bit after my counters were in. And this gives you the ability to save for each beyond the $20K budget and choose what you want.

Obviously, the budget is a very rough suggestion, not knowing what styles, priorities, and products you are wanting for each.

Danielle C. thanked allie